All things Dundee FC

39 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Duffy been punted by Ayr United.

Would you take him back? Probably (and tragically) our most successful manager in recent years.

Yes, yes, yes. Probably not as manager though.

1 hour ago, RawB93 said:

Declan Gallagher is probably about as good a signing as we could make, which is exactly why I expect it not to happen.

In reality I'd like to see Elliot & The Panther leave and get another RB and CB in. I don't mind Marshall & Cammy at LB. We could also do with a CM who can actually play killer balls when Adam is out/subbed off. When our wingers are our only source of attacking we become easy to play against. Someone in the middle drawing players in who can then release these guys into space is what we need. Though no names come to mind.

Scott Allan would be a decent shout. 

8 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Scott Allan would be a decent shout. 

Not sure Hibs would just let us nick him off them now (I know we were close last January, but we were in the Championship and he wasn't getting any gametime), but that is the exact kind of player we need to prioritise imo. Desperate for another creative midfielder to dictate play when we're attacking, especially when Charlie is out, and I bet that hamstring will keep acting up regularly until he retires.

A creative midfielder, a CB who is good enough to start regularly (and preferably right-footed tbh), and probably another decent striker since I'm certain we'll lose at least one if not more. Maybe another flexible full-back as well. Big ask, but these are what we really need right now.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Cummings is to train with the youth team apparently. So that's him gone then.

Maybe this will teach him his less- yeah, he's gone.

Still think he'll be in the squad come Boxing Day, so long as he takes it on the chin.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

51 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Not sure Hibs would just let us nick him off them now (I know we were close last January, but we were in the Championship and he wasn't getting any gametime), but that is the exact kind of player we need to prioritise imo. Desperate for another creative midfielder to dictate play when we're attacking, especially when Charlie is out, and I bet that hamstring will keep acting up regularly until he retires.

A creative midfielder, a CB who is good enough to start regularly (and preferably right-footed tbh), and probably another decent striker since I'm certain we'll lose at least one if not more. Maybe another flexible full-back as well. Big ask, but these are what we really need right now.

Just looking at Defenders to take from the Championship...

Would you take Benedictus back? Is he better than what we have?

7 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Just looking at Defenders to take from the Championship...

Would you take Benedictus back? Is he better than what we have?

Definitely not.

Frankie Musonda from them though...

He and Tam O'Brien are the best two CH's in the Championship IMO. Pity O'Brien doesn't seem to have any interest in going FT. I liked the look of Robbie Deas at Caley too and McPake previously tried to sign him when we were in the Championship.

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

That's right! I forgot about that! 

Outnumbered and in DAB territory. Fair enough those DABs fingered his missus but he never took it lying down. I'm heard the DAB pair had a "carpet nap" though. Exactly the sort of spirit we need...

1 minute ago, Big Gus said:

Outnumbered and in DAB territory. Fair enough those DABs fingered his missus but he never took it lying down. I'm heard the DAB pair had a "carpet nap" though. Exactly the sort of spirit we need...

Just as well he wasn't sharing a flat with Gowser when the Bobby's showed up.

I think a striker is what we most need. Assuming Griffiths and Cumdog both piss off. A taller/stronger version of Mullen who can win balls in the air, hold it up and lay it off. We have McCowan and Anderson who can break into the box and score. Good for ball retention too which we are bad at. We could even keep 1 of Griffiths or Cumdog if we had a decent foil.
A bit of quality anywhere would be nice.

I think to have any chance of staying up we need better players than those we already have on the books. Seems a bit trite and obvious to say that, but what I really mean is that I don't think we're going to find those players by looking at who is playing in the Championship. Those are the sort of signings you make one or two of in the summer in the hope that they are decent squad players, or maybe one of them really gets to grips with the step up and you can sell him on for a fee 18 months down the line. What we need right now are quality, influential players of a standard good enough to walk right into our starting 11 and improve the team overall. If those players were already based in Scotland then they'd be on the books of teams above and around us in the Premiership, not in the league below.

