Kilmarnock vs Dundee United - 03/10/14

Stuart Armstong had an effort blocked by Craig Samson at point-blank range. And, although the United man appeared to come off worse as the two collided, it was the home goalkeeper who had to be replaced at half-time with a suspected fractured toe

What sort of game did the toe have? :ph34r:

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You look at the pitches over the next few months and try and tell anyone that those pitches are better than the artificial surfaces.

I don't need to. I remember past winters in life, and I can assure you I would rather play on grass surface than an astroturf surface any day, and I play on pitches that are in a hell of a lot worse a condition than those in the Premiership.

In fact I've rarely ever met someone who plays football (11 a side) who would rather play on astroturf.

But again, not blaming the pitch for the defeat. We were just awful....

Cierzniak (5) Made a couple of good saves, but his kicking is horrific off the deck, and for some stupid reason, we like to pass the ball about, slowly moving it backwards until we run out of options and give it to Rado - genius! Also looked an arse when lobbed whilst in one of his usual silent 'are you having or am I having it?' moments with Morris.

Watson (6) Got forward and defended ok. Made mistakes, but was his usual self.

Morris (5) I don't like this guy, as a footballer. I'm putting it out there. He's very strong and good in one-on-one circumstances, but his passing is horrifically bad, and he has at least two or three 'WTF?!' moments in every game. Souttar makes even more mistakes but at least he can pass a ball.

Fojut (5) His passing ain't great either, but better than Morris. Was his usual solid self yesterday, apart for 2 moments, both of which resulted in goals. There was no need at all for him to slide in on Eremenko, which left him on his arse, and it was I believe his man who scored from the corner. I like him still though.

Dillon (5) Has done well in recent weeks, but yesterday his unwillingness to get forward, and his hatred of using his left foot was mindblowingly obvious.

Paton (4) Everyone knows what i think about this guy by now, but I'll repeat it. A midfielder who doesn't want the ball when there's opposition within a ten yard radius of him is useless. He can pass the ball forty or fifty yards (sometimes) but it's all he can do. Jamie Hamill made him look shite yesterday by comparison - Jamie fcukin Hamill. Just checked it back, he's the one that gets megged for the 1st goal.

Rankin (5) Get's an extra point simply by being the only guy in the last half hour that seemed to give a shite anymore. The fact remains Paton and Rankin are dominated in midfield far too often.

Armstong (4) I love the lad, but he did nothing yesterday.

Dow (5) Did very little more. In fact I hardly even noticed him until we were 2-0.

Erskine (6) Best of a crap bunch, but he couldn't do it on his own.

Ciftci (5) A little sympathy for him. He shouldn't give up like he did and start sulking about, but he was clearly fed up having no service, and nobody helping him out when he did get the ball.

I think so too. I've never really understood the disdain for Hamill on here. I've always thought he was a good player at this level. Good for a few goals each season as well.

Hamills been the main difference for us this season, he may not be the best player in the world, but he knows what he's doing. huge difference from having that headless chicken Irvine last season

ciftci storming up the wrong tunnell was the comedy highlight of the season so far :lol:

and as for those bleating about a plastic pitch. grow up playing on blaise and then you'll think plastic is fantastic

Paton (4) Everyone knows what i think about this guy by now, but I'll repeat it. A midfielder who doesn't want the ball when there's opposition within a ten yard radius of him is useless. He can pass the ball forty or fifty yards (sometimes) but it's all he can do. Jamie Hamill made him look shite yesterday by comparison - Jamie fcukin Hamill. Just checked it back, he's the one that gets megged for the 1st goal.

Rankin (5) Get's an extra point simply by being the only guy in the last half hour that seemed to give a shite anymore. The fact remains Paton and Rankin are dominated in midfield far too often.

While I wouldn't go as far as some of these points, I agree with alot of it. Paton and Rankin got alot of credit last season for 'protecting the back 4' but for the most part our defence looked extremely vulnerable. They are at their best when as a team we press higher up and don't give teams time to take a touch, pick a pass etc, like what led to a couple of goals in the recent derby. When they sit off and invite teams onto us until they're in the final third we look dreadful, concede countless free kicks around the box, and corners from which we have conceded too many goals this season already.

I don't think there's a problem with their ability as footballers, certainly not at this level, it's more of a tactical thing from what I've seen.

Re the pitch thing, watch Killie,s injuries later in the season. Don't care who you are, that stuff is torture on ankles and knees.

On another point, it does have an effect on attitudes.

Players don't like it and I,d offer that the crappy attitude of some of United,s players last night show that.

No drive, no urgency, well beaten

I don't think there's a problem with their ability as footballers, certainly not at this level, it's more of a tactical thing from what I've seen.

Well that's one way to look at it. Kilmarnock's midfielders constantly showed themselves for passes as they worked it out from the back to good effect. We just punted it up the park. Now is that how Jackie McNamara is telling the team to play? He could be, but I sure as hell hope not!

