Stupid Names For Kids

Romeo

Was in at the local registrar's last year through work.  Got chatting about unusual names with member of staff.  They said that unless it was offensive or liable to cause the child a lifetime of hassle then pretty much anything could be an option.  To prove a point they wrote the following down and asked me what I could guess what name it was

L-a

I tried Lea, Lia, Loa Lua etc.

Apparently it is pronounced Ladasha

Edited by Sugar_Army

58 minutes ago, Tony Ferrino said:

My wife is a primary school teacher and is currently teaching a 6 year old called Carter. The parents can't have much knowledge of the early 90's indie music scene.

There were 3 or 4 between nursery and school in my lots classes.

35 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

Was in at the local registrar's last year through work.  Got chatting about unusual names with member of staff.  They said that unless it was offensive or liable to cause the child a lifetime of hassle then pretty much anything could be an option.  To prove a point they wrote the following down and asked me what I could guess what name it was

L-a

Must be at least eight years since I first heard this one

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

46 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

L-a

Not been a kid registered in Scotland with that name since at least 1974.

Found a couple of Ladas while looking, which is amusing enough.

https://scotland.shinyapps.io/nrs-baby-names/

1 hour ago, Tony Ferrino said:

My wife is a primary school teacher and is currently teaching a 6 year old called Carter. The parents can't have much knowledge of the early 90's indie music scene.

None with that name before 1975, takes a jump in popularity in 2010 and again in 2015. Weird. 

Screenshot 2020-02-27 at 20.42.52.png

On 22/02/2020 at 13:28, Hedgecutter said:

I've had dealings with a Fanni Kiss before.

Seems that Kiss is a pretty common Hungarian surname, but I'm presuming that this isn't particularly well known where she lives in SE England.

Scotland hasn't had a Fanny since 1989, but there was a Fanni in 2015. 

Imagine doing that to your kid. Might as well call them Bullyme Nomates.

On 01/12/2018 at 10:44, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

My mrs works in the NHS and encounters names like La-a, Mason,Rocket and Destiny-Jesus all the time. Im not particularly bothered if you believe me and im familiar with the snopes article however i’ve no reason to doubt my mrs.

Tons of Masons, but no La-a, Rocket or Destiny-Jesus registered in Scotland since at least 1974.

On 01/12/2018 at 14:49, Raidernation said:

When I used to do marking for the SQA I had a paper from a Skylark Starchild *last name*

No Skylarks registered in Scotland since at least 1974.

On 30/11/2018 at 11:21, Archie McSquackle said:

I'm hoping it's apocryphal but supposedly there's a child in the Greenock area called La-a. It's pronounced Ladasha according to the mother.

Nope.

On 30/11/2018 at 16:50, Bold Rover said:

Pocahontas is real. She's now about 22 and lived in Kilwinning. (Not McGinty.)

No Pocahontas registered in Scotland since at least 1974. 

On 30/11/2018 at 17:47, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

There categorically is a child in the Glasgow area with that name, my better half has met them.

There is not, at least, not that was registered in Scotland. No La-a, no Lodasha.

Why TF am I doing this??? I need the internet taken off me.

Edited by GordonS

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Must be at least eight years since I first heard this one

I have obviously been whooshed then for I believed her when she told me and my boss.  Never heard that before but I bow to your greater knowledge.  Think I should go into the registrar's tomorrow and kick her in the pie for that lol

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Tons of Masons, but no La-a, Rocket or Destiny-Jesus registered in Scotland since at least 1974.

No Skylarks registered in Scotland since at least 1974.

Nope.

No Pocahontas registered in Scotland since at least 1974. 

There is not, at least, not that was registered in Scotland. No La-a, no Lodasha.

Why TF am I doing this??? I need the internet taken off me.

The correct spelling was Le-Ah. One registered in 2010, another early 90s.

Screenshot_20200227-224859.thumb.jpg.9983800fae65dcdc6dd1f6613a76c628.jpg

45 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The correct spelling was Le-Ah. One registered in 2010, another early 90s.

Screenshot_20200227-224859.thumb.jpg.9983800fae65dcdc6dd1f6613a76c628.jpg

Actually that spelling does ring a bell but with the benefit of hindsight I was obviously being wooshed by her.  Unless she was passing it on in good faith and was being woodshed herself.

If I had heard it from some random I would have been less likely to believe it but the fact I was picking up birth certificates in a registrar's office from her made it believable.  Ya live and learn.

Edited by Sugar_Army