All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Shankland 'came along' - McCall transformed him. Shankland was a laughing stock in the lower leagues who had just been punted by Aberdeen. There's a reason it was a League 1 team that picked him up.

McCall has won League 1 and achieved promotion through the play-offs, was relegated with Ayr when they were part time (Hardly a criminal offense) and had them punching well above their weight this season. That is sustained success.

He excelled at his last club too. That being Partick as you note, which may well be almost a decade ago, but you skew your argument there because he decided to walk away from the game for 4 year ie, the 4 year he was without a job.

I hate Ian McCall, but to slate his managerial credentials is just bollocks.

Ian McCall is a 54 year old manager, who's been managing for 22 years, and has spent 2 seasons in the top flight. He "excelled at Partick", by rebuilding them, but still never achieved anything better than a 2nd placed finish in the 2nd tier. 

Theres literally nothing to suggest he'd get you promoted if he was hired.

39 minutes ago, Radford said:

Ian McCall built a brilliant Falkirk team, one of the best second tier teams of recent memory. And he took over a side that would have been relegated but for Airdrieonians going bust. An Airdrie side he had on the brink of promotion to the SPL.

He's done reasonably well in pretty much all his jobs IMO.

Recent memory? He left them 16 years ago. His Airdrie spell was before that too.

Hes since had QOS on the brink of relegation, had Dundee United bottom of the league in March, took Partick to a 6th/5th/2nd place finish in the second tier, then got Ayr promoted from the third tier twice, being relegated from the second tier in between.

25 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Cheers. I was just curious if this was him getting into it off the back of retiring or if it was something he'd been working on in the background. He's still only 32 right?

Slightly different sort of appointment for us given he has absolutely zero connection with Motherwell but in terms of profile he seems very like-for-like with McManus.

I thought you lot had Maurice Ross? 

Hadenius and Parish both punted according to Alan Pattullo:

'Players had already begun to drift off. Goalkeeper Elliot Parish and midfielder Andreas Hadenius left the club a few days earlier with their own presumably bitter stories of too few opportunities.'

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/alan-pattullo-jim-mcintyre-s-exit-begins-reconnection-with-dundee-fans-1-4926491

'Players had already begun to drift off. Goalkeeper Elliot Parish and midfielder Andreas Hadenius left the club a few days earlier with their own presumably bitter stories of too few opportunities.'
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/alan-pattullo-jim-mcintyre-s-exit-begins-reconnection-with-dundee-fans-1-4926491

McIntyre was slowly destroying our club. I am convinced that if given the chance he’d have had us relegated from the championship next season.

34 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I wonder why McIntyre was allowed to make such decisions given he was on the way out?  

1 hour ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:

Well said, and you can't possibly go wrong with an ex Arab in charge. emoji476.png

McCall’s a Derryboy, no problems here. 

The Shankland discussion’s bizarre. I take it McCall was just meant to pass up the opportunity of signing him because if it wasn’t for his goals the rest of the team weren’t good enough. Brilliant bit of business from Ayr and quite possibly a good bit of coaching to improve the player. Doubt very much Ayr would have the budget for Shankland and another of his ilk at their club. 

Doesn’t matter anyway, Tommy Wright will get the job. 

34 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I wonder why McIntyre was allowed to make such decisions given he was on the way out?  

Make’s you wonder how many of the 8 young lads who got punted would’ve been kept on by other members of the coaching staff. 

Waddell, Lambert, Henvey and Scott should really be supplementing the squad next season. I’d imagine 4 relatively low wages that would allow the club to spend a bit more on the higher earners. 

Make’s you wonder how many of the 8 young lads who got punted would’ve been kept on by other members of the coaching staff. 
Waddell, Lambert, Henvey and Scott should really be supplementing the squad next season. I’d imagine 4 relatively low wages that would allow the club to spend a bit more on the higher earners. 
Martin Woods match armchair doesn't just reupholster itself.

