Tartan Army - Good Guys or Wanks?

Tartan Army  

254 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a guy who grew up in Gran Canaria and then moved to Valencia. Can you even imagine how much he must have hated living in Manchester?

Yes, and I'm imagining not that much. Tens of thousands of young Spaniards have moved to the UK in the last decade (six a day to Edinburgh alone over a five year period) and a great many of them have loved it.

This is a guy who is a millionaire, it's not that hard for him to have a pretty good life wherever he is. He's not living in a council estate and drinking at The Swan and Paedo.

20 hours ago, ahemps said:

I am really going off the club game for many reasons but mainly the old firm, I just can't stand everything about them and as they are all we hear about on TV and radio I have decided I don't want any part of it anymore. 

I don't really understand this. Don't know what club you supported previously but to say you can't follow football in this country without having the OF rammed down your throat is false. They genuinely barely ever register on my radar. People in work ask me what I think about certain situations that crop up and I just shrug my shoulders. It's really easy to ignore the Old Firm, a lot of people in this country have a weird hatred for them though. I hate their bigotry and I think both clubs reek of entitlement but it doesn't consume my days, I could not give a shite about the latest scandal that consumes tabloids and I can happily let those morons point score between themselves.

What are the OF doing that puts you off supporting your own club? Seems counter-productive to me anyway. If people want the OF stranglehold over Scottish football to end then adding more support to the other clubs in the country is what we need, not abandonment of those clubs.

35 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I don't really understand this. Don't know what club you supported previously but to say you can't follow football in this country without having the OF rammed down your throat is false. They genuinely barely ever register on my radar. People in work ask me what I think about certain situations that crop up and I just shrug my shoulders. It's really easy to ignore the Old Firm, a lot of people in this country have a weird hatred for them though. I hate their bigotry and I think both clubs reek of entitlement but it doesn't consume my days, I could not give a shite about the latest scandal that consumes tabloids and I can happily let those morons point score between themselves.

What are the OF doing that puts you off supporting your own club? Seems counter-productive to me anyway. If people want the OF stranglehold over Scottish football to end then adding more support to the other clubs in the country is what we need, not abandonment of those clubs.

The last game I ever went to was against Celtic. There was a man and his 12yr old son stood the whole game with their scarfs raised shouting at us, not even watching the match and just reeking like they had some sort of superiority over us. A large section of their support were calling us **** and orange b*st*rds, which is reversed when you play the other mob. I used to find this funny when I was younger and play up to it with them but now I am an older man I just find it quite sad that it still goes on. Walking to the game I spoke to some Celtic fans who came from the same town as my team but patronizingly were saying things like 'We hope you can make it a close game today boys'. I just thought why the hell am I supporting a side that you actively don't even though it is your home town team??? It was after that game I decided  wouldn't go to another SPFL game unless things changed which I doubt ever will.

Also at a previous game and after being beaten by Celtic 3-0 some wee green brigade thug booted the side of our car as we were leaving the stadium which needed to go to a panel beater and cost us a few quid. They had won the game but still had that poison in them to act in that manner.

I was about 13yr old after a game where we had beaten rangers and I was waiting for my friends to take us home who were Rangers fans. While waiting at the car for them to return as we sat in different sections an older Rangers man was so enraged at the fact they had been beaten he had to restrain himself from leathering me even though I wasn't doing anything. It was  the sight of my colours that was annoying him.

No way can the stranglehold be broken when towns like Motherwell, Kilmarnock and  Livingston etc. have more old firm fans than their own side.

And it is rammed down our throat. On Tuesday the STV 6 o clock news, the Scotland match report was after the story about Shane Duffy signing for Celtic. Celtic signing a guy who can't get a game for Brighton is a bigger story than the national side.  How can you avoid that if you want to hear the sports news?

I just can't stand them and I manage to avoid them a bit more now but it is almost impossible to avoid them if you support a premiership league team.

All of that would be water off a ducks back for me. We stood in Ibrox and received the same abuse you describe, lighters and coins thrown at us, it was hilarious tbh. Those fannies pay 600 quid for a season ticket and just stand abusing away supporters without watching a game. 

