If you removed the 65+ vote from last night...

Confidemus

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at Quebec (which is almost exactly the same size as Scotland), the secessionists lost by just 1%.

There were more spoiled ballot papers in Quebec than the margin of victory.

Whilst you may be proven correct, and I think there will be another referendum in my lifetime, Quebec would suggest otherwise.

And their referendum was exceptionally close unlike our landslide.

If you look at Quebec (which is almost exactly the same size as Scotland), the secessionists lost by just 1%.

There were more spoiled ballot papers in Quebec than the margin of victory.

Didn't Quebec have a first referendum with a similar result to ours then the baw hair one a few (5-10) years later? Or I could just be havering.

Can you imagine if ours was that close?

Folk are not acting in an undemocratic fashion. They accept the result. They don't like it, they're coming to terms with it, but they accept it.

The morons signing petitions about ballot rigging clearly are.

Also some of the stuff being posted on FB is just vile - comments about "hoping old folk die" are just appalling.

The ballot rigging shit is fucking embarrassing and a complete waste of energy that could be used elsewhere. That and the BBC march has a bit too much of the always cheated never defeateds about it for my liking.

Pick yourselves up, get fucking on with the movement or whatever it is and stop looking for people to blame.

15% swing in a few months is a great achievement so dry your eyes and build on it

Also some of the stuff being posted on FB is just vile - comments about "hoping old folk die" are just appalling.

Harsh. But people are hurting at the moment.

The working age population of this nation who by and large voted voted yes, have just seen another part of their future taken by the vast majority of a generation who have in general had it all from cradle to grave.

Obviously that does not excuse the comments, but I can understand them.

The ballot rigging shit is fucking embarrassing and a complete waste of energy that could be used elsewhere. That and the BBC march has a bit too much of the always cheated never defeateds about it for my liking.

Pick yourselves up, get fucking on with the movement or whatever it is and stop looking for people to blame.

15% swing in a few months is a great achievement so dry your eyes and build on it

Where s this 15% swing coming from?

I agree.

The vent on FB is not good - and whenever its pointed out to folk they usually retract it (or at least sometimes they do).

There absolutely is an issue with the over 60 baby boomers having their cake, eating it, then having the next generations cake and eating that too but some of the comments are horrendous. Folk are just lashing out.

The vote-rigging complaints is tin foil hat stuff. I think the media bias during the campaign (in some cases subtle, is some cases not so much) played a part in turning folk paranoid. Again, understandable - but not really sensible.

I agree.

The vent on FB is not good - and whenever its pointed out to folk they usually retract it (or at least sometimes they do).

There absolutely is an issue with the over 60 baby boomers having their cake, eating it, then having the next generations cake and eating that too but some of the comments are horrendous. Folk are just lashing out.

The vote-rigging complaints is tin foil hat stuff. I think the media bias during the campaign (in some cases subtle, is some cases not so much) played a part in turning folk paranoid. Again, understandable - but not really sensible.

That's exactly where the hate comes from and you really are an idiot for considering that as an issue. The governments are at fault over pensions but you blame an age group.

That's exactly where the hate comes from and you really are an idiot for considering that as an issue. The governments are at fault over pensions but you blame an age group.

I think you're a little obsessed with me now Banterous. I'm flattered, I really am.

My point is that people who berate the elderly are just lashing out. There is a legitimate reason for this - which is the baby boomer benefits over the years. You obviously consider this to be an issue too.

Whether or not its government's fault or the individuals themselves - there's no doubt voting No for selfish reasons like many people did is down to themselves.

I think you're a little obsessed with me now Banterous. I'm flattered, I really am.

My point is that people who berate the elderly are just lashing out. There is a legitimate reason for this - which is the baby boomer benefits over the years. You obviously consider this to be an issue too.

Whether or not its government's fault or the individuals themselves - there's no doubt voting No for selfish reasons like many people did is down to themselves.

Proved my earlier point again. Ta

This is the galling thing. I would confidently say that most Yes voters didn't vote for themselves. It was, by and large, a vote for the betterment of Scotland.

73% of old people voted for themselves and their pensions, without engaging or listening. That's their legacy.

But that's democracy and as bitter a pill as it is to swallow, we have to accept it.

The above is all my personal opinion, obvs.

Harsh. But people are hurting at the moment.

The working age population of this nation who by and large voted voted yes, have just seen another part of their future taken by the vast majority of a generation who have in general had it all from cradle to grave.

Obviously that does not excuse the comments, but I can understand them.

This is the galling thing. I would confidently say that most Yes voters didn't vote for themselves. It was, by and large, a vote for the betterment of Scotland.

73% of old people voted for themselves and their pensions, without engaging or listening. That's their legacy.

But that's democracy and as bitter a pill as it is to swallow, we have to accept it.

The above is all my personal opinion, obvs.

The air will clear and the heightened emotions will die down but what will be left will be a resentment at the stance of the 55+ age group.

This resentment will not be based on how they voted but rather the perceived selfishness of the reasons behind the vote.

We must remember, of course, that tens of thousands in this age group voted YES; and we must take comfort from the gradual change in demographics will allow another opportunity in the not too distant future.

Archived