If you removed the 65+ vote from last night...

Confidemus

The air will clear and the heightened emotions will die down but what will be left will be a resentment at the stance of the 55+ age group.

This resentment will not be based on how they voted but rather the perceived selfishness of the reasons behind the vote.

We must remember, of course, that tens of thousands in this age group voted YES; and we must take comfort from the gradual change in demographics will allow another opportunity in the not too distant future.

Absolutely. My in laws voted Yes for their grandkids. Having calmed down over the past few days, I no longer resent old people as a group. After all, 27% of them voted Yes. More than 1 in 4.

However, what can't be ignored is that almost 3 in 4 of them voted No, and we all know why. And how many of them considered their grandchildren when casting that vote.

That will remain in the history books long after they're gone, in my opinion, to their shame.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Confi you also need to remember that these generations have a much closer affinity with britishness. They didn't fight the war but it was a huge part of their life, as was building a welfare state post war.

Genuinely feeling British is a perfectly acceptable reason to vote no, and the elderly feel it more than any other.

The babyboom thing is just one part of it.

Confi you also need to remember that these generations have a much closer affinity with britishness. They didn't fight the war but it was a huge part of their life, as was building a welfare state post war.

Genuinely feeling British is a perfectly acceptable reason to vote no, and the elderly feel it more than any other.

I think this is definitely a valid point. More so than 'aw they care about is themselves'.

Can people please stop getting carried away with this Ashcroft poll? I could get just as accurate a result by walking round my office building this afternoon.

Quite, and nobody can know the motivations of all of the older generation when it comes to voting. No doubt some did so for selfish reasons, but those ranters wanting people euthanized for voting contrary to their own opinion are a disgrace.

What next - the junkies for contributing nothing? The unemployed for not working?

"All they care about is themselves" is a pretty shitty argument anyway - if your sole source of income is your pension and you have no other way of making money, of course the status of your pension is going to worry you much more than a younger person with years of earning ahead of them, nice house etc etc. Don't really think it's fair to call them selfish tbh

And are perfectly entitled to carry on trying to achieve their objectives.

What about coming together after the decision?

Mr Salmond told the Andrew Marr programme that if "Yes" won there would "cease to be a 'Yes' campaign and a 'No' campaign - there will be a Team Scotland"

Or was it more a case of 'lets have a democratic vote and after the result we'll honour the decision and pull together for Scotland....unless I don't get my way then I'll throw my toys out of the pram and feed the hate!'

Or was it more a case of 'lets have a democratic vote and after the result we'll honour the decision and pull together for Scotland....unless I don't get my way then I'll throw my toys out of the pram and feed the hate!'

Well that's it isn't it in a nutshell.

Following a Yes vote there was supposed to be everyone cross party embracing the new reality.

Shame the small print said if we don't get our way we will practise the politics if division... throw our toys away.. fold our arms and say 'hell mend you ... you ll rue the day'.

Pathetic.

I think this is definitely a valid point. More so than 'aw they care about is themselves'.

Can people please stop getting carried away with this Ashcroft poll? I could get just as accurate a result by walking round my office building this afternoon.

A lot of pensioners in your office, are there?

No you wouldn't.

Doubt you'll have many pensioners in your office. Your poll would still be pretty much as accurate as Ashcrofts though. A sample size of just over 2000 is statistically pretty irrelevant.

I might dig out a few of the Yes supporters comments on the veracity of Ashcroft polling pre referendum.

Strange how he's hone from being a discredited Tory peer whose polling should be ignored... to a highly respected pollster whose figures are an absolute statement of fact.

What a transformation.. almost overnight !

Well that's it isn't it in a nutshell.

Following a Yes vote there was supposed to be everyone cross party embracing the new reality.

Shame the small print said if we don't get our way we will practise the politics if division... throw our toys away.. fold our arms and say 'hell mend you ... you ll rue the day'.

Pathetic.

Of course in the event of a Yes all the No voters would grab a tambourine and join the street party in our new adventure?

Stop exaggerating.

People are hurting. Its going to take a lot of time getting over it - yet most people are doing just that. There is the odd nutter making wild accusations but they are not representative of the Yes vote just in the same way that the Rangers fans torching George Square are not representative of the no vote.

Wind yer necks in.

Those Yes voters that are continuing to stay involved are doing far more to progress the country than many No voters who will continue on with their lives as was. No change - after all we're all better together.

I might dig out a few of the Yes supporters comments on the veracity of Ashcroft polling pre referendum.

Strange how he's hone from being a discredited Tory peer whose polling should be ignored... to a highly respected pollster whose figures are an absolute statement of fact.

What a transformation.. almost overnight !

How's ASDA looking this morning H_B?

Doubt you'll have many pensioners in your office. Your poll would still be pretty much as accurate as Ashcrofts though. A sample size of just over 2000 is statistically pretty irrelevant.

This was more the point I was trying to make. The sample size is far too small to draw any real analysis. Was being a little bit facetious with my comment about.

How's ASDA looking this morning H_B?

Haven't been today.

Did walk past the RBS in Stirling earlier and saw it boarded up. Sad times.

Who knew 10 accounts with overdrafts being closed would have such a devastating effect!

Of course in the event of a Yes all the No voters would grab a tambourine and join the street party in our new adventure?

Stop exaggerating.

People are hurting. Its going to take a lot of time getting over it - yet most people are doing just that. There is the odd nutter making wild accusations but they are not representative of the Yes vote just in the same way that the Rangers fans torching George Square are not representative of the no vote.

Wind yer necks in.

Those Yes voters that are continuing to stay involved are doing far more to progress the country than many No voters who will continue on with their lives as was. No change - after all we're all better together.

Just for one second, forget people and consider Salmond. He should saying to all and sundry, "the No vote won and we need to pull together as a united people."

Is he doing that?

Archived