55 minutes ago, hk blues said:

This is one of the multitude of reasons why we desperately need a DoF type between the ownership and coaching staff, someone who has oversight on the mid to longer term in terms of continuity of playing staff outwith the shorter term necessities a manager has to consider. 

Presumably Todd is a McIntyre signing, so that begs the question what do we do if the new manager simply doesn't rate him?

A DoF role should permit a longer term approach to a more consistent and coherent direction on the pitch, which most decent managers should be able to accommodate. I genuinely believe it's the total lack of this sort of leadership that has seen us chop and change style from manager to manager, repeatedly sign and bin entire squads with alarming regularity, and led to us going backwards consistently over five seasons in the top flight rather than consolidating and building year on year. I'd go as far as to say that given the way things have panned out since 2015 or so,  I think that appointing the correct person into this role is even more necessary and vital than who exactly our next manager is.

1 minute ago, Boo Khaki said:

This is one of the multitude of reasons why we desperately need a DoF type between the ownership and coaching staff, someone who has oversight on the mid to longer term in terms of continuity of playing staff outwith the shorter term necessities a manager has to consider. 

Presumably Todd is a McIntyre signing, so that begs the question what do we do if the new manager simply doesn't rate him?

A DoF role should permit a longer term approach to a more consistent and coherent direction on the pitch, which most decent managers should be able to accommodate. I genuinely believe it's the total lack of this sort of leadership that has seen us chop and change style from manager to manager, repeatedly sign and bin entire squads with alarming regularity, and led to us going backwards consistently over five seasons in the top flight rather than consolidating and building year on year. I'd go as far as to say that given the way things have panned out since 2015 or so,  I think that appointing the correct person into this role is even more necessary and vital than who exactly our next manager is.

I wouldn't worry so much about Todd - he's in the same boat as the rest of the squad except he's not got the negative of being one of the guys who contributed to our relegation.

Yes, McIntyre was clearly allowed to continue making far reaching decisions which does beg the question - W.T.F. was going on at the top?

A GOOD DofF would be a welcome addition, but not just someone acting as a babysitter for another novice manager.  A real one, with actual long-term goals and plans. 

Am starting to worry that, especially with most of the lower league teams  finished for the season and potentially starting to look at signing/releasing players, we will miss out on some decent prospects, as there is no-one in charge. For example, with Kris Doolan being let go by Patrick, he could find a new club before we even have a manager in place who might have wanted to sign him. (Not necessarily saying we should be going after him, but he was the most high-profile player I heard of being released over the last few days.)

Edited by Spikethedee

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I thought you lot had Maurice Ross? 

We do, he's 'Head of 18s - 21s'.

He effectively replaced Craigan. O'Dea will be replacing McManus who left for Celtic around the same time Craigan stepped down.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Nelms' twiddled his thumbs while Rome burned. He is sitting in his office down the hallway while this DAB clown set about wrecking our club. 

Thanks John, cheers!

1 hour ago, Yenitit said:

Nelms shouldn't have allowed the DAB clown to release anyone (although they may technically be still be under contract until June, I don't know) - from the kitman to any players (of any age groups) until a full review was done at the end of the season. Unbelievably a lot of these players were told to get lost AFTER it had become clear that the DABs position was slowly becoming untenable. 

Now like you've stated above Yenitit we need a few of these guys back especially with being in the Championship. Not to mention his treatment of Kerr, and lord knows what else he's been saying to the other players that we don't know about yet. 

I think it's an understatement to say that Nelms needs some help in a big way. What a mess of a club we are!

Edited by CanadianDee

13 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

£26 for a Championship game; is your board having a laugh?

They put season ticket and match day pricing well before relegation was confirmed probably because it was obviously coming. So the prices are based on premiership but either way yes, they are.

20 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

£26 for a Championship game; is your board having a laugh?

Who made you lot a category A game? Tbf, you might be if the DABs get up.