Will Alistair Darling be rewarded ?

lemmy

Knighthood probably.

He'll be historically viewed as a success which, for someone will so little actual ability, is quite an achievement. Fair play to him, he was on the right side of history.

Surely the award should go to Brown?! He's the one being heralded as making the bold step to 'save us'.

If you mean did Brown make an uncharacteristically passionate plethora of lies masquarading as guaranteed powers, then yes, Broon should get the knighthood.

Darling should get a speech therapist.

The margin of victory will come as an almighty relief for Darling, I'd have thought.

A few days ago, I honestly thought he would end up standing down as an MP. He has nothing left for him in politics, although Brown might.

Brown is standing down as an MP - will he reverse his decision? His return to the fold undoubtedly came at the right time and he might just return to the fold. He has however been PM, so probably feels he has nothing left to achieve.

I'm not a Labour voter, no way, but personally I wouldn't mind either Darling or Broon in the Scottish Parliament because they knock non-entities like Johann Lamentable and Fat Jackie into a cockit hat.

It's usual for ex-PMs to get some kind of gong after a while (e.g. Sir John Major).Former Emperor Antonius the Pious is still a divisive figure but he'll be Sir Tony before too long and the same with Gordon.

Oh and former Young Conservative Nick Robinson must be a shoo-in for a British State gong "for services to journalism" at some point...

Not Darling but I read with interest in Private Eye that Alan Cochrane, known for his very anti independence articles in the Telegraph, will net a £10,000 bonus for his work. Sadly for him he missed out on a £20,000 bonus due to the margin of victory not being larger.

I'm not a Labour voter, no way, but personally I wouldn't mind either Darling or Broon in the Scottish Parliament because they knock non-entities like Johann Lamentable and Fat Jackie into a cockit hat.

It's usual for ex-PMs to get some kind of gong after a while (e.g. Sir John Major).Former Emperor Antonius the Pious is still a divisive figure but he'll be Sir Tony before too long and the same with Gordon.

Oh and former Young Conservative Nick Robinson must be a shoo-in for a British State gong "for services to journalism" at some point...

Blair? A knighthood? GTF! He should be canonised. Great PM.

Surely the award should go to Brown?! He's the one being heralded as making the bold step to 'save us'.

If anyone will get a mention it'll be Brown. Darling was fucking up royally until Gogsy Brown rolled into town, put his y-fronts over his trousers again and started ranting about silent majorities and started making promises he knew he couldn't keep.

Blair? A knighthood? GTF! He should be canonised. Great PM.

If you'll pardon the segway into the 12th century...

Former PMs are usually appointed to the Order of the Garter, which brings with it the title "Sir" (or "Dame"). The issue with Tony Blair is that he's Scottish by birth. That means he should be appointed to the Order of the Thistle...so no garters for him. But this would be seen as a lesser honour so thus far he's had nothing. And to be honest, I can see it being used as a convenient excuse for some time yet. Avoids the inevitable public backlash.

Herein endeth the lesson, forsooth!

Archived