Wine

Romeo

What wine do you prefer  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You used to get naked cellar wines down under, it basically was wine left over from the vineyards that they were not selling with their own label on the bottle so to speak. Same wine however.

The guy in the bottle shop where I used to get them seriously knew his wine, you could pick up a $50 for about $15 iirc.

Glorious!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love a nice bottle of red. Just can't take to white for some reason. Asda do a nice red, "dreamtime ridge" for £3.50, and despite the cheap price, it's quite nice. The "baron St Jean" from Aldi is good as well. A nice glass of red complements a steak very well, or with a dash put in a casserole of some sort gives it a nice flavour.

Isn't that some trendy condom?

Sorry folks, but it's a terrible waste of The Lord's delicious grapes, to me.

I refuse to believe that grapes are even involved in the making of that Buckfast stuff, however, although I fear that monks' jockstraps and nuns' used pantyliners may be involved in the filtration process :barf

I love a nice bottle of red. Just can't take to white for some reason. Asda do a nice red, "dreamtime ridge" for £3.50, and despite the cheap price, it's quite nice. The "baron St Jean" from Aldi is good as well. A nice glass of red complements a steak very well, or with a dash put in a casserole of some sort gives it a nice flavour.

Baron St Jean is, literally,pish. God knows I ain't fussy but even I draw the line at that.

Well, that's your opinion skiddypants, but it's actually quite nice. I dunno if there's an asda near you, but if there is try a bottle of it. I was sceptical about it, in fact the missus didn't tell me the price until after I'd tried it, I thought she was joking at first.

It'll be mixed grapes. The quality is reflected in the price. If you're just wanting to get pissed then go for it, but if you're using it for the reasons you've given, then its bath water m8.

I was at a wine tasting evening, folk were going 'this wine tastes cheap and nasty' and stuff like that.

The guy who was doing it was getting his head nipped by a few middle aged harpies who were so stuck up, if you put coal up their backsides, it would have come down a diamond.

He got a bit annoyed with them and shouted 'look, if you like the wine, drink it, if you don't, then don't but stop pissing me off, we are all here to get pished and you're ruining it for others'.

One man's nectar is another man's poison IMO.

Oh yeah Philpy, if you spend a wee bit more than a fiver at Eskbank Wines, the guy will give you a very decent bottle. Much better than your normal supermarket stuff, it might be from somewhere like Bulgaria, but it's decent stuff.

Best red I ever had was in Dubrovnik. It was Croatian wine and haven't a clue what it was, but it was superb stuff!

This last page puts me in mind of Alan Partridge and his love of Blue Nun.

I prefer reds. I'll drink Pinot Grigio, Frascati or the likes if it's a sunny night outdoors, or that's all that's on offer, but generally I like reds. Shiraz, Rioja and Malbec mainly. On the Shiraz tonight.

Not a massive fan of wine but if I'm on a date and she's a fan of red then I always go for a Campo Viejo Rioja.

Anyone know what the house white is in Arta in Glasgow? Someone got me a glass of that once and to this day it is still the nicest wine I've tried.

• 11 months later...

Aldi's selection of wine has improved markedly in recent years. I can recall buying stuff from there maybe 5 years ago and it was absoolutely louping. However, they now have several nice wines. So much so, that i've not had a bad one recently.

Just saying...

I prefer South American wine at the moment.

Current top buys from Aldi for me are their Agentinian Uco Valley Malbec, Chilean Sauvignon Blanc 'Andara' and their Baron Amarillio Rioja. If you're not into wine, they have loads of good craft beers at the moment.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Aldi's selection of wine has improved markedly in recent years. I can recall buying stuff from there maybe 5 years ago and it was absoolutely louping. However, they now have several nice wines. So much so, that i've not had a bad one recently.

Just saying...

Aldi and lidl have a different range from the usual supermarkets.

Quick tip for wine newbies..get a DOC.

Archived