SNP sell Scotrail to the Dutch

drs

Scottish people betrayed so soon after the referendum.

Manuel Cortes, leader of the TSSA rail union, described the the possibility of an Abellio franchise as "a slap in the face for Scots rail passengers".

He said: "Only a few weeks ago, the Scottish people were promised the power to run a publicly owned railway which would put them first, ahead of private rail firms.

"Now the Scottish government wants to hand that railway to a firm run by Dutch state railways."

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure if you are being serious here or if you really don't understand a tendering process. Regardless, I would be rather embarrassed by that post.

I'll happily admit I am no expert on this - happy to be enlightened.

Here is the Scottish Government themselves stating who the five bidders are. Note no Stagecoach

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/news/rail-franchise-plans-unveiled

I'll happily admit I am no expert on this - happy to be enlightened.

Here is the Scottish Government themselves stating who the five bidders are. Note no Stagecoach

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/news/rail-franchise-plans-unveiled

The information is actually available here http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/rail/scotrail-franchise/scotrail-franchise-renewal-programme

It states that there were only five responses to the ITT and therefore, in this case, the shortlist was 100% of the bidders.

Scottish people betrayed so soon after the referendum.

Manuel Cortes, leader of the TSSA rail union, described the the possibility of an Abellio franchise as "a slap in the face for Scots rail passengers".

He said: "Only a few weeks ago, the Scottish people were promised the power to run a publicly owned railway which would put them first, ahead of private rail firms.

"Now the Scottish government wants to hand that railway to a firm run by Dutch state railways."

Someone can look up the relevent quotes in the white paper but I must have missed the bit where we were 'promised' that the referendum would bring nationalised rail services. Something ScotGov already had the power to give.

The information is actually available here http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/rail/scotrail-franchise/scotrail-franchise-renewal-programme

It states that there were only five responses to the ITT and therefore, in this case, the shortlist was 100% of the bidders.

So, Stagecoach didn't bid?

I've never had a problem with privatising so long as it's done right. The problem with running public services as a business is that it becomes just that, leading to greed getting carried away for the sake of service.

What annoys me more than anything is the excellent East Coast will be smeared with the First Transport brush that made Scotrail such a bloody shambles in so many areas in the first place.

Surely the Scottish Greens had a hand in this too, hence the irrelevant bike parking pish?*

I vote Green in Scottish elections

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-29531099

From the BBC report:

Scottish Green co-leader Patrick Harvie, added: "There is a certain irony in the Dutch public sector running Scotland's trains, but Abellio has certainly made a strong set of promises for improving services."

"There's huge public appetite for bringing rail back into public hands, and I think it's realistic to start preparing for a public sector bid in 2020 if those powers are in our hands by that point."

Seems to be covering all opinion bases there.

In 2004 the Labour Party Conference voted by 2 to 1 in favour of TSSA motion calling on the government to take the Train Operating Companys back into public ownership as franchises expired. The policy was however immediately ruled out by the then Transport Secretary Alastair Darling :)

Proof that capitalism delivers, eh?

You offer the world when you submit a bid, then spend the duration of the contract trying to get out of the things that cost you money. It's how it's done and that's capitalism in a nutshell.

In 2004 the Labour Party Conference voted by 2 to 1 in favour of TSSA motion calling on the government to take the Train Operating Companys back into public ownership as franchises expired. The policy was however immediately ruled out by the then Transport Secretary Alastair Darling :)

Surprising.

This has nothing to do with the referendum. This would have happened irrespective of how Scotland voted on the 18th. That a poster is saying "This is what you get for voting no" is fairly revealing of the culture of greivance we will now no doubt see every time the Scottish Government take a decision that isn't popular

My team: Celtic

Personally, I would like to have seen it publically owned. What's annoying is that the east coast franchise, after a period of successful public ownership is to be handed back to privately owned franchise as well.

We can certainly trust the SNP on Transport.

It's not like they had a unanimous vote at conference on bur re-regulation, that the executive mysteriously decided to completely ignore when Brian Souter waved a large cheque in their direction.

Policies for sale.

Archived