All things Dundee FC

What on earth is Beck supposed to learn if he goes to Celtic until May/June over and above what he'd learn at Dens?

He'll be playing against the exact same opponents he would in a Dundee shirt, and given that Celtic are clearly far ahead of Dundee in terms of overall ability, he's not going to be tested as much, especially defensively, if he actually gets a game in the first place.

Fine from Celtic's point of view if they are trying to encourage the signing on a longer-term basis, but unless Liverpool have already decided Beck is not going to ever be up to scratch for them and are simply trying to engineer a permanent sale, I don't see how it would benefit Liverpool any in terms of player development. 

Would be just typical for Beck to get about 100mins of football and a pile of splinters in his arse, and then we have to sit through yet another round of moaning about "lack of competition" and "financial gulfs" when they get papped out of Europe before xmas again next season.

Edited by Boo Khaki

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is that fair?

Taylor was brilliant for Kilmarnock.

Im not getting into Beck v Taylor debate, but it feels like people really under estimate how good Taylor is because hes not an absolute standout for Celtic. Im fairly sure he'd walk into any other starting line up in the country, including Rangers. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

He was by a distance the best left-back we have had in my time watching us, an absolutely fantastic player. He turned in Owen Beck levels of performance for about two years before he went to Celtic.

I'm not knocking Taylor, I just prefer the Beck I've seen produce the same standard every week.

My point is that Beck has been outstanding for us, drafted to a newly promoted on loan. Would likely have a near clean sweep of POTY if voting was held now.

Taylor played for Killie in a great Killie team managed by Steve Clarke, 3 top 6 finishes, then onto Celtic.

At both teams possibly not as defensively challenged as Dundee expected to be at the start of the season and more like Celtic in the Champions League which hasn't always ended well for him or his team.

I'd still take Taylor on loan as well...

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Mr S - on TDBF - suggesting we're not in for Stewart. His track record, unfortunately, suggests he's right.

Wonder where he'll end up.

12 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

On the rumour-spreading front, per the two relatively reliable info guys on TDB:

- Mellon loan deal agreed and Main could be done before the Killie game.

- Stewart not incoming, supposedly was never a serious interest there from us.

- Club remains hopeful regarding Beck coming back after some game time at Anfield.

- Also apparently looking at another Liverpool loanee (Ramsay?) and Burnley (I assume that would be Mellon though, could we have 3 loanees from one team?)

Ramsay would be tremendous. I'm assuming he was recalled by Liverpool to provide cover due to TAA being out injured.

2 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

Ramsay would be tremendous. I'm assuming he was recalled by Liverpool to provide cover due to TAA being out injured.

I have to take issue, here. 

It’s the law to call him “Trent”. 

Turning down Greg Stewart and signing Curtis Main is about as non-Dundee a transfer window as i can imagine.

Main going to Dundee is annoyingly competent.

Don't expect many goals. Expect the ones he does score to generally be important ones and an absolute power of work from him - guy is total nightmare for defenders when he fancies it.

42 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Main going to Dundee is annoyingly competent.

Don't expect many goals. Expect the ones he does score to generally be important ones and an absolute power of work from him - guy is total nightmare for defenders when he fancies it.

Quite surprised Docherty has taken the plunge with Main , as when they were both at Aberdeen, Main was never a regular. 

Not gonna score a lot of goals but can probably do the target man role better than Bakayoko AND be a bigger nuisance to defenders than Rudden. Be interesting to see who he replaces but even more than that, could give Robinson more of an opportunity to play to his strengths again. 

Never seen a transformation like it when it comes to Main, but if anything it showed the difference in quality of manager between Goodwin and Robinson.

He will either be incredibly frustrating or a joy to watch. Hopefully it's the former when it comes to playing against St Mirren but you should be pleased with that bit of business. Not jealous at all.

Has to be a decent bit of business by Dundee. Main really did turn things around at St Mirren to end up being popular with the support. It wasn’t his scintillating goalscoring exploits that impressed (show me a recent St Mirren striker who has), it was his overall workrate, attitude, and he was putting himself about and getting stuck in. He wasn’t doing any of that at the start, certainly Robbo’ turned him around.

Would be churlish to suggest anything other then this looks a good signing by Dundee. If he’d re-signed for us, after we’ve let Greive go, we’d have been happy enough, so aye, fair do’s to Dundee for this signing.

Hope he’s completely pish and you get the pre-Robbo’ version. 😜