All things Dundee FC

To be honest, wouldn't be against it.
Some investment to make if they still have any ambitions of moving stadium.
Our pitch is usually one of the best in Scotland but this season it's easily been worse than the worst black rubber pebble dashed pitch.

There’s not really been an explanation from the club as to why it’s been so bad. As you say Dens has been consistently one of the best pitches in the country for a long time. The obvious assumption is that they’ve reduced the maintenance budget due to lack of income while we’ve not had fans through the gate (understandably) but it’s been a fairly spectacular drop off in quality.

Not heard anything about the new stadium for a long time. Presume that’ll be put back even further due to the current financial climate

I have nothing to base this on, however I’m becoming increasingly concerned that our Yank paymasters will push for a move to an artificial surface over the summer. Possibly citing the condition of the Dens Park pitch over the winter period. The cost of maintaining a top quality pitch over a wet cold Scottish winter must be enormous. As I say there is no basis for this other than my idle mind.
In all honesty, it's insane that teams like ourselves don't have it. We spend a fortune on upkeep and it's an easy solution to massively cut expense.

I get why people are unhappy on the playing side but in all honesty, I think a lot of it is hysteria. Any time an old firm player gets a slight knock on one, it's a national news story.

5 minutes ago, harry94 said:

In all honesty, it's insane that teams like ourselves don't have it. We spend a fortune on upkeep and it's an easy solution to massively cut expense.

I get why people are unhappy on the playing side but in all honesty, I think a lot of it is hysteria. Any time an old firm player gets a slight knock on one, it's a national news story.

TBF you'd presumably have to go for the same stuff as Hearts to avoid the farces that Hamilton/Livingston have, which cost them around ~£1.5m

Totally agree. The Alloa surface is excellent but maybe you’re better going for a really shite plastic pitch to take full advantage of home advantage. When the opposition turn up and moan like f**k about your strip you must think - magic.

9 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Totally agree. The Alloa surface is excellent but maybe you’re better going for a really shite plastic pitch to take full advantage of home advantage. When the opposition turn up and moan like f**k about your strip you must think - magic.

It's worked for Hamilton. Kept them in the top flight for years.

TBF you'd presumably have to go for the same stuff as Hearts to avoid the farces that Hamilton/Livingston have, which cost them around ~£1.5m

Tynecastle is not an artificial pitch. It’s a Deso pitch, for every 5 blades of grass there is a blade of plastic “grass”. This does reduce wear and tear but won’t solve any problems that are caused by lack of light or growth. I’m not a fan of artificial pitches but if there is a major underlying problem (drainage, thatch or root zone) then from a purely money point of view it might be worth it.

In regards to keepers, I hope we are looking at that McAdams from Morton. Showed great promise this season, looks like he could develop into a top keeper, only 21 and we'd not need to pay much at all in terms of development fee since he's only been at Morton this season.

Calum Ferrie is a year older than him to give some context.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

In regards to keepers, I hope we are looking at that McAdams from Morton. Showed great promise this season, looks like he could develop into a top keeper, only 21 and we'd not need to pay much at all in terms of development fee since he's only been at Morton this season.

Calum Ferrie is a year older than him to give some context.

Genuinely thought he was about 10 years older than that. Done well considering he's basically their only keeper this season.