Flexi Season Ticket @ Motherwell

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2014/09/05/new-fir-park-flexi-ticket/

Motherwell have just announced a flexi ticket where you can buy a flexi ticket for any 5 or 10 matches of your choice. Very good idea in my opinion it would have been ideal in my old job where I had to work a lot of weekends. It would be brilliant if you get a similar ticket deal for away games as well but I'd imagine that would be difficult to manage.

Thoughts?

We did it a few seasons ago in the first division but it was launched around November/December time.

I'm not 100% sure why they scrapped them but I think it was to do with the fact they resulted in lower half season ticket sales at Christmas as effectively the vast majority of people who would've bought a half season ticket then missed a couple of games but gave the money to the club anyway bought these instead.

I think this is a great idea. There's alot of guys I know who work some Saturdays and can only make a certain amount of games a season, I'm sure they'd jump at the chance to get something like this.

Only problem I'd see is games against United, Celtic etc. which would sell out. Would these flexi tickets limit the amount of tickets on sale? What if you have a flexi ticket but can't make it, that's effectively 1 less ticket the club can sell when it had the demand.

Aberdeen do a offshore workers season ticket which I think is effectively the same as this.

I think this is a great idea. There's alot of guys I know who work some Saturdays and can only make a certain amount of games a season, I'm sure they'd jump at the chance to get something like this. Only problem I'd see is games against United, Celtic etc. which would sell out. Would these flexi tickets limit the amount of tickets on sale? What if you have a flexi ticket but can't make it, that's effectively 1 less ticket the club can sell when it had the demand.
For us it would have be a 10 game voucher where you take the voucher into the shop and get a match ticket for your chosen game. The tiered pricing structure also fucks it up.I'd buy one straight away if we released one now but it's not going to happen.

A couple of years back, I suggested something very similar to this to the General Manager at St Mirren. After initial enthusiasm, and an agreement that I would canvass views on the official site forum and B&W Army (which I did, with an overall positive response), it died a death. Several unanswered emails to Brian Caldwell (the GM) later, I gave up. Typical St Mirren, to be honest.

For me, it had represented a 2nd tier season ticket, as you wouldn't be guaranteed 'your' seat, as standard ST holders are, but fronting up your cash would save you queuing at the ticket office in shitty weather, and would give the purchaser a modest discount. That way, existing (or potential) ST holders weren't losing out.

I think its a great idea for the most part.

Well done Motherwell on showing a bit of initiative. If only St Mirren had a similar level of enterprise. All that said, it seems I can't find a great deal positive to say about Saints, these days, so perhaps I shouldn't labour the point.

Season ticket prices went up £50 in real terms for this season and it's evidence that that move has saw a decrease in season ticket sales.

The traditional season ticket areas (M, F and C) of the East stand have been fairly bare at the games so far. It would be interesting to see actual sales figures but they seem to have gone down considerably.

Whilst I think it is a good idea for fans, I think a clubs concern would be that they could lose money on this.

Most of the people who'll buy this probably go to games anyway, so it loses you money over a pay at gate price, although you might make it back in that the cold, wet, midweek days they miss, they'll come along now.

I know when I buy my ST if I miss games that is my bad luck. However would people who know they miss a couple of games, but are happy enough to buy the ST now might just downgrade to flexi tickets?

I still think SPL clubs should work together more on ticket pricing, particularly for away fans and an away ticket could work if there was enough co-operation.

What does "in real terms" mean - are you adjusting for inflation or something?

A steep increase regardless - what was the rationale?

It means they took a cup game off the ticket that we previous had included. The season ticket went up £30 plus the cost of paying admission for the first cup game of the season.

Seems a good idea but in practice it will be hell.

The staff in the ticket office at Motherwell are hopeless. How can so many people be so unorganised?

Seems other people had a similar policy but why can't the voucher be used at the turnstile? That must be easier, surely?

Yes, I am calling you shirley

Accies gave away hundreds of free tickets for the last home game against Ross County and it upped the crowd by about a thousand.Combined with a good result you would have thought they would have tried to hook in some of those extras by offering a discounted season ticket or something like Motherwell but sadly Accies marketing skills are limited. Be interested to know what the take up of this offer is. Seems a good idea to me.

Any ticketing scheme in Scotland will only ever have moderate success at best because of the matchday experience. Until that's changed crowds aren't to move one or the other very much for the majority of teams.

Archived