All things Dundee FC

19 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Random question: How do fans from Dundee and the area decide who to root for between FC and United? Is it basically who your dad/mum roots for, or is there a geographical boundary as I'm under the impression with Hearts/Hibs?

I'd say it's more of a family thing - those in my family who were Arabs are no longer family members.  We do as the Chinese used to do with female babies - we take them out to rural Perthshire and abandon them.  (For accuracy, the Chinese didn't usually come to Perthshire as far as I'm aware)

23 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Random question: How do fans from Dundee and the area decide who to root for between FC and United? Is it basically who your dad/mum roots for, or is there a geographical boundary as I'm under the impression with Hearts/Hibs?

Don't judge me, but I was brought up a Celtic supporter. I saw the light, 20 years ago, living in Dundee, and decided to visit each club to decide on a new allegiance. First up was a midweek cup game Dundee Utd v Kilmarnock. I accidentally ended up in the Killie support, who were lively, but the home crowd was lifeless.

The following Saturday, it was up to Dens Park for 3pm, and I went in the first turnstile I came to, which brought me into a wee carnival going in the Derry. The rest is dark blue history.

37 minutes ago, Jacobite1 said:

Don't judge me, but I was brought up a Celtic supporter. I saw the light, 20 years ago, living in Dundee, and decided to visit each club to decide on a new allegiance. First up was a midweek cup game Dundee Utd v Kilmarnock. I accidentally ended up in the Killie support, who were lively, but the home crowd was lifeless.

The following Saturday, it was up to Dens Park for 3pm, and I went in the first turnstile I came to, which brought me into a wee carnival going in the Derry. The rest is dark blue history.

If you'd stuck with the Arabs,at least you'd have seen a trophy win,not a double mind,but a trophy

1 hour ago, Jacobite1 said:

So the FC support is the more, "Time to party" crowd while the United support is the more "wine and cheese" crowd?

37 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

So the FC support is the more, "Time to party" crowd while the United support is the more "wine and cheese" crowd?

Maybe more Ovaltine and crackers at United, in comparison to being strapped into a manic rollercoaster ride across the road.

2 hours ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

If you'd stuck with the Arabs,at least you'd have seen a trophy win,not a double mind,but a trophy

I was there for our cracking 3-2 win over Inverness CT to take the much-coveted 2009 Challenge Cup, thanks.

3 hours ago, Jacobite1 said:

28 minutes ago, Jacobite1 said:

Maybe more Ovaltine and crackers at United, in comparison to being strapped into a manic rollercoaster ride across the road.

dead poets society poetry GIF

You write words that excite my heart, @Jacobite1.

4 hours ago, Jacobite1 said:

Sounds like you got the Derry Rhumba virus.

There is no cure.

15 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Makes sense.

Spent a few days in Oban, using it as a base for trips to Glencoe and Staffa. Seems like a nice place and had the best fish and chips Ive ever had there. Hell of a view out from the Harbor.

Yeah Oban is nice for a few days, if you live there too long, you either must leave or end up having a major alcohol problem. Was that from a chipper called Norries? If it's still called Norries! I used to enjoy a Chip butty from there every Friday night.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

Yeah Oban is nice for a few days, if you live there too long, you either must leave or end up having a major alcohol problem. Was that from a chipper called Norries? If it's still called Norries! I used to enjoy a Chip butty from there every Friday night.

I can see that, as there doesn't appear to be a ton to do. 

It was "The Oban Fish & Chip Shop."  I also had Norries, but I liked the former better (though I seem to be in the minority).

18 hours ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

By the same token, if you'd been an OF fan you'd have seen your team win many major trophies, and not just against Mickey Mouse opposition either.