All things Dundee FC

9 minutes ago, Girth said:

Regarding all the Griffiths chat, does anyone thing Cummings can get back in the team!?

Will both still be here at the end of Jan or would you move one/both of them on? 

Unsure why he was even dropped to be honest 🧐

f**k knows what to make of Griffiths. When he’s on the pitch he can’t be faulted for lack of effort. You probs can’t have him and Adam in the same team. I like Cummings too and I’ve slagged the f**k out of Mullen but it’s hard to argue that we are not better with Mullen playing ahead of Griffiths or Cummings. We actually need another Mullen type ahead of either of them, when Charlie is fit and therefore starting.

25 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I see the Butcher has a 3 game ban meaning this idiot will be back for the derby. He is a c**t amongst c***s.

An absolute shite-house, he's going to cripple somebody, but hey, we've been here before, with this dayglow mob.

Dundee Football Club on Twitter: "ON THIS DAY 2002: Dundee begin a  memorable season with a 1-1 home draw with Hearts. Fabian Caballero with  the goal https://t.co/74atj5l7h5" / Twitter

Thank you.

At this level I think Cummings is the sort of striker who really needs to be playing in a partnership to get the best out of him, so while we're playing with 1 up and 1 behind I don't think he's particularly suited. Mullen fits better because of the increased workrate and his willingness to come short and play with his back to the goal, the Griffiths of a few years ago was able to play that role because of his hyperactivity, movement, and ability to hold the ball up by taking it into space, but I don't see any of that from Cummings. Whenever I've seen him pop up out wide it's usually because he can't get a touch of the ball playing centrally so has ended up going out there just to get away from the marking. 

There's no doubt he's more clinical in the box than Mullen, but that's just what he is, a penalty box striker that offers precious little else, and those types invariably need another forward playing with them in order to thrive.

I’m not slagging Adam off here, he has delivered for us, not as much as I’d hoped but he’s won us more points than he’s cost us, that’s for sure. But we are building the team around him and accommodating his limitations. If you built the team around Griffiths and his limitations, you need to drop Charlie, but I’m pretty sure Griffiths would also win us points. Both are likely to pick up needless bookings and the odd red card. On balance trying to pull young girls on insta and hoofing flares into the crowd make Griffiths a less bankable asset. He’s got (or should have) a couple of years more left in the tank than Charlie. You can’t have a go at Jazzer for taking a punt on Adams, Griffiths or Cummings but it’s pretty obvious you can actually only field 1 of them in the starting 11 and there’s at least 1 luxury more than we can afford amongst them.

I don't think this squad can play two up front and a back four without dropping Charlie Adam

Presumably you still want to play McMullan and McCowan, but I think playing Charlie in a central pairing asks too much of him even if you pair him with a runner like Anderson or McGhee.

You could switch to a back 3 and play 3 in the middle, but then you lose your wingers and we've looked hopeless any time McPake has switched away from a back four.

I believe that right now Adam is far more important to this team than Cummings. We didn't score for something like 5 and half matches when Adam was out, so for me Cummings stays sat firmly on the bench rather than trying to shoehorn him into the 11 at the expense of a far more important player.

If CA is knackered after 70 minutes and you are subbing him off in a game we are chasing, then yeah, that's the perfect time to play Cummings up front with a partner, but Cummings was fit and available over that horrible stretch when CA was out, and we still couldn't score for love nor money.

12 hours ago, Fifespud said:

I see the Butcher has a 3 game ban meaning this idiot will be back for the derby. He is a c**t amongst c***s.

Good. Plan on profiting from his stupidity again. Him and Byrne getting booked last derby was an absolute banker, shame he's out.