All things Dundee FC

8 minutes ago, DieDee said:

Going for draws is mental with our defensive record. Just invites problems. Gowser and Anderson back in, McGee instead of Fontaine. Happy with a 4 man midfield with Charlie on the left. Sow and Cumdog up front?

There’s a difference between going for a draw and settling for a draw with 20 minutes to go. You can’t seriously believe we set up to draw that game.

Edited by RossDee01

Don’t want to kick off the debate again but we’re massively better at the back since Fontaine came in. Is he great? Is he f**k but he calms the whole job down. He gets caught for pace, I suspect he’s still carrying an injury but he’s not a headless chicken. It’s no coincidence that Ashcroft looks better too. The defence look up to him, give him the ball to pass it out, he’s the leader. The stats prove it and if you can look beyond the odd time he gets caught you can see it obviously.

8 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

There’s a difference between going for a draw and settling for a draw with 20 minutes to go. You can’t seriously believe we set up to draw that game.

Felt we went further back the longer the game went on, one error and it could easily be too late to recover. Bringing on Adam would be more likely to have put dunfermline on back foot and therefore less dangerous. I've said before that I regard  being 3rd or 4th will give us virtually no chance. Better to go for it and aim for 2nd. The idea we have Adam on the bench when we have players playing like Mullen and McDaid on the park, who would have thought.

McDaids tracking back was defensively spot on tonight and that contributes to clean sheets. Anyone who couldn't see that doesn't understand football i'm afraid. He prevented multiple crosses and attacks.

Going forward he was poor tonight, despite creating two of our best chances - his shot first half and the ball across for McMullens poor finish,  however he also faced a right back who i thought was Dunfermline's best player. McPake seemed to switch the wingers for five minutes before half time, not sure why this changed again for the second half.

Anyone who watched that game and mentions McDaid over Kerr as being a passenger simply isn't seeing the same game. Kerr prevented so many attacks by going safely back or punting the ball up the line. Absolutely woeful in possession and a major weakness.

Thank you.

Edited by Dundee-FC92

Fontaine is utterly shite and costs us at least 1 goal a game. Nearly did so again tonight with another complete brainfart and luckily for us Wighton didn't have his shooting boots on.

To be fair, he then bailed us out with a cracking block in the second half.

I think we can all agree that he has the shitest and shortest long throw we've ever witnessed though.

We are obsessed with playing the ball around the box with no attempts at goal of any real threat. How Mullen gets a game never mind stays on is one of life's great mysteries.
Surely in that scenario we go for it with Sow and Cummings playing off each other?  Cummings should be the guy you are looking for to nick a late winner, not sitting on the bench with 15 to go.  The Afolabi sub was a total waste of time. 
It's like we are scared to shoot.

It's absolutely frustrating watching us overplay the ball.

Anyone who watched that game and mentions McDaid over Kerr as being a passenger simply isn't seeing the same game. Kerr prevented so many attacks by going safely back or punting the ball up the line. Absolutely woeful in possession and a major weakness.
Thank you.

It was the very same against Morton. Cammy was shite.

40 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

It was the very same against Morton. Cammy was shite.

I don't have anything against any of the players but judge them on what i see. Kerr is liked by most simply because he gives his all and that's what McDaid done last night. He was up and down like a yoyo. Not his best game in attack last night but he still contributed much more than Kerr who was a passenger.

We were the better team last night although still not great, with Adam and Afolabi on for the last half hour we may well have taken three points - i'm certainly not going to accept a point away to Dunfermline. Maybe that's the mindset (if McPake was content) that has us failing year after year.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

We're listed on the Daily Mail back page as one of the key clubs who helped shoot down the latest OF colts push, despite the main reason being down to the 11-1 Premiership voting consensus needed. Too big not to mention imo

Top lads.  

26 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

Will certainly be really pissed off if the Afolabi loan is all we are getting in return for our vote...

We got more than enough blood boiling seeth from the Jambos to make it worthwhile

Edited by RossDee01

2 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

We're listed on the Daily Mail back page as one of the key clubs who helped shoot down the latest OF colts push, despite the main reason being down to the 11-1 Premiership voting consensus needed. Too big not to mention imo

Good. Scottish football’s not there for the benefit of Celtic and Rangers. If they’re not happy they’re free to leave. Good luck finding a league that wants the 2 erse cheeks 👋

8 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

I don't have anything against any of the players but judge them on what i see. Kerr is liked by most simply because he gives his all and that's what McDaid done last night. He was up and down like a yoyo. Not his best game in attack last night but he still contributed much more than Kerr who was a passenger.

We were the better team last night although still not great, with Adam and Afolabi on for the last half hour we may well have taken three points - i'm certainly not going to accept a point away to Dunfermline. Maybe that's the mindset (if McPake was content) that has us failing year after year.

Thank you.

The biggest issue I have with Kerr is his complete lack of ability on the ball. It was clear from the get-go last night that Kerr had been given an instruction to hold his position and not advance up the pitch. That's not so bad when he's playing behind McMullan who tends to run from deep anyway. The problem with switching him over to LB after Marshall's injury isn't just that he offers nothing with his left foot, but the fact that he can't get up the pitch means whoever is playing the left wing, McDaid in this case, ends up totally isolated  and usually having to beat a fullback and a midfielder. At least with Marshall playing that flank it's 2 v 2 when we play a 4-4-2, and Elliot is also far more athletic and capable of getting up and down the park if we're just talking about RB.  It basically means that any time Kerr is on the pitch, no matter on which side, all our attacks are going to come down the opposite side and the winger on Kerr's flank will end up having to drift inside to get any support, or spend all day facing 2v1 like McDaid did most of last night.

I give Cammy Kerr 10/10 for commitment and effort, but he's well below the standard we need to do well in this league, never mind the Premiership. Elliott isn't exactly a world-beater either, but he limits the side a bit less than Kerr does because he gets up and down the pitch far better. He's not as easy to bully with high balls either.

I don't think either of our right sided defenders are any good.

Christie Elliott gets held up as 'good' because he isn't Cammy Kerr.

Cammy Kerr gets held up as 'good' because he loves the club.

Both aren't top level Championship RB's. If you want to see what that looks like, just look at Dunfermline's RB last night, Aaron Comrie.

29 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Both aren't top level Championship RB's. If you want to see what that looks like, just look at Dunfermline's RB last night, Aaron Comrie.

*snigger*