General Election 2015

Ludo*1

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sturgeon killed it tonight on on BBC big speech.

Yes she was very good on that. Was impressed with Leanne Wood of Plaid Cymru as well.

How refreshing to hear a completely different political viewpoint from the usual stuff we get on TV from the 3 main London party's

A UK Parliament entirely beholden to the pesky Jock nationalists; middle England in utter seethe.

pleasing.jpg

I think I would enjoy the batshit mental seethe from uberBritnats such as Effie Deans and those tactical voting morons more than I would the predictable breakdown from middle England.

May 2015

SNP win 50+ seats and Aberdeen FC become Champions of Scotland

Oh it will be a drunken, drunken summer if even one of those things happen :)

A few Labour attacks nullified by the budget. Will be interesting to see what Ed says, the help to buy ISA seems fertile ground for attack, definitely advantage Tory now though.

Well, Labour's policy on the minimum wage was so fucking timid to start with, it's not a surprise that the Tories felt able to match it.

On the other hand the help to buy ISA sounds good, but isn't going to build more houses, or decrease pressure on the housing market massively, particularly in SE England.

From what I've seen(mostly the end) it's an ok budget, probably about as left-wing as you can get from a tory chancellor. Of course that's no surprise given the timing, but it seems more of an attempt to get lib -dem (it will be interesting to see how these seats are fought) or labour marginals than an attempt to hold off ukip.

It's not going to change things up here really, maybe slightly reduce the fear of a Tory government and thereby limiting the effect of the vote snp get conservative line.

Thoughts on the Budget?

Good for the Tories you'd have to imagine, a fair few giveaways to their target market(s). A welcome and larger than expected boost for the North Sea oil industry.

Not entirely sure all this "help to buy" chat and proposals aren't going to just lead to another inflated housing bubble.

Thoughts on the Budget?

Good for the Tories you'd have to imagine, a fair few giveaways to their target market(s). A welcome and larger than expected boost for the North Sea oil industry.

Not entirely sure all this "help to buy" chat and proposals aren't going to just lead to another inflated housing bubble.

Agree with all of this. It's quite a clever budget for me - they've neutralised a lot of labour's election promises, offered some 'giveaways' to pretty much every demographic and they've done all of that whilst keeping a lid on things in terms of the economy.

During Osborne's speech, you could see how glum the opposition bench looked - I think they realise how difficult it has made their campaign.

It certainly wont help Labour's cause in Scotland much, as the budget doesn't present as being particularly 'scary'. It doesn't strengthen their 'vote SNP get Tory' line much anyway.

The Tories may well have won themselves the most seats down south with that today - still won't be enough for a majority mind.

Labour bench looked distraught at what they were hearing as they realised they'd been out-maneuvered on nearly everything.

Jim Murphy's comment that the party with most seats forms the government is likely to come back to bite him on the arse now.

Tories were forced to backtrack on the Autumn statement in order to nullify the Labour attack, but there is enough left for Labour to highlight differences and continue criticising. I'd expect a poll boost for the Tories, but Miliband actually attacked it quite well considering his biggest weapon had just been taken away from him and Labour obviously feel that they can stick to their plans and there wasn't anything too unexpected to come out and completely throw Labour's strategy. Good for the Conservatives, but not as good as it could have been.

Pretty good for the Lib Dems as well, they can point to the raising of the tax free allowance as something they brought to the table and fought for which voters will actually feel and I think they will be happy with. They've shown they can work as junior partners in a coalition and I think they will be quietly pleased with today as well.

It feels like the battle lines for the election are properly set out now. It's getting quite exciting.

Archived