If you removed the 65+ vote from last night...

Confidemus

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might dig out a few of the Yes supporters comments on the veracity of Ashcroft polling pre referendum.

Strange how he's hone from being a discredited Tory peer whose polling should be ignored... to a highly respected pollster whose figures are an absolute statement of fact.

What a transformation.. almost overnight !

I never challenged the polls once, in fact the opposite.

People saying that a poll of their office has the same relevance as Ashcroft's exit poll are just as stupid as those saying it was going to be 65% Yes.

NO voters are subservient by nature, they take any shit that people thow to them.

YES voters are more determined, we seek to right wrongs.

I reckon that's why NO voters are finding it so difficult to understand the response of YES voters. They don't understand the psyche.

You can hear the tears in their voices as they mutter "but, but, but we won; it's just no fair that you won't accept that, boo hoo".

NO voters are subservient by nature, they take any shit that people thow to them.

YES voters are more determined, we seek to right wrongs.

I reckon that's why NO voters are finding it so difficult to understand the response of YES voters. They don't understand the psyche.

You can hear the tears in their voices as they mutter "but, but, but we won; it's just no fair that you won't accept that, boo hoo".

They also do not have, and cannot understand the level of passion we have.

They're also less handsome than us Yes voters. Did you see the utter nick of those No voters in that executive bar as the results came in? Jesus.

:lol:

Aye, No supporters are absolutely distraught right now, wishing they could switch places with Yes voters no doubt.

Not.

I'd just like to thank Alex Salmond for dividing a country which has always felt pretty close/together throughout my life.

Well done big man, you've started a fight in an empty hoose. :thumsup2

It was a fight that was always going to happen though

After travelling a bit i see Scotland as united as one and am proud to be a Scot although a lot of Scots don't think the same as me. The protestant catholic divide is nothing like it was 20+ year ago and with a little bit of luck could almost be a thing of the past. The east west divide is more to do with accents rather than identity IMO and not really a divide. Im from the west but live in Edinburgh and don't feel any sort of divide although again others will disagree.

I don't think we will be a united country after this referendum but something changed last thursday that will change Scotland for ever

After travelling a bit i see Scotland as united as one and am proud to be a Scot although a lot of Scots don't think the same as me. The protestant catholic divide is nothing like it was 20+ year ago and with a little bit of luck could almost be a thing of the past. The east west divide is more to do with accents rather than identity IMO and not really a divide. Im from the west but live in Edinburgh and don't feel any sort of divide although again others will disagree.

I don't think we will be a united country after this referendum but something changed last thursday that will change Scotland for ever

Being divided after a nationwide conversation on identity and governance isnt necessarily worse than being a collective doormat, all apathetic to the decisions that govern us, as one.

I genuinely don't understand why this Ashcroft poll is getting so much coverage. The YouGov poll which had a larger sample size and was also done after the voting (and called the result almost spot on) didn't show over 65s being the deciding factor. It showed every age group voting No except the 25-39 group: http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/e1yphtuis8/Final_Prediction_140918_Final_Website.pdf

'Pension Pot' is a funny name for national debt.

NI just pays the interest.

State pensions is nothing more than a pyramid scheme. There is a reason why you constantly hear about this "black hole" in pensions, because money being taken from new investors is insufficient to honour promises issued to earlier generations. It also guarantees a situation where taxes go up in real terms for the working population. It's a fundamentally unsound model that would be illegal in the private sector. Do these baby boomers really expect people like me to be able to pay for their lavish pensions? Given how shitty the jobs market is? The reason the jobs market is so bad, is almost solely due to government policy. Something which isn't going to be fixed until the whole thing crashes in spectacular fashion.

State pensions is nothing more than a pyramid scheme. There is a reason why you constantly hear about this "black hole" in pensions, because money being taken from new investors is insufficient to honour promises issued to earlier generations. It also guarantees a situation where taxes go up in real terms for the working population. It's a fundamentally unsound model that would be illegal in the private sector. Do these baby boomers really expect people like me to be able to pay for their lavish pensions? Given how shitty the jobs market is? The reason the jobs market is so bad, is almost solely due to government policy. Something which isn't going to be fixed until the whole thing crashes in spectacular fashion.

You are being stupid here, pal and confusing state pensions with company, "final salary" schemes.

State pensions have always been on the basis that current earners pay for current pensioners. There is no 'black hole' but there may be a demographic risk.

Final salary schemes are different and assume that the reserves made by a company are enough to meet future obligations. There may well be a 'black hole'.

The rest of your post was mewling pish.

You are being stupid here, pal and confusing state pensions with company, "final salary" schemes.

State pensions have always been on the basis that future earners pay for current pensioners. There is no 'black hole' but there may be a demographic risk.

Final salary schemes are different and assume that the reserves made by a company are enough to meet future obligations. There may well be a 'black hole'.

He's made a c**t of it but in a roundabout way he never understood...there is a point there. There are more people drawing state pensions than envisioned when the welfare state was formed so it is a larger drain on the economy than it was supposed to be due to the proportions of pensioners v working people. Without sounding glib this is possibly a temporary situation because of the baby boomer generation. If life expectancy continues to climb though it may get worse.

Private pensions are supposed to mitigate this reliance on the state pension. Unfortunately Brown ( and it has to said Lawson did the same) used pensions a slush fund for public spending at exactly the time we all should have been topping them up because all the actuaries predictions about life expectancy had been

wildly inaccurate for so many years.

There's a hole in both which is now trying to be plugged with the workplace pension after Labours stakeholder plan was a catastrophic failure.

State pensions have always been on the basis that current earners pay for current pensioners. There is no 'black hole' but there may be a demographic risk.

So you accept that the Britnat scaremongering over a blackhole in state pensions in an independent Scotland was an absolute pile of shyte then?

If you accept they were lying about that then why should we believe anything else they have been saying?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/gordon-brown-warns-15-billion-3435038

So you accept that the Britnat scaremongering over a blackhole in state pensions in an independent Scotland was an absolute pile of shyte then?

If you accept they were lying about that then why should we believe anything else they have been saying?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/gordon-brown-warns-15-billion-3435038

Wasn't scaremongering. The proportion of old people to working is causing a pensions liability and the gap needs to be plugged.

Wasn't scaremongering. The proportion of old people to working is causing a pensions liability and the gap needs to be plugged.

That applies whether we are independent or not so why was it used for pro-union propaganda? Why did No canvassers go around Scotland telling pensioners that they wouls lose their pensions if we went independent even though they knew it was a lie?

Archived