All this talk of being a moron if you don't like artificial pitches is clearly coming from people who don't play the game, it's awful on the knees, horrible to slide on, becomes very unnatural when wet and this is all before you take into account that it's clearly an advantage to the team playing on it week in, week out. Every team I can remember having an artificial pitch has had an excellent home record. That said it's no excuse really Killie were the better team on the night and deserved the points.

There has been research into the effects of synthetic surfaces on the human body and there's nothing to suggest that playing on them regularly will have any detrimental effect in comparison to grass.

Barcelona for one ripped up all their grass training pitches and replaced them with synthetic alternatives in the summer. Also, if synthetic pitches were really so bad on your knees etc then why does nearly every national federation around the world encourage and contribute financially to the addition of more and more 3G pitches for young players to play on?

You say it becomes "very unnatural when wet" yet last night the ball was running perfectly well. How would the ball have ran on a grass pitch with the same amount of rainfall? A bit like this I'd imagine...

Or this...

I know which game I'd rather watch again.

All this talk of being a moron if you don't like artificial pitches is clearly coming from people who don't play the game, it's awful on the knees, horrible to slide on, becomes very unnatural when wet and this is all before you take into account that it's clearly an advantage to the team playing on it week in, week out. Every team I can remember having an artificial pitch has had an excellent home record. That said it's no excuse really Killie were the better team on the night and deserved the points.

The "people who don't play the game" line is used every so often on P&B and is a ridiculous one. I do "play the game" by the way and give me a game on a modern artificial surface over a shitty council pitch any day of the week, especially over the next few months.

people who don't play the game

And what level do you play the game at exactly? I only play once a week at 5's so I guess my opinion isn't as valid as yours?

Also, people who have played the game in the past include Jimmy Calderwood and Sandy Clark, so how in any world is their opinion more valid than anyone elses?

With regards to the pitch, Im not necessarily against all synthetic surfaces as the top of the range stuff is a million miles away from the astro at you local 5s centre.

The issue is the advantage it gives a team thats playing on it every second week - at least in a shit-fest mud bath both teams are up against it whereas Kilmarnock will benefit over the season from their familiarity with the surface.

United did look out of sorts last night and at least three players looked to suffer jarring injuries on the pitch ... but we've been flat plenty of times on grass surfaces and I'm inclined to think that the players were just cold, wet and up against a side that coped better with the conditions. I didn't think we were under any great pressure but equally we created nothing of any note all night so a draw is probably the best we could have hoped for. Killie on the other hand scored two good goals and that's all you can ask on a cold Friday night in the pissing rain.

A lot of wanking on the TV commentary about Eremenko but he didn't stand out for me particularly. Lovely touch, intelligence etc, natch, but his lack of pace and energy means that he plays far too deep. He'd be a far greater threat thirty yards further up the pitch (I suppose he wouldn't be playing in Scotland if he could shift the weight). Connolly was very good though. Lived up to the hype he was given pre match.

United did look out of sorts last night and at least three players looked to suffer jarring injuries on the pitch ... but we've been flat plenty of times on grass surfaces and I'm inclined to think that the players were just cold, wet and up against a side that coped better with the conditions. I didn't think we were under any great pressure but equally we created nothing of any note all night so a draw is probably the best we could have hoped for. Killie on the other hand scored two good goals and that's all you can ask on a cold Friday night in the pissing rain.

A lot of wanking on the TV commentary about Eremenko but he didn't stand out for me particularly. Lovely touch, intelligence etc, natch, but his lack of pace and energy means that he plays far too deep. He'd be a far greater threat thirty yards further up the pitch (I suppose he wouldn't be playing in Scotland if he could shift the weight). Connolly was very good though. Lived up to the hype he was given pre match.

He has assisted our last 4 goals. He does lack pace, but I don't think that particularly matters when we have other players doing the running for him. It also didn't stop him absolutely rinsing Fojut for the first goal!

He has assisted our last 4 goals. He does lack pace, but I don't think that particularly matters when we have other players doing the running for him. It also didn't stop him absolutely rinsing Fojut for the first goal!

No need to be so defensive, chief. I'm merely suggesting that he would be a greater threat if he lost a couple of stone.

Its always terrified, and saddened, me that Eremenko is this good despite clearly being half-arsed about the whole thing

No need to be so defensive, chief. I'm merely suggesting that he would be a greater threat if he lost a couple of stone.

Don't think he was being defensive at all, just disagreeing with you. To be fair, it does seem strange to suggest a guy isn't offering enough of a threat when he laid on both goals. Eremenko's not a striker, and he did exactly what was expected of him - if keeps doing what he's doing, he can be as 'big-boned' as he likes.

Good performance by Killie, Eremenko showing us what he can do again, still short of fitness but that'll come. Good to see Tope continue his recent scoring run and no one deserved a goal more than mark connolly, he's been an absolute rock for us this season. Tbf though Dundee united were poor, never really created anything decent. Ciftci moaning all game as if the ref owed him something.

Hats off to Jackie Mcnamara though, was expecting every pitch related excuse under the sun during his interview but he was dignified and accepted his team just weren't up to their best.

Archived