All things Dundee FC

I don't know if you're right or not, and I don't know if I hope you are or not [emoji16].
I could quite easily see us not gaining another point and Dunfermline managing 6

There is no danger we don't make the playoffs. My worry is we win them somehow. 

We are obsessed with playing the ball around the box with no attempts at goal of any real threat. How Mullen gets a game never mind stays on is one of life's great mysteries.

Surely in that scenario we go for it with Sow and Cummings playing off each other?  Cummings should be the guy you are looking for to nick a late winner, not sitting on the bench with 15 to go.  The Afolabi sub was a total waste of time. 

First goalless draw in 13 months. Very disappointing, though for some reason I'm more just deflated than angry. Have no expectations for this team to get promoted, and even if we did it would be 'some laugh' and we'd head straight back down. Still want to see it, and don't kid yourself that you don't want to as well. Just scunnered a wee bit I guess, last month looks to be just another false dawn for a rise that's never coming under current circumstances.

4 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

We are obsessed with playing the ball around the box with no attempts at goal of any real threat. How Mullen gets a game never mind stays on is one of life's great mysteries.

Surely in that scenario we go for it with Sow and Cummings playing off each other?  Cummings should be the guy you are looking for to nick a late winner, not sitting on the bench with 15 to go.  The Afolabi sub was a total waste of time. 

Afolabi’s loan has been a complete waste of time, not an indictment on the player himself or his undoubted qualities but a season long loan at off coming on in the 88th minute 

Mullen, McDaid, Byrne. Tough decision as to who to sub for Adam. Too tough perhaps for one. Don't go with this covid idea, lasted fine v St. Johnstone and made a huge difference in the 10 mins he was v Morten 

One of the commentators midgame says Adam said that McPake doesn't like playing him in a 4 man midfield and he's fine with that.

It was just said as a throwaway comment mid game. Thought more would have been made of it.

Edited by Ludo*1

Missed Gowser tonight. Nobody in the middle of the park for us who could put their foot on the ball, calm things down and pick a pass. Mystery why Adam never got on in the 2nd half. We had all of the ball but it was all down the flanks, so there was no need to keep both Byrne and McGhee on the park.

Cummings only ever saw the ball by standing on the touchline looking for it, or coming so short he was behind the midfield. We love playing wee triangles just outside the box, but absolutely nobody wants to play the final ball or drive into the box with it, except when McMullan picks it up deep and runs. We're getting the ball forward much more quickly than we were last season but it's still too ponderous in the final third. I thought when Sow came on that might have at least meant trying to hit him early, but nope, same fannying about with it on the edge of the box. Elliott at least looked to get forward even if his final ball was terrible, Kerr is basically passenger even at his natural RB position. If we have to sign one of them for next season then it's Kerr who should be getting punted.

18 minutes ago, DieDee said:

Mullen, McDaid, Byrne. Tough decision as to who to sub for Adam. Too tough perhaps for one. Don't go with this covid idea, lasted fine v St. Johnstone and made a huge difference in the 10 mins he was v Morten 

Yeah agree, maybe it is a falling out and difference of opinions. Would have liked nothing more than James McPake becoming a successful manager for our club, however it just is not happening or indeed improving within an acceptable timescale .

Recruitment and squad wise, I truly believe we have so much more to offer if set up correctly against, with all due respect, markedly limited opposition in this league.

Raith Rovers are on course to finish above us, with that I rest my case M'Lord.

Time for change.

Sick to the back teeth of this shite, tbh.

43 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

One of the commentators midgame says Adam said that McPake doesn't like playing him in a 4 man midfield and he's fine with that.

It was just said as a throwaway comment mid game. Thought more would have been made of it.

We all know this though don’t we?

3 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

We all know this though don’t we?

There wouldn't be the discussion to get him on if we did. We've seen people suggesting long covid and others suggesting a fall out.

Think it's fundamentally wrong of McPake to hold that view. 

We've all said that in general Adam isn't suited to a 4 man midfield but to be so dead against it when we are crying out for creativity in a game like tonight is just batshit mental.

Struggling to create chances for the past 2 games and Adam has had a combined total of 7 minutes to try and influence the game. He's been off the boil for quite a long time, but no other club in the league has a talent that can produce something from nothing the way Adam can and for McPake to decide, 2 games in a row, to just chuck strikers on for strikers in a bid to change the game is unacceptable IMO. Apologies for the rant, not fully directed at you Ross. Got on my pulpit after a bit!

1 hour ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Shite.

Okay first half and absolutely pish second. Crying out for someone with a bit of talent in the centre, you've got to put Adam on in that second half.

How Mullen can last that 90 is beyond me and what's the point in giving Afolabi three minutes before injury time.

McDaid done great working back and McMullen the best player on the pitch for us again.

Would love us to have a right back like Comrie. The amount of balls out the park from Kerr was embarrassing.

Shite again.

Thank you.

Can’t get my head around why Charlie doesn’t get at least the last 20 minutes of that game. 

As for Mullen I’m not sure I’ve seen a player at our club lose possession more than him. Surely the manager can spot this. 

On a positive note Legzdins is clearly an improvement on Hamilton. How the manager took so long after Legzdins recovered from his injury to get him in the team is bizarre. 

We seem to just be happy to make the playoffs 🤦🏻‍♂️

Won’t be a popular view but I reckon Adam didn’t come on because McPake new 1 point was massively better than zero. A draw against ICT will be fine too because unless we beat Raith wins against the others could be pointless - metaphorically that is. If we get zip tonight Raith could lose to us and still finish above us. Plus we maintain the gap to Dunfermline with another game played and Queens are virtually it if it.
Criticism of Cammy is harsh and Mullen and McDaid are clearly the biggest passengers in the team. Decky has improved his work rate, no doubt, but he produces nothing creative. He is surprisingly slow - or maybe better to say he’s not quick, he can’t beat anybody with trickery and his crossing is horse. He’s a cunt in fact.

Yeah I think the reaction tonight is a bit OTT but I can understand it at the same time. I’ve been trying hard to get less emotional while watching the games recently and I don’t think tonight was that bad. We controlled the game from start to finish but just didn’t have that 1 clear cut chance. We had plenty of opportunities but nothing really that clear cut whereas Dunfermline didn’t look threatening at all and I think that’s down to how we were. 

Tonight was probably the most organised I’ve seen us this season and I’d imagine that’s the reason McPake didn’t want to tinker too much with the midfield as like Fifespud said above a defeat would have been disastrous. Bringing Charlie on, although giving us the extra threat going forward, is likely to make us much more vulnerable.