General Election 2015

Ludo*1

Old man broon getting a free ride by the media today. A further disaster for labour. Nobody believes him anymore, he has no credibility left. If anyone changes their mind due to the shite he is spouting, then they are complete clowns imo.

Absolutely. If any sane, fully functioning adult considers changing their mind to Labour now, they genuinely should seek help.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in the 70s and 80s there were some academic studies carried out about the anti-Labour bias in the media. Some of the most incidious stuff was the subtle headlines and spin. The were two books at the time that highlighted this 'Bad News' and 'More Bad News'.

I thought this the other day when I saw the headline on the BBC website 'SNP defend budgetary stance'. Why not 'SNP explains budgetary stance'? The second is far more neutral, the former suggests they have something to defend. It is dozens of examples of this type of headline that creates a more negative impression that's the crazy Daily Mail stuff that anyone with a brain just rejects out of hand.

George Osborne on Radio 4 before claiming the Tories are running a positive campaign, however it would be foolish of them not to point out "the chaos of an SNP/Miliband government". I don't think he even said the word Labour once.

If the SNP are to get concessions for any kind of pact with Labour after the election, then getting some kind of control over the BBC in Scotland must be one of them.

I'm not saying the SNP should replace like for like at BBC Scotland in favour of the SNP. Not even your most fervent SNP support wants a biased BBC that favours the SNP. We must have balanced reporting for everyone.

There needs to be an absolute clear out at Pacific Quay. It's been quite shocking at what they have got away with over the years.

Coincidently, their 2 most reasonably unbiased reporters James Cook and Laura Bicker have been give assignments in the USA....hmmnn

James Cook in particular has been a credit to his profession considering the agenda at Pacific Quay. I remember him skewering one BT type on an indyref telly debate he chaired last year. Seems to have a good sense of humour on Twitter too. It does seem a tad convenient that he and Laura Bicker are leaving though with a Scottish election next year.

That said, it will be extremely satisfying viewing watching McQuarrie' s own scottish Labour list having a meltdown even worse than 2011. To see Bird, Magnusson and the rest attempt to retain any composure through the tears and snotters will be an added bonus to the result.

Set the video. I'll be one to watch again and again and again.

I might be wrong but don't we already use an Australian points system for the non-EU migrants?

Similar. Apparently it's harder for non-EEA/EU migrants to get a UK work visa than an Australian work visa. Farage's main point of contention is that EU migrants don't go through a points-based system.

Labour held a meeting at East End Park last night with Gordon Brown in attendance - no idea what the subject matter was though.

Hopefully trying to arrange a new tenant for Thomas Docherty' s office under the main stand. Just be tatty otherwise.

Available from May 8th.

Been asking about in work with the people I work closely with.. Came too;

SNP - 10

Tory - 1

Labour - 3

Two no voters voting SNP, they were both swaying at the time. This isn't a big risk for them like they thought independence might have been.

I'm only 22 so never really properly experienced an election before, would I be right in saying that this will be the most interesting one in a very long time, possibly ever?

I've never seen so many people interested in politics before, never thought I'd see the day where me and my mates were talking at length about an election. Referendum has been great for politics in Scotland.

Seeing that poll of 18-24 year olds massively favouring the SNP bodes well for the future by the way. Great to see that people my age won't just fall into the Labour/Tory camp like people have in the past, we have a good alternative here in Scotland. It would be good if England could have one aswell that wasn't overly extreme.

Get 5 live on boys and girls the seethe is immense, and we are to blame for them having to be British and not English. It is a glorious listen. Shakespeare, morris dancing and Andy Murray always being Scottish not British when he wins. You couldn't make this up.

Labour held a meeting at East End Park last night with Gordon Brown in attendance - no idea what the subject matter was though.

The Fife collective for disaster management? Looking back recently, Brown always seems to appear when it looks like the worst is about to happen. He did it during the referendum (which worked out for him) but on constituency matters he vowed to pull strings with Tesco to keep their Kirkcaldy store open (which failed miserably). He's also trying to organise free travel on stagecoach to food banks (which will probably fail too, but it shouldn't be a problem in the first place).

Been asking about in work with the people I work closely with.. Came too;

SNP - 10

Tory - 1

Labour - 3

Two no voters voting SNP, they were both swaying at the time. This isn't a big risk for them like they thought independence might have been.

I'm only 22 so never really properly experienced an election before, would I be right in saying that this will be the most interesting one in a very long time, possibly ever?

I've never seen so many people interested in politics before, never thought I'd see the day where me and my mates were talking at length about an election. Referendum has been great for politics in Scotland.

Seeing that poll of 18-24 year olds massively favouring the SNP bodes well for the future by the way. Great to see that people my age won't just fall into the Labour/Tory camp like people have in the past, we have a good alternative here in Scotland. It would be good if England could have one aswell that wasn't overly extreme.

I'm 26 and it's certainly the most interesting in my lifetime. I can't remember too much about 1997, but even still I doubt that would be of the same interest as this one. Certainly, politics in Scotland is seeing far more involvement than in many a year. The establishment parties have collectively shat themselves and after labour's failed attempts to (once again) fear Scotland into their ways, have now moved on to trying to scare English voters that the SNP are working with the other parties.

Reports of panic in the city are slightly exaggerated:

"Markets have thus far been relatively unruffled at the prospect of political uncertainty, with 49% of investors surveyed (FT/Interactive Investor) indicating that they were not changing their portfolio ahead of the election, while 30.4% say they will wait until after the result" - Citigroup.

Get 5 live on boys and girls the seethe is immense, and we are to blame for them having to be British and not English. It is a glorious listen. Shakespeare, morris dancing and Andy Murray always being Scottish not British when he wins. You couldn't make this up.

I had some Englishman yesterday at work begging me not to vote SNP when he realised I was in Scotland, he was convinced England would be obliterated and stripped of all resources :lol:

Makes a change from us I suppose.

Someone on saying they well up at last night of the proms.

And that kids is why we're moving in totally different directions.

Archived