Seems your hatred for the Old Firm is greater than the love you had for your own team. I find that a sad situation and a bit weird tbh.

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

The last game I ever went to was against Celtic. There was a man and his 12yr old son stood the whole game with their scarfs raised shouting at us, not even watching the match and just reeking like they had some sort of superiority over us. A large section of their support were calling us **** and orange b*st*rds, which is reversed when you play the other mob. I used to find this funny when I was younger and play up to it with them but now I am an older man I just find it quite sad that it still goes on. Walking to the game I spoke to some Celtic fans who came from the same town as my team but patronizingly were saying things like 'We hope you can make it a close game today boys'. I just thought why the hell am I supporting a side that you actively don't even though it is your home town team??? It was after that game I decided  wouldn't go to another SPFL game unless things changed which I doubt ever will.

Also at a previous game and after being beaten by Celtic 3-0 some wee green brigade thug booted the side of our car as we were leaving the stadium which needed to go to a panel beater and cost us a few quid. They had won the game but still had that poison in them to act in that manner.

I was about 13yr old after a game where we had beaten rangers and I was waiting for my friends to take us home who were Rangers fans. While waiting at the car for them to return as we sat in different sections an older Rangers man was so enraged at the fact they had been beaten he had to restrain himself from leathering me even though I wasn't doing anything. It was  the sight of my colours that was annoying him.

No way can the stranglehold be broken when towns like Motherwell, Kilmarnock and  Livingston etc. have more old firm fans than their own side.

And it is rammed down our throat. On Tuesday the STV 6 o clock news, the Scotland match report was after the story about Shane Duffy signing for Celtic. Celtic signing a guy who can't get a game for Brighton is a bigger story than the national side.  How can you avoid that if you want to hear the sports news?

I just can't stand them and I manage to avoid them a bit more now but it is almost impossible to avoid them if you support a premiership league team.

You can certinaly add Greenock to that list.

Think you need to chill out a bit tho mate. Theres no need to stop supporting your team.

If your not from Glasgow and your travelling to Glasgow to go and watch the oldfirm. You are one thing, a glory hunter.

Their not real fans. They pick a successful team to support to suppress their feelings of inadequacy.

All their "my da lived next to Ibrox/parkhead" doesnt fool anyone. Must have been some size of towerblock back in the day.

Im a Morton fan, when met with your typical Greenock Celtic or rangers fan attitude. It doesn't bother me. I'm supporting my home team. 

Supporting a team like Morton builds character.

Same as supporting Scotland.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

All of that would be water off a ducks back for me. We stood in Ibrox and received the same abuse you describe, lighters and coins thrown at us, it was hilarious tbh. Those fannies pay 600 quid for a season ticket and just stand abusing away supporters without watching a game. 

I just don't find that acceptable anymore, maybe when I was 18 it wouldn't bother me but not now I am a father of 2 young children. If I was in a pub where people were abusing me I'd move to the next one. I wouldn't stay there because that's 'just how it is'. Why must I continue to support Scottish football when I find a large part of it distasteful?

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Seems your hatred for the Old Firm is greater than the love you had for your own team. I find that a sad situation and a bit weird tbh.

I don't actively hate them, I don't get wound up about it anymore. I answered your question why I was put off supporting a team these days. I was slowly being put off the club football scene by the way these two clubs act and I simply wasn't enjoying it anymore, why would I continue to be emotionally involved in something I wasn't enjoying?

29 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Why must I continue to support Scottish football when I find a large part of it distasteful?

You find two clubs distasteful. If you feel they represent the majority of Scottish football then I'd have to disagree.

You're of course free to support or not support whoever you like. Just trying to understand how two clubs can push folk away from their own. 

28 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You find two clubs distasteful. If you feel they represent the majority of Scottish football then I'd have to disagree.

I find it amazing you don't think they represent the majority of Scottish football. We'll need to disagree on that then. That's fair enough.

28 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You're of course free to support or not support whoever you like. Just trying to understand how two clubs can push folk away from their own. 

