P&B's Top 40 Films of the 80's

Christophe

=40 Gregory's Girl (1981)

Dir: Bill Forsyth

"Hard work being in love, eh? Especially when you don't know which girl it is."

poster212x312.jpeg

John Gordon Sinclair is Gregory, an awkward small town Scottish schoolboy, football is his first love and he soon finds another object of desire when new girl Dorothy (Dee Hepburn) joins the school and subsequently the school football team, she takes his place in the team and he ends up stuck in goals. Gregory is smitten though and sets about trying to ask her out.

The movie deals with the torture that is adolescence, puberty and the whirpool of horror that is the body, hormones and emotions changing all at once, it's all dealt with in a wry old manner though, nowt too serious going on here. It's all a rather innocent take on Scottish secondary school life, all the lads love football and girls and all the girls love lads. Sweeties and demure pics of Dorothy are the hot seller in the toilets, rather than fags/drugs etc. Really good film this with plenty laughs, thankfully there's more aspect on the comedy here than the romance which probably doesn't really come across from the promotional material.

You said: "Tits, bum, fanny...the lot"

Random critic rating: 5/5 (Jonathan McAlmont @FilmJuice)

Points - 16

Votes - 3

First Places - 0

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! A few of them on my list. I could probably do a top ten for comedy, action movie, horror etc.

That was the trouble I guess. You end up going something like "Die Hard is brilliant... can I also have Predator, Aliens, Terminator... etc., or do I now have too many action films?"

BTW - thanks very much for doing this, Christophe. I'm going to watch a bunch of great films I'd nearly forgotten off the back of this.

You folk need to watch Wings of Desire... only 2 votes :(

Interesting to see two separate John Cusack movies get a single 3rd place vote!

I wanted to put Say Anything in my top ten, but it didn't happen. I am going to watch it followed by Grosse Point Blank as a happy, albeit unofficial, double-bill though.

Say Anything is definitely one of the best 40 films of the 80s, IMO.

Gregory's Girl was my number 3. I'm glad it placed, but this means (at least) half of my picks have finished outside of the top 39.

=40 The Lost Boys (1987)

Dir: Joel Schumacher

"One thing about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach, all the damn vampires."

Jon+Hernandez+(The+Lost+Boys).jpg

The Lost Boys is a vampire action-adventure dealing with themes such as peer-pressure and running with/against the pack. Jason Patric and Corey Haim are two brothers moving into a small California town which proclaims to be the murder capital of the world. Patric falls into a bad crowd of vampire bikers lead by Keifer Sutherland. These guys are of the 'party til you die' variety. Only thing is...vampires can't die. The younger Haim befriends his own group and when they discover what is going on they set out to destroy Sutherland's crew. The film is camp in tone and while not a serious actioner/horror there are scares along the way.

You said: "Best vampire movie by a mile"

Random critic rating: 6/10 (Michael Wilmington @ Los Angeles Times)

Points - 16

Votes - 2

First Places - 0

=40 Raising Arizona (1987)

Dir: Joel Coen

"Every day we keep a child out of the world is a day he'll miss"

raising_arizona_junior.jpg

Ed (Holly Hunter) is a fertility wasteland and Hi (Nicolas Cage) is an ex-con, meaning they have no chance of having a baby together or through adoption. Ed wants a baby though. The answer? Kidnap of course. Hi seems less keen on having a baby but doesn't seem too troubled at the kidnap aspect so he goes about procuring a child to keep Ed happy. Slapstick abounds as Hi, not particulary keen to settle down takes risks aplenty as he isn't considerably worried about getting caught and failing, no baby means no responsibilty. Typical Coen fare here with exuberant camera work and distinctive dialogue throughout. Echo's of future Coen work also with The Lone Biker showing parallels with Chigurh. Would have loved to have seen this one higher but glad it has placed in the 40.

You said: "So many comedies since have incorporated elements of Raising Arizona's humour"

Random critic rating: 9/10 (Richard Corliss @ Time)

Points - 16

Votes - 2

First Places - 0

I'm going to quote every film on this list and go, 'This?! This is what was voted ahead of American Werewolf in London?!' And probably end up winning the head's gone award.

This was my list. A few that only have one vote so at least I've got good taste :rolleyes:

1. Blues Brothers - Great soundtrack and delicious nonsense. One of the all time best films ever and much quoted.
2. Airplane - As above and Shirley even more quoted.
3. Princess Bride - One of the few where the film is better than the book
4. Top Secret - From the same stable as Airplane and equally daft
5. Das Boot - Head and shoulders above every other submarine film and another rare 'better than the book' film
6. Raiders of the lost ark - swithered with this one, brilliant idea and not too fucked up by Lucas and Spielberg who have a habit of turning fantastic stories into frustrating films
7. Restless Natives - Brilliant soundtrack and great Scottish film
8. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid - One of Steve Martins good films, he's done plenty pish ones. Great parody of the genre
9. Aliens - If its not the best sequel ever made its got to be in the top 3
10. Blade Runner - Had to be included, well ahead of its time.
I've left out some classics, I must have seen Terminator about 300 times over the years and there are plenty others like Heathers and Heartbreak Ridge that ideally should have been on it. There's loads of good ones I've had to chop, damn you Christophe !!!!!

=40 The Lost Boys (1987)

Dir: Joel Schumacher

"One thing about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach, all the damn vampires."

Jon+Hernandez+(The+Lost+Boys).jpg

The Lost Boys is a vampire action-adventure dealing with themes such as peer-pressure and running with/against the pack. Jason Patric and Corey Haim are two brothers moving into a small California town which proclaims to be the murder capital of the world. Patric falls into a bad crowd of vampire bikers lead by Keifer Sutherland. These guys are of the 'party til you die' variety. Only thing is...vampires can't die. The younger Haim befriends his own group and when they discover what is going on they set out to destroy Sutherland's crew. The film is camp in tone and while not a serious actioner/horror there are scares along the way.

You said: "Best vampire movie by a mile"

Random critic rating: 6/10 (Michael Wilmington @ Los Angeles Times)

Points - 16

Votes - 2

First Places - 0

That was my number one! I demand a recount....

Gregorys Girl is a good watch but I'd put it at 4th in that group of Scottish films in the 80s.

Local Hero>Restless Natives>Comfort& Joy> Gregorys Girl.

All great films right enough ,

Haven't seen Raising Arizona so can't say but being a Coen film I imagine it's a good un.

The Lost Boys is brilliant, probably is the best vampire film I've seen,talk of a remake which i hope doesnt happen, it's a gem of its time.

You buggers need to watch Highlander again and revel in it's magnificence!!!

Can't believe I was the only person that voted for it???

Io3HRyn.gif

Archived