All things Dundee FC

3 hours ago, The Derry said:

I like that Ange's style, go fucking baws oot regardless of the score and opposition.  The way football should be played.

But still, f**k the old firm.

Neil McCann from wish, if you ask me….😶😶

20 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

With that being on sky sports “Main event” do you reckon that was a good advertisement of Scottish football?

Just back from the game and I say yes. Although the standard of refereeing was embarrassing. 

The penalty was offside and the tackle was made outside the box. Of course Skysports are clueless and never mentioned that it’s offside or even thought of checking it 🤦🏻‍♂️

Christie Elliott's shitebaggery at times aside, really struggling to not love this Dee side.

Far from the best Dundee side ever, but playing for each other, fully committed and very rarely a dull match.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Christie Elliott's shitebaggery at times aside, really struggling to not love this Dee side.

Far from the best Dundee side ever, but playing for each other, fully committed and very rarely a dull match.

I basically agree with this, but our bench really is breathtakingly bad. 

Basically, if no-one gets injured at all, all season, we'll be fine. If not though....

On 21/08/2021 at 17:35, Day of the Lords said:

Mentioned it on another thread but my old man passed away 10 days ago. He had been a Dundee fan for as long as he could remember, having himself been taken to Dens as a child by his dad and was lucky enough to see Billy Steel playing for us in the flesh, including both Hampden League cup final wins and (unfortunately) the drubbing at the hands of Motherwell in between. He went to almost all the home games in our 61-62 league-winning season, and was at Muirton on THAT day to see us lift the trophy and was a regular for many seasons after, including the various european campaigns but didn't make the 1973 league cup win.

He started taking me to games in the mid-80s - Dens one week, Tannadice the next and let me make my own choice. Obviously I preferred Dens. I think he was just happy I had no interest in either of the Old Firm.

Posting up the video of the 4-3 win over Rangers in 1992 in the Surprise Results thread reminded me of him - it was a cracking hot day and he'd parked away up in some side street of Clepington Road. Of course we didn't have jacketson so after beating Rangers 4-3 we basically had to walk through several thousand seething Rangers fans to get back to the car in Dundee tops and scarves 😂

The best of the lot though was before a Rangers game at Dens in 1988. BBC were doing the commentary and for whatever reason Archie McPherson was late getting to the gantry. He had to walk through the Derry about 5 minutes before kick off to get to the TV gantry which of course meant he got pelters from absolutely everyone, especially my old man, who's bovril he'd spilled when frantically trying to squeeze past him between the benches. McPherson had that massive sheepskin coat on. I hope getting that bovril stain out cost the c**t a fortune 😂

Good memories. 

Sorry to hear about your old man. 

I remember being in The Derry when Archie McPherson was late and getting hit with coins and bog rolls as he climbed the ladder up to the gantry, particularly as I took a toilet roll straight to the back of the napper. Fortunately I've always been as hard as nails though and only cried for about 2 minutes. 

Tin hat on, I thought other than the penalty (offside and outside the box) I thought Elliot had a good game. 

Also thought McMullan was excellent when he moved into the central number 10 position just by running at people and being direct. 

Enjoy the fighting qualities of this side but there’s a massive Greg Stewart sized hole waiting to be filled….

Just now, Yenitit said:

Tin hat on, I thought other than the penalty (offside and outside the box) I thought Elliot had a good game. 

Also thought McMullan was excellent when he moved into the central number 10 position just by running at people and being direct. 

Enjoy the fighting qualities of this side but there’s a massive Greg Stewart sized hole waiting to be filled….

I just don't see where Greg fits in. McCowan and McMullan have been excellent on either wing, switching sides and I personally don't see him as a striker.

Desperately need a RB.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

What's were we singing about Paul McMullan? Never heard it from the Cox but is mentioned in the post-match interview.

“He’s our star man playing on the right,
His name is Paul McMullan and he’s fucking dynamite.”

To the tune of David Bowie - Starman

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

What's were we singing about Paul McMullan? Never heard it from the Cox but is mentioned in the post-match interview.

There's a staaar man playing on the right,

His name is Paul McMullan and he's fuckin dynamite.

The issue with Elliot is that he makes mental errors that cost us (today for instance). Whether its lack of awareness of what's going on around him or just poor tactical decision making in general. He can have a solid game then do something really poor that hurts us in the blink of an eye. It happened in the Championship and I had no doubt back then that it would hurt us in the Prem.

33 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

“He’s our star man playing on the right,
His name is Paul McMullan and he’s fucking dynamite.”

To the tune of David Bowie - Starman

You get a proper sense of excitement every time McMullan gets the ball. I thought we really lacked someone like that last season. The team is all the better for it. 

An injury to him, Adam, Cummings, Ashcroft or Legzdins though (and let's face it, that's half the team, so it will happen) and we're fucked. It's a big few days in the transfer window. 

Surely there must be a kid or two down south who fancies getting a few games under his belt on loan, and is better than Christie Elliott... 

9 minutes ago, Meadow_Jock said:

You get a proper sense of excitement every time McMullan gets the ball. I thought we really lacked someone like that last season. The team is all the better for it. 

An injury to him, Adam, Cummings, Ashcroft or Legzdins though (and let's face it, that's half the team, so it will happen) and we're fucked. It's a big few days in the transfer window. 

Surely there must be a kid or two down south who fancies getting a few games under his belt on loan, and is better than Christie Elliott... 

Take it easy @Meadow_Jock, we're currently very much a "work in progress" at this level and all I can see are early positive signs.

Jeezo, it was Jason Cummings who restrained Gowser from continuing to The Shakespeare Bar for a dram after scoring ffs.

Fantastic team spirit on display and James McPake after all only needs to read P&B to see where we're lacking or require improvement. 

Good times ahead I'm sure and counting the sleeps to the first derby next month.

In the meantime announce Greg Stewart and another competent defensive option to add to the squad.

Regards