All things Dundee FC

He wouldn't get the jail for a first offence common assault. The only way he'd get the jail is if he already had a dodgy criminal record or if the assault charge was GBH or ABH. If Irvine is found guilty he'll get a fine and/or community service or whatever it's called these days. They've both pled not guilty anyway so let's see what comes out in court. 

Why would you be trying them in the English court system?

What I was told the morning after was that it was over a phone.

McPake thought someone was trying to take a photo of him, called a group of guys ‘a bunch of poofs’ or words along those lines.

The 6-2 game was mentioned then Irvine got involved. And that the guy ‘hit’ wasn’t a United fan, not that it matters.

McPake thought someone was trying to take a photo of him, called a group of guys ‘a bunch of poofs’ or words along those lines.

The 6-2 game was mentioned then Irvine got involved. And that the guy ‘hit’ wasn’t a United fan, not that it matters.

So a bunch of arseholes decided they’d dish it out and instead of take it back went running to the police? Bunch of fucking weapons.

Also extremely creepy and stalkerish taking a picture of someone in a pub imo.

10 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

So a bunch of arseholes decided they’d dish it out and instead of take it back went running to the police? Bunch of fucking weapons.

Also extremely creepy and stalkerish taking a picture of someone in a pub imo.

Yeah daddy’s wee angel never done anything to provoke anyone. 

25 minutes ago, RogerBoli said:

Young hockey player aye?

4 hours ago, harry94 said:

We're in for a dreadful time if Byrne drops out IMO.

He strolls games without people really noticing him. People were fixated on the wrong sub V Thistle, it was his departure which opened up the midfield rather than Gowser who was playing really well but in a much more advanced position and tired.

Nothing fancy but his positional sense is very good and he keeps things going. Maybe a bit redundant in games where we're really dominant but you want him on the pitch when we're up against it.

Shaun Byrne went off on the hour mark and it's not as if Partick were chapping at our door right away after that. You could've replaced him with Paul McHale or Kevin McBride and you wouldn't have noticed the difference. Gowser went off on 75 mins and Thistle were in about us not long afterwards. The fact that Gowser was playing  further forward doesn't mean his substitution couldn't change the shape of the match. You defend from the front. 

We'd be a far weaker team without Gowser than without Byrne IMO.

Edited by Dee Man

If there’s one game in a season where Paul McGowan is the first name on the team sheet it’s this one. Still think Byrne needs to play as well though as he’s the only midfielder we have who can play that deeper role, the rest of our midfielders are more forward thinking although Ness and Robertson could fill in there I think Byrne is more comfortable.

Also Mackie gets so much undeserved stick and I’ve no idea why. I know I’m highly critical of Cammy Kerr on here and I actually think he’s been very good in the last 5/6 games but the goal for Morton on Friday night is no different to numerous goals we’ve lost over the last 12 months because of Cammy Kerr losing his man at the back post yet you never seem to hear about it.

We could definitely use another player like McGowan for making a like for like substitution, but unfortunately neither Ness, Byrne, or Roberston are the type to play that position in the same way.

When we were up in the Premiership I never understood McCann's insistence of playing Gowser in the middle of the 3 behind the stirker when we had the likes of Scot Allan sitting doing nothing. Down in this league though, the players are generally a bit less comfortable on the ball, don't use space as well, so cycling it becomes a wee bit more difficult. Gowser harassing ball-playing defenders and deep midfielders should be a bit more effective in terms of hurrying them into a mistake and giving us the ball back, so I can see the merits of using him there currently. 

On Friday we were going after the three points at home, so moving the better ball player in Dorrans forward into that role once Gowser tired and went off made sense, especially since Morton only ventured out of their own half once in the second half and were obviously content to sit behind the ball and play for a point. When we're trying to hold on to a lead it would be handy to have another terrier-like player to stick in there instead. Against better teams, I think the most expedient thing in the meantime is to hope we have the lead by the time he has to go off, then drop to a more conventional 1-4 or flat 5 in midfield and use some combo of Robertson/Dorrans/Ness/Byrne. I don't think any of them are suited to playing in that advanced role when we're trying to hold a game, and the likes of Todd or McPake are certainly not, which was the annoying thing about the situation at the end of the Partick debacle.

Would keep Byrne just in front of our back 4 - covering when the full-backs get forward. While Dorrans is good at distributing from our half he is far less a threat than when he is further forward. The Morten game first half v second half showed this and I think this was the message McPake got over at half time. If we can get a game we are comfortable in (doesn't happen much) then I would like to see Robertson trying the advanced midfield role as he is still too raw to take on the pivotal role that Byrne can play but he has plenty ability and vision to pick a killer pass. Byrne, though, should work on his speed training/fitness, sometimes looks a bit slow when covering.  

3 hours ago, RossDee01 said:

If there’s one game in a season where Paul McGowan is the first name on the team sheet it’s this one.

McGowan should definitely play, but I’m not sure he should be in goal. 

McPake given Championship Manager of the month award for October, and McDaid player of the month. Great stuff for both of them, thought a Dundee player should win but pleasantly surprised for McPake, deserves it after the turnaround of the last week.