All things Dundee FC

IMHO, if McCann does let Haber go, without bringing someone else in, and leaves us with just Moussa and Mandy as first team out and out strikers, albeit with Henvey and Wighton as well, that's a serious dereliction of duty. He surely must realise we need extra firepower?? Maybe all the money being saved on wages etc means going back in for that guy from Orient whose names escapes me at the moment. Fingers crossed...

5 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

IMHO, if McCann does let Haber go, without bringing someone else in, and leaves us with just Moussa and Mandy as first team out and out strikers, albeit with Henvey and Wighton as well, that's a serious dereliction of duty. He surely must realise we need extra firepower?? Maybe all the money being saved on wages etc means going back in for that guy from Orient whose names escapes me at the moment. Fingers crossed...

Thats what I'm hoping anyway - either the guy from Orient (Macauley Bonne) or McCann maybe has someone else in mind.

Either way we need at least one striker in as it is and two if Haber is away/never going to get a game.

10 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

I read somewhere in the last day or two that McCann said he was speaking to a couple of English clubs with a view to getting one or two players in so hopefully we'll have a couple of new faces before the window closes. 

Regarding the guy Bonne from Orient, I think he's on record as saying he doesn't want to move to Scotland. Clearly he has no ambition. Move on to the next target. 

Edited by Dee Man
Too much use of the word 'couple'. Thank you.

I'm away to go on a bit of a slightly negative rant here so apologies in advance. 

Haber doesn't work as hard as McCann would like. Fair enough. Other than slightly more effort, what does Moussa bring to the team that Haber does not? On a technical level, there is not a single attribute that Moussa is better than Haber at. 

McCann has stuck by Moussa to our detriment. It shows how much McCann's system has struggled that we may as well just give up on a game when a haddy like Moussa isn't on the pitch due to the fact he's the only player we can stick up front that has any presence. 

Moussa was a joke figure for the longest time but during the LC, McCann has handed him the captaincy! He may have turned his image around ever so slightly but is that because he's genuinely looked like a formidable player or because we have no alternative?

If McCann doesn't bring in a hold up striker as well as another to challenge Mendy then we'd be as well as giving up the ghost. I've been severely critical of us not purchasing season tickets but if our whole style of play is dependent on Moussa being fit for the season, then who can blame them? 

I've began to like Moussa despite the rantings above, but it'll be absolutely criminal if he has no competition yet again. We can bring in Greg Stewart for all I care, we'd still have a fundamental flaw that Moussa is injury prone and we have a squad that doesn't work without a target man - and we've punted our most effective one out on loan because McCann doesn't like him. 

And breath! 

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm away to go on a bit of a slightly negative rant here so apologies in advance. 

Haber doesn't work as hard as McCann would like. Fair enough. Other than slightly more effort, what does Moussa bring to the team that Haber does not? On a technical level, there is not a single attribute that Moussa is better than Haber at. 

McCann has stuck by Moussa to our detriment. It shows how much McCann's system has struggled that we may as well just give up on a game when a haddy like Moussa isn't on the pitch due to the fact he's the only player we can stick up front that has any presence. 

Moussa was a joke figure for the longest time but during the LC, McCann has handed him the captaincy! He may have turned his image around ever so slightly but is that because he's genuinely looked like a formidable player or because we have no alternative?

If McCann doesn't bring in a hold up striker as well as another to challenge Mendy then we'd be as well as giving up the ghost. I've been severely critical of us not purchasing season tickets but if our whole style of play is dependent on Moussa being fit for the season, then who can blame them? 

I've began to like Moussa despite the rantings above, but it'll be absolutely criminal if he has no competition yet again. We can bring in Greg Stewart for all I care, we'd still have a fundamental flaw that Moussa is injury prone and we have a squad that doesn't work without a target man - and we've punted our most effective one out on loan because McCann doesn't like him. 

And breath! 

On the plus side have you ever seen such a glorious six pack?

All jokes aside Moussa is a hold up man more than an out and out striker. Under the Hartley we had nippy forward thinking players and it worked for us but when we faced a defensive team we got sank on the counter. 

Now we have slowed down and play out from the back but now no longer have nippy forward thinking players.

That game against Dunfermline, and it has taken me a while to realise this but, the reason I was annoyed is because we used to play like that. It was entertaining and what got us our top six spot.

Now we are literally baiting teams to come at us and we for some reason now don't have a reassuring source of goals or a reassuring defense. Recipe for disaster but I remain optimistic in the new blood. They seem hungry and have some talent on the ball.

