All things Dundee FC

45 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

I'm not sure how I feel about Shankland. The boys clearly talented. Aberdeen wouldn't have given him gametime at 17 if he wasn't a talent. You can read as much as you like into his loan spells but he's still only 22. 

My biggest concern would be paying a fee for him. If he doesn't score within a couple of games it'll be used by some as a stick to beat him with. You can already see it happening with Hamilton after 2 games.

I've still got faith - like a couple of others - that Mendy could score a good few goals this season. 

Still maintain we should be good to go if we can sign a striker and LB. 

Hamilton was not ready for his debut. Needs loaned out at lower levels but we have young lads already doing that. It was a waste of funds whatever way you look at it.

Not one would disagree with you though we are desperate for a natural LB and a striker. Don't see anything happening and being legal for Saturday though unless it happens in the next hour or two.

Edited by Crawford
I'm a moron.

1 minute ago, harry94 said:

Just out of interest, what sort of money are his wages meant to be? My thinking was maybe there could be an unpleasant release clause in there that persuaded him to stick around amid interest elsewhere.

We reckon he's on about £800 - £1,000 per week but it appears the real reason he opted to stay is that he is genuinely enjoying his football at Ayr and is friends with all the guys he plays with. You can actually see it on the park where all our players are playing with a smile on their faces and actually look to be enjoying it. Trust me, it's not something we've seen at Somerset for many years !!

There's not many genuine decent guys around in football these days but Shanks does appear to be one of them, he was a free agent at the end of last season but despite approaches from Hearts, Hibs and a couple of Laegue 1 clubs in England he became one of the first in our squad to re-sign.

The other issue we would have with selling him is that Craig Moore is really our only other out and out striker and he's currently out and has been pretty injury prone over the past couple of seasons, so I really can't see us parting with our prize asset for a 100k and then having no striker available, especially when the season begins tomorrow and most decent guys will have already been snapped up.

20 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Hamilton was not ready for his debut. Needs loaned out at lower levels but we have young lads already doing that. It was a waste of funds whatever way you look at it.

Not one would disagree with you though we are desperate for a natural LB and a striker. Don't see anything happening and being legal for Saturday though unless it happens in the next hour or two.

Eh?!

You genuinely think Hamilton - who's started nearly 50 games in the SPL needs loaned out to a lower level because he's not good enough? Wow, that's some assessment based on two games. 

I think (?) this proves my point about Shankland and the burden a fee may carry among some at Dens. 

I have heard, from my ‘source’ at Fannydice, that the Goodwillie story has, or had a month or so ago, some truth about it.

Good lad Fifespud, I think you are the first poster to use Fannydice after I coined it a few weeks ago.
That's the stuff for those cunters who play there.

27 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Eh?!

You genuinely think Hamilton - who's started nearly 50 games in the SPL needs loaned out to a lower level because he's not good enough? Wow, that's some assessment based on two games. 

I think (?) this proves my point about Shankland and the burden a fee may carry among some at Dens. 

I'll be honest I was t aware of his other starts but that is more of an embarrassment. He was glued to his line and looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

El bak banged them in for fun too at that level but struggled to hit the target at Dens.

In any case paying for Hamilton was a mistake.

12 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

All excited for tomoro.

No clue what the line up is gonna be. Still looking for players to come in still.
Kamara and caulker seem to still be at the club even though people seem to think 1 of them will still be gone.
Has anyone actually put an offer in for Kamara yet?

3 points to start the season off against potential relegation contenders.

No bids for either Kamara or Caulker. Hasn't even been much speculation. The fact the English window closes early gives me more hope of keeping them until January at least, probably the end of the season (although both will then leave for nothing). 

4 minutes ago, an-dee said:

No bids for either Kamara or Caulker. Hasn't even been much speculation. The fact the English window closes early gives me more hope of keeping them until January at least, probably the end of the season (although both will then leave for nothing). 

What, you don't think either of them will want to be part of our Champions League campaign next season?????:thumsup2

17 minutes ago, Crawford said:

I'll be honest I was t aware of his other starts but that is more of an embarrassment. He was glued to his line and looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

El bak banged them in for fun too at that level but struggled to hit the target at Dens.

In any case paying for Hamilton was a mistake.

Fucking hell, he's played two competitive games and conceded one goal (which blatantly wasn't his fault and is a ridiculous analysis to make).

The Hamilton stuff has gone well overboard. You'd think he's flogged 4 or 5 goals in his games the way people have talked about him. A goalkeeper is the one position where relationships and confidence is important so he's not going to come in and suddenly look like Buffon in pre-season.

8 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Fucking hell, he's played two competitive games and conceded one goal (which blatantly wasn't his fault and is a ridiculous analysis to make).

The Hamilton stuff has gone well overboard. You'd think he's flogged 4 or 5 goals in his games the way people have talked about him. A goalkeeper is the one position where relationships and confidence is important so he's not going to come in and suddenly look like Buffon in pre-season.

Tbf to Crawford he was like that for years at Hearts. He might turn out to be brilliant for you but I wouldn't have wanted him at my club. There's a lot better out there, especially if you're paying a fee.

4 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Was he worth paying a fee for when we have a keeper who is on par with him ?
What has parish done wrong to potentially be second choice goalkeeper ?

We have been chopping n changing our team pretty much all last season and in pre season ( pre season i have no issue with, ).

