How your MP voted on Iraq strikes

Confidemus

Christ, how often do you you this same shit you speccy wee coward?

:lol:

Sometimes some folk just need telt!

And heedthebaa (great name by the way), exactly how have I been "blown away" by Ad Lib here? Be very, very specific.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No need to be specific. Just reread the thread. You're a car crash to any credible person trying to argue from the same side as you.

You seem upset. I can't possibly think why.

We've got some lovely partners over there:

Abbas Abdulhussein, commander of Suleiman Beg front south of Kirkuk, told Rudaw, “All of the volunteers have come for jihad against IS. Every battalion has a commander and all of the commanders are under the command of (Badr leader) Hadi al-Ameri who carries out the orders of the highest Shiite clerics.”

“The Shiite jihadists have the right to take the lives and properties of those Sunni Arabs who have fought along with IS, because they had taken the lives and properties of Shiites. They have killed dozens of Shiite police, soldiers and citizens and they continue to do so,” Abdulhussein added.
Abdulhussein said, “We believe that those who lived under the IS command are considered IS members. There are no impartial people under the authority of IS.”

http://rudaw.net/english/middleeast/iraq/01102014

Wait am I reading that right? They're claiming those living under the rule of IS, are to be treated as IS members? WTF?

I'm living under a ConDem coalition so I'm either a Tory or a Lib Dem?

How did I f**k my life up so badly. :(

Okay here's my problem with this. I think every state has a moral obligation to intervene here and just because others could do it without us doesn't mean we are morally excused. I think our presence does make a difference. Diplomatically, we have the capacity to build support with other states collectively that the U.S. does not always have.

It is also a myth that we are taking the front seat here militarily. Regional actors are. The U.S. strikes are happening with Saudi, Jordanian, UAE and Turkish assistance. Christ, we've even brought Iran within the diplomatic tent on this one. This coalition-building is much harder when it's just the US and we set the ball rolling for others to muck in.

There is also negligible evidence that Western involvement actually has a strong connection to radicalisation. The genie has long since been out of that bottle and the mere non involvement of the UK in these conflicts won't stop extremist groups recruiting under the ruse that the governments they are fighting are Western Imperial Puppets. The choice is not radicalise or don't radicalise. It's let them radicalise without giving the secular leaders the multinational support to refute it in a very real and practical way, or let them radicalise and take over entire States.

By being participants in the bombing we show and emphasise that the bombing campaign is a direct response by the international community collectively to a specific request by the legitimate government of Iraq for defensive assistance and not simply the US going "right that's it we're going to carpet bomb this place and put our guys in".

I respect the moral obligation argument, and I see that it can just look like cowardice and rampant shitebaggery to say there's a moral obligation for someone to do something but because others have got there first, we don't have to do anything. However, as action was already being taken and in purely military terms what the UK can offer is inconsequential, I think it's possible to be more pragmatic about this and stop to think whether our involvement actually helps.

I think it's valid to argue that you fully agree that there is a moral obligation for someone to take action against IS, but as that action is already being taken, you can respect that in light of Britain's history in the Middle East, particularly our 21st century contributions to the region, it's better for us not to become directly involved at risk of further radicalising people in the region and contriving to make this even worse. Although as the US is playing a prominent role, I guess it's possible to argue that if Western action radicalises people then the UK's involvement will make no difference to that.

I completely see where you're coming from, I just don't feel that providing diplomatic and logistical support while stopping short of joining the bombing ourselves constitutes an abdication of our responsibility.

I will say though that anyone using 'but we shouldn't be spending money on this when we have problems at home' is making a preposterous, morally indefensible argument.

Archived