We need to be looking at loans of proven players who, for whatever reason, aren't playing at bigger teams, and perhaps picking up a few from abroad/England who are out of favour/contract. I said in here the other day that I thought we'd benefit from a Scott Allan 'type', but also said I'm not certain he's the exact player we should be looking at. I think we have enough headcases/permacrocks/problems-waiting-to-happen as it is, and while I'm well aware Allan's issues with fitness are not down to laziness, I don't think a player that hasn't managed to cement a regular starting spot for years and years is really what we can afford to pin our hopes on. I'd be up for trying to bring Allan in as long he's not the only option, but if there was one wage available I'd like to think we could find somebody who would be more consistently available and dependable. Allan I think would perhaps win us one or two matches on his own, but I'd be looking for someone who is a more persistent and consistent factor in the last 15 or so fixtures of the season rather than a guy who, in all likelihood, will be sat on the bench doing nothing in between the rare and infrequent cameos where he comes on and sets up a goal.

I don't pretend to know who these mystery players we should be signing are, but then I'm not employed by a club to know about these things, presumably that is part of the remit of at least one or two of the staff at Dens. I don't think it's unrealistic if you recall the impact McMullan had on this team when we brought him on board in the same window last season, we just need to do something similar again, but with a couple of players who are capable of having the same sort of impact in our current league. We aren't going to fix all the problems with this team in one window, especially not a January window, so screaming for an entire new back four, keeper, midfielder, and striker is both unrealistic and only likely to result in the same sort of farce we saw when McIntyre tried that to replace the shite left to him by Neil McCann, but I do think two, maybe three worthwhile and impactful signings to compliment the existing squad could see us pull ourselves clear of the mire quite comfortably, because I don't see Livi, St.Mirren, ourselves, County, and St.Johnstone all being able to hugely improve themselves in January either. One or two of them are bound to still be absolutely rotten come February, we just need to make sure it isn't us.

32 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I think to have any chance of staying up we need better players than those we already have on the books. Seems a bit trite and obvious to say that, but what I really mean is that I don't think we're going to find those players by looking at who is playing in the Championship. Those are the sort of signings you make one or two of in the summer in the hope that they are decent squad players, or maybe one of them really gets to grips with the step up and you can sell him on for a fee 18 months down the line. What we need right now are quality, influential players of a standard good enough to walk right into our starting 11 and improve the team overall. If those players were already based in Scotland then they'd be on the books of teams above and around us in the Premiership, not in the league below.

We need to be looking at loans of proven players who, for whatever reason, aren't playing at bigger teams, and perhaps picking up a few from abroad/England who are out of favour/contract. I said in here the other day that I thought we'd benefit from a Scott Allan 'type', but also said I'm not certain he's the exact player we should be looking at. I think we have enough headcases/permacrocks/problems-waiting-to-happen as it is, and while I'm well aware Allan's issues with fitness are not down to laziness, I don't think a player that hasn't managed to cement a regular starting spot for years and years is really what we can afford to pin our hopes on. I'd be up for trying to bring Allan in as long he's not the only option, but if there was one wage available I'd like to think we could find somebody who would be more consistently available and dependable. Allan I think would perhaps win us one or two matches on his own, but I'd be looking for someone who is a more persistent and consistent factor in the last 15 or so fixtures of the season rather than a guy who, in all likelihood, will be sat on the bench doing nothing in between the rare and infrequent cameos where he comes on and sets up a goal.

I don't pretend to know who these mystery players we should be signing are, but then I'm not employed by a club to know about these things, presumably that is part of the remit of at least one or two of the staff at Dens. I don't think it's unrealistic if you recall the impact McMullan had on this team when we brought him on board in the same window last season, we just need to do something similar again, but with a couple of players who are capable of having the same sort of impact in our current league. We aren't going to fix all the problems with this team in one window, especially not a January window, so screaming for an entire new back four, keeper, midfielder, and striker is both unrealistic and only likely to result in the same sort of farce we saw when McIntyre tried that to replace the shite left to him by Neil McCann, but I do think two, maybe three worthwhile and impactful signings to compliment the existing squad could see us pull ourselves clear of the mire quite comfortably, because I don't see Livi, St.Mirren, ourselves, County, and St.Johnstone all being able to hugely improve themselves in January either. One or two of them are bound to still be absolutely rotten come February, we just need to make sure it isn't us.

I agree completely @Boo Khaki.

One thing about McPake, to his credit, he doesn't panic and bring in 10 players all at once, he maybe brings in about 5, sometimes not in the positions we are needing mind you, but this will be a make or break window for him, I just hope he gets it right.

On paper he has signed some potentially excellent players, remember the buzz about the place with the signings of Griffiths and Cummings, this just didn't have the effect it should have had, and this is not down to McPake.

He needs to steer clear of the troubled players and focus on the more dependable (if more boring) players.