I'm not a fan of Moussa. He doesn't score goals and whether he is meant to hold the ball up or not, he is a striker and should still be scoring goals. He is not even that great at holding the ball up, he goes over to easy and hardly ever gets the foul. 

I'm hoping Mendy turns out to be a goal scorer, if not we are going to have to look to the midfield for goals.

A few mentions on Twitter you've been working on getting Greg Stewart on loan for months. 

You should be wary about that, players who go down south and get bulked out rarely return the same. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

A few mentions on Twitter you've been working on getting Greg Stewart on loan for months. 

You should be wary about that, players who go down south and get bulked out rarely return the same. 

He won't come back to us, he fell out with a few fans at the Peterhead game a few seasons ago so can't see him coming back 

Like Stevie May?

He has paid for a keeper. Is he worth the money when we have someone just as good ?
The left back seems to be a worry for everyone.
Our strike force everyone has backed Moussa and McCann rates him very highly.
The midfield we seem to have plenty of. Maybe a bit of tombola between them.

Meh if McCann gets us to 9th in the league and a cup run ( either one ) then I will be happy. This is his team now and has had a lot of backing from Nelms.

Just have to see what happens :-)
i would have been more than happy with cerny in to compete with parish. i do rate hamilton but theres not much between him and cerny. also would have saved on paying a fee and im sure his wages will be less.

does anyone else think this boy Nabi will be habers replacement?

To me McCann is still in the new young inexperienced manager mode, thinks he can install a certain style of play on players that aren't up to it in a league that it doesn't suit. He's obviously pretty stubborn or extremely confident in his methods and his dealings  in and out but from what I've seen so far from that squad and without any real 'proven' quality coming in,  can't see this season being anything other than another struggle to survive.....sound familiar?

44 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

True, and I don't think our squad is balanced enough for us to compensate for his defensive lapses - Particularly if it's Ralph behind him, but f**k me, it'd be worth it as the excitement he'd bring would bring in a much, much needed lift to our fanbase whether he flops or not.

22 minutes ago, ah-dee said:

i would have been more than happy with cerny in to compete with parish. i do rate hamilton but theres not much between him and cerny. also would have saved on paying a fee and im sure his wages will be less.

does anyone else think this boy Nabi will be habers replacement?

Cerny is comfortably better than both Hamilton and Parish IMO. With Gourlay and Ferrie being highly rated, we should have went down the experienced keeper route to compete with Parish and for the younger ones to learn from.

I really, really hope not but he probably will be. If he is, we need another at least.

6 hours ago, CanadianDee said:

Moussa seems to have won everyone over because he seems like a nice guy whereas Haber seems like a poser that dresses like a clown. Neither of those two things affect me in the slightest so I don't care about those issues. Frankly I'd rather ship Moussa to Falkirk and keep Haber as he's a better player in almost every way.

Moussa was atrocious against the Blue Toon yesterday, laughably bad, and Mendy looked bewildered in the first half trying to figure out where Moussa was going or what he was doing, and that first touch he's got, lol. Mendy looked a lot better when Wighton came on in place of Moussa.

They both have injury issues, but what's with Moussa's shot by a sniper, stretchered off routine, and back in business 3 days later like nothing happened? Yes Haber had back surgery a few months ago, but Moussa is no ironman.

All I can hope is that Sir Neil has something big lined up in the way of frontmen because if we have to rely on Moussa as a focal point this season we're going to back where we were last season or worse if Caulker and Kamara go. If NM loves Moussa as much as he seems too and is the first name on the team sheet every week I fear for us. If Moussa does play every week I hope something 'clicks' that I just can't see and becomes a real handful for opponents that aren't in League 2. I just don't see it. Prove me wrong Moose, prove me wrong.

Only complete idiots rate Moussa. In reality he is absolutely awful, I dont even think he is Championship standard.

5 minutes ago, Crawford said:

I'm going to say Ralph made a few slack passes but in all he is better than holty.

I hope you turn out to be right.

We've not really done well at LB over the years. The last genuine quality LB we had was Lockwood? Unfortunately he was on his way down by the time we signed him though. Before that? Beghetto/Marrocco? We've had some amount of duds at LB.

I hope you turn out to be right.
We've not really done well at LB over the years. The last genuine quality LB we had was Lockwood? Unfortunately he was on his way down by the time we signed him though. Before that? Beghetto/Marrocco? We've had some amount of duds at LB.
eddie malone [emoji33]