You support Dumbarton, are you from Dumbarton? Are there more old firm fans in Dmbarton than Sons fans? If the answer to that is yes then these 'two clubs have pushed folk away from their own' in your town as well.

26 minutes ago, ahemps said:

You support Dumbarton, are you from Dumbarton? Are there more old firm fans in Dmbarton than Sons fans? If the answer to that is yes then these 'two clubs have pushed folk away from their own' in your town as well.

Nah, those folk were never Dumbarton fans, they've been brought up as OF glory hunters and stay that way. I've genuinely never heard of a Dumbarton fan walk away from Dumbarton because the OF get too much coverage.

There are well over 60 clubs in our pyramid now, if you want to believe The OF represent all of them then fair enough, but just because they shout the loudest doesn't mean they are representative of everyone.

5 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Yes, and I'm imagining not that much. Tens of thousands of young Spaniards have moved to the UK in the last decade (six a day to Edinburgh alone over a five year period) and a great many of them have loved it.

This is a guy who is a millionaire, it's not that hard for him to have a pretty good life wherever he is. He's not living in a council estate and drinking at The Swan and Paedo.

Aye but it would inevitably be better anywhere else on the planet other than Manchester.  He grew up in the best climate in the world, and moved to one of the worst.  That was solely for money, not cause he'd always been a fan of Niall Quinn.  Offered the same money almost anywhere else in Europe he'd have gone there instead. 

Aye but it would inevitably be better anywhere else on the planet other than Manchester.  He grew up in the best climate in the world, and moved to one of the worst.  That was solely for money, not cause he'd always been a fan of Niall Quinn.  Offered the same money almost anywhere else in Europe he'd have gone there instead. 
Your passion for hyperbole is not as admirable as you imagine.

51 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Nah that's pish.  If you are a demented follower of a club side but don't like the national side you don't like football, you just the parochial tribalism attached to it, not the game itself.

Tbf that’s almost where I’m at with it. The majority of football games are fucking boring. I love playing it but have zero interest in watching games from other leagues like the Bundesliga or Serie A that some people seem to like watching. I usually need to have some sort of stake in it to actually enjoy watching a game. A lot of the enjoyment of supporting a club side comes from going with your old man or mates who have grown up in the same town as you, getting a few pints beforehand and catching up and then getting it right up the opposition fans if you win. Some games are entertaining, but a lot of them are fucking brutal to watch.

Strange that ahemps is trying to make out that there’s no abuse at Scotland games. The Scotland Ireland game at Celtic park had a much more poisonous atmosphere than any St Johnstone game I’ve ever been at. Ireland fans in our end subjected to sectarian abuse and stuff chucked at them. 

7 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Your passion for hyperbole is not as admirable as you imagine.

Its not hyperbole its true.  Gran Canaria is generally regarded as having literally the best climate in the world. 27 degrees and sunny all year round.  Manchester is notorious for rain, cold and wind. He must have fucking HATED living there.  He did so because they paid him a lot of money.

There are virtually no clubs in Europe that could have possibly recruited him that could have offered a worse place to live.  I don't think there is one tbh. He went there, and stayed there, for the money.

9 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Tbf that’s almost where I’m at with it. The majority of football games are fucking boring. I love playing it but have zero interest in watching games from other leagues like the Bundesliga or Serie A that some people seem to like watching. I usually need to have some sort of stake in it to actually enjoy watching a game. A lot of the enjoyment of supporting a club side comes from going with your old man or mates who have grown up in the same town as you, getting a few pints beforehand and catching up and then getting it right up the opposition fans if you win. Some games are entertaining, but a lot of them are fucking brutal to watch.

Strange that ahemps is trying to make out that there’s no abuse at Scotland games. The Scotland Ireland game at Celtic park had a much more poisonous atmosphere than any St Johnstone game I’ve ever been at. Ireland fans in our end subjected to sectarian abuse and stuff chucked at them. 

I'm the complete opposite.  I have no club, so like football purely for the football. So I just go where I like the football most, which is obviously La Liga as its the best domestic football in the world. That and top internationals and the CL/EL.  Scotland I watch cause I'm Scottish.