Hamilton in my opinion was not worth paying money for where we need to be spending money elsewhere

Parish is far from a top flight 'keeper, it's still a problem area. His ability to come for high balls is non-existent and the likes of Trevor Carson are far far superior all round in their ability to take a huge amount of pressure off the defence and kill attacks stone dead. I like the guy and he's dependable enough but let's not overhype his abilities, we were still amongst the worst defence in the league throught his time as number 1.

Hamilton is a big gamble but he is somebody who has had a very big reputation behind him in the past and is still only 24 (which is still really young for a 'keeper). There's a good chance he could improve into that potential and solve the issue. It might not work out that way but we've got a pretty steady below average 'keeper right now who isn't getting any better so if Hamilton has been signed with potential, he has to play and get the chance to develop or it is pointless.

I'd be pretty wary about making assumptions about transfer fees as well tbh. From what we know, we're currently 6 players lighter so far this season and would also have made financial commitments to the likes of Williams, Hateley etc to force them to move on. It doesn't mean we can go spending millions but that's probably given us relief to the sum of £300-350k. That attached to the fact that we're still actively recruiting and seem to be open to suggest paying a transfer fee makes me think we're in OK shape. The Hamilton deal as well was undisclosed and I think applying the £100k fee to it too is a huge assumption.

52 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Who has over hyped his abilities ?
Worst defence in league yet he had more clean sheets than Bain. Also the tombola in our defence last season was different.
If Hamilton was that good or hearts felt he was do you think they would of let him go?.
For me it's the fact we have paid money for a keeper that a team around us didn't want.
Already mentioned for coming for crosses he is a bombscare.

He's played two games for us and it seems to be stated with fact that he's this horrific 'keeper at coming for crosses because, when he made a few mistakes in his first ever season of regular senior football (which pretty much every 'keeper does) which was also the same season that he was called up for the international squad. Last season he come in when he had his chance at the end of the season and played very well.

Hearts will comfortably have at least double our budget (a 'keeper on £3-4k a week is costing £150-200k per season) and (rightly) feel that they can go out and sign a quality number 1 who is instantly going to perform. Being judged inadequate as a young player at Hearts (to play in a position which requires a huge amount of consistency) far from dooms him from being a failure in the top flight forever. Letting him develop at the same level is something that could make him a better player and lead to sell on fees so they aren't going to stunt him like that.

Just now, G_Man1985 said:

This however is not incorrect information. Even hearts fans of told us of how good is.
My point is he is no better than what we already have.
And at the time I was under the impression we were looking for a keeper who was better than what we ready have

Competition is good to have but stability is important.

But how do you come to that though? Genuinely how highly do you rate Parish?

Who has over hyped his abilities ?
Worst defence in league yet he had more clean sheets than Bain. Also the tombola in our defence last season was different.
If Hamilton was that good or hearts felt he was do you think they would of let him go?.
For me it's the fact we have paid money for a keeper that a team around us didn't want.
Already mentioned for coming for crosses he is a bombscare.

2 clean sheets for Parish out of 2.

I agree however stability we need to have so i hope we don't chop and change.

I hope personally Parish is still our number 1 goalkeeper this season with meekings and caulker infront of him.
Right back is good competition however left back I'd rather we invest in a get someone good in. However maybe Ralph just needs time to gel.

The rest of the team I think will change most weeks.
would caulker and meekings be your preferred CB pairing? personally i would prefer caulker and kusunga.

57 minutes ago, harry94 said:

He's played two games for us and it seems to be stated with fact that he's this horrific 'keeper at coming for crosses because, when he made a few mistakes in his first ever season of regular senior football (which pretty much every 'keeper does) which was also the same season that he was called up for the international squad. Last season he come in when he had his chance at the end of the season and played very well.

Hearts will comfortably have at least double our budget (a 'keeper on £3-4k a week is costing £150-200k per season) and (rightly) feel that they can go out and sign a quality number 1 who is instantly going to perform. Being judged inadequate as a young player at Hearts (to play in a position which requires a huge amount of consistency) far from dooms him from being a failure in the top flight forever. Letting him develop at the same level is something that could make him a better player and lead to sell on fees so they aren't going to stunt him like that.

Hearts literally didn't have another keeper when they let Hamilton go. 

Have to say I'm on GMan's side with this. Parish is quite decent in the air and commands his box well. I think Harry is underplaying Parish' abilities to back-up his faith in Hamilton. 

Hamilton was partly at fault for the 1 goal he's conceded and even if he is slightly better than Parish, there was absolutely no reason to spend the kind of money we have done on him. 

We have 2 very talented goalkeepers ready to breakthrough, most likely one will be pushing for a place next season. By bringing in Hamilton we've also potentially stifled there chances because unless he's disastrous they'll not get a sniff whereas they could have benefited from learning off an older, more experienced keeper whom is already better than Hamilton and Parish. 

As for Parish vs Hamilton from the limited bits I've seen (And I include Hamilton's appearances for Hearts), there's no contest for me. At this point in time, Parish is the superior keeper - not that I think he's anything above average. 

Finally, the point that Hamilton made the Scotland squad is somehow indicative of his abilities is a poor one. The likes of Craig Samson and Scott Fox have been called up to the squads too. 

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

Had some great catches during the 2 games he’s played for us. . Also had a couple of very good saves. He’s shite though because some Hearts fan who may or may not know f**k all about football said he once never came off his line for a cross. The fact he’s already been in a national squad tells you he has something about him. 

Parish is steady enough but he’s had a few schoolboy errors coming for crosses in his time here that have cost us goals with dropped catches and punching them against our defenders.