SNP sell Scotrail to the Dutch

drs

You voted for more of the same. You said that we are Better Together under the capitalist neo-liberal agenda of the UK rather than pursuing radical alternatives that are only on the table with independence. In essence, you shat it.

This would have happened if we voted Yes. You're embarrasing yourself here.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has nothing to do with the referendum. This would have happened irrespective of how Scotland voted on the 18th. That a poster is saying "This is what you get for voting no" is fairly revealing of the culture of greivance we will now no doubt see every time the Scottish Government take a decision that isn't popular

So why not just say that instead of hoping for some potential showboating?

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/news/new-deal-transform-rail-services

There will be a break clause for the franchise after 5 years.

For passengers -

• free wifi on all trains

• new approach to cycling with more than 3,500 parking spaces and bike-hire at a number of stations.

• 23% more carriages across the network,

• reduced fares for jobseekers,

• high-speed intercity diesel trains, with over a third more seats,

• advance fares of £5 between any two Scottish cities,

• Great Scenic Railway scheme bringing more tourists to the north, the south west and the Borders,

• major shopping developments at the stations at Aberdeen and Inverness.

For staff –

• a commitment to earnings of at least the living wage for all staff and subcontractors,

• at least 100 apprenticeships,

• guarantee of no compulsory redundancies throughout the life of the contract,

• rail staff pensions and travel rights protected,

• introduction of guaranteed trade union representation on every franchise Board meeting.

Sounds too good to be true.

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/news/new-deal-transform-rail-services

There will be a break clause for the franchise after 5 years.

For passengers -

• free wifi on all trains

• new approach to cycling with more than 3,500 parking spaces and bike-hire at a number of stations.

• 23% more carriages across the network,

• reduced fares for jobseekers,

• high-speed intercity diesel trains, with over a third more seats,

• advance fares of £5 between any two Scottish cities,

• Great Scenic Railway scheme bringing more tourists to the north, the south west and the Borders,

• major shopping developments at the stations at Aberdeen and Inverness.

For staff –

• a commitment to earnings of at least the living wage for all staff and subcontractors,

• at least 100 apprenticeships,

• guarantee of no compulsory redundancies throughout the life of the contract,

• rail staff pensions and travel rights protected,

• introduction of guaranteed trade union representation on every franchise Board meeting.

Proof that capitalism delivers, eh?

Sounds too good to be true.

I guess the question here for many will be, if this level of service is deliverable (and if it all comes to pass it sounds brilliant), then would it be feasible to deliver it by nationalising the service, and if so why was that not the decision?

I don't know anywhere near enough about it to answer that but I'd say I'm comfortable with the prospect of an improvement in service via a different vendor, as much as the ideal of nationalising the service appeals to me. If they deliver it raises a further question as to why a company based in Scotland or the UK couldn't offer the same improvements.

I guess the question here for many will be, if this level of service is deliverable (and if it all comes to pass it sounds brilliant), then would it be feasible to deliver it by nationalising the service, and if so why was that not the decision?

I don't know anywhere near enough about it to answer that but I'd say I'm comfortable with the prospect of an improvement in service via a different vendor, as much as the ideal of nationalising the service appeals to me. If they deliver it raises a further question as to why a company based in Scotland or the UK couldn't offer the same improvements.

I may be oversimplfyng things, but a nationalised service would mean profits reinvested anyway, which should mean constant improvements along these lines.#

This is a nice little earner for the dutch government as well I'd presume.

I may be oversimplfyng things, but a nationalised service would mean profits reinvested anyway, which should mean constant improvements along these lines.#

Not all rail franchises have delivered suitable returns on capital. This is the reason that they get handed back and re-tendered.

So long as the level of funding is there in the first place, I guess.

(Insert some other stuff here about politicians helping their pals fill their greedy pockets etc)

Not all rail franchises have delivered suitable returns on capital. This is the reason that they get handed back and re-tendered.

Capital? like stock and tracks? That's a matter for Network rail anyway is it not?

So long as the level of funding is there in the first place, I guess.

(Insert some other stuff here about politicians helping their pals fill their greedy pockets etc)

£2.5 billion over a decade is a fair old whack of money - ScotRail would pay their shareholders dividends in the 10s of millions each financial year. the theory would be that a nationalised service would see this cash reinvested.

You haven't seen anything that says Stagecoach didn't bid...apart from the shortlist of bidders? :lol:

I am not sure if you are being serious here or if you really don't understand a tendering process. Regardless, I would be rather embarrassed by that post.

Archived