The 45

Spain

I'm not sure I agree with the whole 'it's over, let's just get on with it' attitude.

I fully accept the decision and understand and respect that it's democracy in action but over the course of the last year or so, I've become increasingly disillusioned with how things are today. When this all started I was very much a no and of the 'well, I like the status quo' variety, but the more I read and the more I learned the more I realised I actually despise a lot about the society we live in today. There's a lot to be grateful for and our lives are easier than most but it doesn't mean we should settle for that, we should work and aspire to become the greatest country we can.

As it stands, I've got two options in terms of politics. I can either stay in Scotland and support the cause that I seem to share with 45% of the country or I can accept the majority don't want the same as me and I can move to a country that does want the same as me. With a few current life events that have transpired, the latter option looks a really appealing one to me. I never once said 'if it's a no, I'm off' but now that it's here I just see very little hope for British politics providing the kind of country I want to live in and I'm young enough at 25 that it could be the right time for a change of scene.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I appreciate the irritation and frustrations, but to me all this is doing is further compounding a them and us mentality.

Yes people are hurting and there's going to be an expecting "grieving" period, but we have to move forward.

If no voters started a "The 55" campaign it would be equally harmful

That's my feeling on it... If identifying and trumpeting being part of "the 45" is something to help people grieve, move on, deal with it, whatever phrase you want, in the coming days and weeks - that's OK, and not too counter-productive. (Albeit it would cause some division and angst). It was a momentous event, not an emotional tap instantly turned on>off.

If however the idea is to establish something to last months and years - with the intention of dividing the nation along the faultline of "How You Voted In 2014", and the motivation of associating shame with those who voted 'No' or a sense of superiority in those who voted 'Yes' - that'll be unhelpful and damaging. For everyone.

And saying this isn't saying people should revert to some sort of 'status quo', nor forget it happened. It's saying that particular approach of having "the 45" - like "We Said Yes/Don't Blame Us" - would be bad, as it could be divisive, backward-looking, and antagonistic.

The 45 (of which I was 1) need to give this pish a rest. We need to now move on and push towards devolution together!

Most of those who voted no, don't give a rat's ass about further devolution. I reserve the right to remind them and shame them, as I wish.

I thought the 45 thing was more of a way to show that the Indy movement was still out there with near on half the country supporting it, and wouldn't be going away any time soon, rather than a way to divide Yes and No.

Edit- the "Don't blame me -I voted Yes!" thing seems pretty counterproductive imo.

I thought the 45 thing was more of a way to show that the Indy movement was still out there with near on half the country supporting it, and wouldn't be going away any time soon, rather than a way to divide Yes and No.

Edit- the "Don't blame me -I voted Yes!" thing seems pretty counterproductive imo.

are you still here? thought you were moving away

It makes one out to be a rebel of some sort putting the 45 on their status - its as if they're saying "f**k you society i voted for a change so I'm not doing what you tell me"

I voted yes obviously - on a scale of 1-10 that people were going on about on the referendum 1 being Darling and 10 being Salmond i was always on the 6, 7 mark but gun to head always thought it was going to be a No so felt that my vote was rebellious as much as anything. Come the time of the election i was stressed about other things and it was the last thing i needed and i was content with the outcome on Friday morning, over the weekend though i have grown slightly bitter over it and do feel sad about it but hopefully won't always feel the need to have the don't blame me i voted yes attitude through life.

That's my feeling on it... If identifying and trumpeting being part of "the 45" is something to help people grieve, move on, deal with it, whatever phrase you want, in the coming days and weeks - that's OK, and not too counter-productive. (Albeit it would cause some division and angst). It was a momentous event, not an emotional tap instantly turned on>off.

If however the idea is to establish something to last months and years - with the intention of dividing the nation along the faultline of "How You Voted In 2014", and the motivation of associating shame with those who voted 'No' or a sense of superiority in those who voted 'Yes' - that'll be unhelpful and damaging. For everyone.

And saying this isn't saying people should revert to some sort of 'status quo', nor forget it happened. It's saying that particular approach of having "the 45" - like "We Said Yes/Don't Blame Us" - would be bad, as it could be divisive, backward-looking, and antagonistic.

As i said elsewhere the people involved in these campaigns absolutely do not want Scotland to be a success in the future.

Because they didn't get what they wanted.

I think that's pretty sad but it does at least show the pretence of it being a movement about the betterment of Scotland was a lie.

It never was. It was about selfish people getting what they wanted. And if they don't? Burn the village.

Archived