General Election 2015

Ludo*1

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A fair bit of whataboutery in here.

Likening two thirds of your constituents to Nazi collaborators is indefensible for someone who wants to be an elected representative.

Agreed. More than whiff of double standards as well, I can imagine a few who would be seething if this was a unionist politician who had uttered similar nonsense.

However, the strongest 
attacks were aimed at pensioners. Two tweets on June 8, 2012, mocked some elderly voters for “barely knowing their own name”, and claimed: “The generation who vote the same way because they always have done are dying off.”

He's absolutely spot on in that last sentence.

A fair bit of whataboutery in here.

Likening two thirds of your constituents to Nazi collaborators is indefensible for someone who wants to be an elected representative.

Let's compare it to an illegal war; a politician assisted, bank led economic crisis;the bedroom tax; the privatisation of the NHS in England and Wales; the massive growth in poverty and the need for food banks; selling of a share of the Royal Mail way below market value......

Maybe that should help you redefine your use of the word 'indefensible'.

Should we sack boris Johnson for his atrocious comments about our FM by comparing her to King Herod?

He's not ours to sack

and to be honest the people of London knew they were electing a loud mouth buffoon with a flair for saying inappropriate things so it would be odd for them to take exception to it now.

A week is a long time in politics.

Two weeks must be an eternity.

It is indeed a long time - could you see yourself voting for someone like that though?

The fact he's the SNP candidate at an election where the SNP have proven to be untouchable, even when the criticisms levelled have actually been quite fair, might yet save him.

I suppose it depends how widely this gets reported. The Scotsman don't have a huge readership and I can't see the BBC/STV picking it up.

I think his comments will chime nicely with those that are nowhere near pension age, we've had parties pandering to them for decades now rather than tackling the problem of an ageing population.

I would love to see figures in todays money that shows how much your average 75 year old has paid into the system opposed to how much they've taken out and how much more they will take out.

You have to pander to the elderly to win votes, because not only do they represent a large demographic. Especially in Scotland, but they also they're also the people who are most likely to vote. This is why they get so many bribes like winter fuel allowance and inflation busting pensions. Of course they've taken far more out than they've ever payed in, but you can never confront anyone on this because you'll be on the receiving end of "Ah've paid intae this system mah whole life, and ah should get something oot of it". However, the big problem is what happens when all these baby boomers in their late 50's early 60's start to enter retirement. There is no way people like me will be able to support them. I suspect they're will be more tax hikes and inflation to be able to cover unfunded pension liabilities, which is going to lead to some kind of revolt in the working population.

Let's compare it to an illegal war; a politician assisted, bank led economic crisis;the bedroom tax; the privatisation of the NHS in England and Wales; the massive growth in poverty and the need for food banks; selling of a share of the Royal Mail way below market value......

That'll be some more whataboutery, then.

Surely Dugdale must have known Sturgeon would have come back with an example of britnat abuse from her side?

Sturgeon pulls out an ace with Ian Smart, a man who speaks on Labour's behalf on TV on numerous occasions.

Dugdale claims she doesn't know about the abuse and seemed to indicate it only matters if you're on the ballot paper...

If Dugdale appears on Smarts Twitter time-line it could be very embarrassing for her

Counters accusations of whatabouttery with, erm, more whatabouttery.

I know it's BuzzFeed, but quite the article here about David Coburn in Falkirk. Say what you like about the man, you get some amazing quotes.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/falkirk-wheel-of-fortune

“The SNP are worthy of the Stasi in East Germany,” he says. “I find that terrifying.”

As a prominent defender of the union, is he worried for his own safety?

“I’m very worried,” says Coburn. “Are they going to arrest me and shoot me? I don’t know. I’d hope not. Not yet, but what they do with independence is another matter.”

Also states that he can't be racist...because he's gay! :huh:

He's not ours to sack

and to be honest the people of London knew they were electing a loud mouth buffoon with a flair for saying inappropriate things so it would be odd for them to take exception to it now.

He could be chucked out of the Conservative Party or investigated by the communities minister. Since nothing has happened we can only assume that his behaviour is acceptable.

It is indeed a long time - could you see yourself voting for someone like that though?

The fact he's the SNP candidate at an election where the SNP have proven to be untouchable, even when the criticisms levelled have actually been quite fair, might yet save him.

I suppose it depends how widely this gets reported. The Scotsman don't have a huge readership and I can't see the BBC/STV picking it up.

I doubt anyone on here hasn't posted something that would look awful, especially out of context. I bet AdLib is a teeny bit anxious. A couple of daft tweets 3 years ago and before he was running for office shouldn't be a hanging offence imo, unless there are a lot more, and sustained fuckwittery.

I know it's BuzzFeed, but quite the article here about David Coburn in Falkirk. Say what you like about the man, you get some amazing quotes.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/falkirk-wheel-of-fortune

Also states that he can't be racist...because he's gay! :huh:

Those comments are worse than anything the SNP candidate for Edinburgh South has said. He's a complete liability - the fact he thinks he's winning in Falkirk with a huge majority sums him and delusions up quite nicely.

Knowing that the local candidate actively hates the Labour party doesn't make me less likely to vote for him. We'll see whether this makes the news tonight: the North Brit isn't even running it as a headline right now, which is curious considering that they'd furiously prepare a late edition for the revelation that separation would cause everyone in Scotland to die of cholera eight months ago.

Knowing that the local candidate actively hates the Labour party doesn't make me less likely to vote for him. We'll see whether this makes the news tonight: the North Brit isn't even running it as a headline right now, which is curious considering that they'd furiously prepare a late edition for the revelation that separation would cause everyone in Scotland to die of cholera eight months ago.

Were u not canvassing for him?

Btw.... I can absolutely feckin assure u that the BBC will run with this.

Archived