Poland vs Scotland

It's great watching Scotland now and actually thinking we are quite good and can do something, before it was a case of 'oh shit we've got the ball let's get it howked up to Miller' now we actually play some very good stuff. Atmosphere there was sensational.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's worth pointing out that our group only has one side who finished in the top 3 of their World Cup qualifying group, while some groups have 2 sides who qualified for the tournament plus other teams who narrowly missed out. So while it's possible that our group is the hardest, it's also possible that it's just a bunch of evenly matched mediocre teams.

To call Poland, Ireland and Scotland 3 evenly matched mediocre teams is nothing short of ridiculous. Take a look at all 3 sides results against Germany so far.

To call Poland, Ireland and Scotland 3 evenly matched mediocre teams is nothing short of ridiculous. Take a look at all 3 sides results against Germany so far.

What a stupid argument.

I'd say Scotland scared the Germans and outplayed them in the second half. Neither Ireland or Poland did that. One result per team is a ridiculous comparator.

The three are fairly evenly matched.

What a stupid argument.

I'd say Scotland scared the Germans and outplayed them in the second half. Neither Ireland or Poland did that. One result per team is a ridiculous comparator.

The three are fairly evenly matched.

Evenly matched, yes, nobody denied that. Mediocre? Really?

Germany absolutely pummelled Poland and Ireland despite not beating them. Scotland possibly performed the best of the three, despite losing to them, and even then they had more chances than we did.

Trying to use one-off matches to compare the ability of teams is a complete waste of time. Over a 10 game qualifying campaign, Scotland, Poland and Ireland all fell well short of making it to Brazil. Excluding Poland's appearance as Euro 2012 hosts, the nations have one major finals appearance between them over the last three campaigns (a 12.5% success rate).

Now it's possible that all three sides have improved massively over that period. However, it is also possible that we haven't, and that we're only evenly matched because none of us are particularly brilliant. We'll probably only find that out in France.

I can't imagine us beating Gibraltar 8-0 tbh. Scotland's never been that kind of team in my experience, we'll win 3-0 or struggle and give them their only points during qualifying probably.

We beat a better side 6-0 (faroes) with a worse team than we have now

8-0 is absolutely possible

Evenly matched, yes, nobody denied that. Mediocre? Really?

Of course we're mediocre. That represents a huge improvement on what we've recently been, but if you honestly think we're better than mediocre, some crippling shocks lie ahead for you.

Germany absolutely pummelled Poland and Ireland despite not beating them.

Didn't see the Poland game but Ireland were really comfortable against Germany - they created next to f**k all. Even the goal was a long range shot that the Irish defender should have closed down.

Germany have looked dire so far. They were garbage against us and woeful against Ireland. I heard they were no better against Poland.

Of course we're mediocre. That represents a huge improvement on what we've recently been, but if you honestly think we're better than mediocre, some crippling shocks lie ahead for you.

I have watched us the last few years, we've improved to the point where I wouldn't fear us playing anyone. Mediocre is a shite word to describe us as a team, we are genuinely quite good not only results wise but performance wise too. WGS has worked wonders, if only we had a Bale or an Ibrahimovic/Gudjohnsen/Pandev/Ronaldo/Modric etc we've not had a top quality standout player that could single handedly win us games for yonks (Faddy pulled out some incredible performances but nowhere near the same level) it would be great to have that type of talisman to rely on.

Well, quite. We're still not very good. It's been a vast improvement on Levein, and the football is better to watch than the likes of Smith or McLeish, but in reality we are no better than we were under the latter two managers.

We are still odds against to finish in the top 3 in this group I'd say, which shows where we are.

Well, quite. We're still not very good. It's been a vast improvement on Levein, and the football is better to watch than the likes of Smith or McLeish, but in reality we are no better than we were under the latter two managers.

We are still odds against to finish in the top 3 in this group I'd say, which shows where we are.

In our last 12 games, we have lost only 3, against Belguim and away to England and Germany. We have beaten Croatia, Norway, Poland, Georgia and Macedonia - mostly away from home too.

We are now in the 2nd pot for the next FIFA draw and edging towards the top pot of seeds.

Odds against finishing in the top 3? Gibberish!!!

Odds against finishing in the top 3? Gibberish!!!

Eh, I don't think you understand odds.

Again, not surprisingly, as you seem a bit thick.

Scotland are 4th favourites to qualify for the Euros, from our group, behind Germany, Poland and southern Ireland.

We are expected to be 4th currently.

Scotland are 4th favourites to qualify for the Euros, from our group, behind Germany, Poland and southern Ireland.

We are expected to be 4th currently.

I'd agree with this. Granted, I don't thnk there's a great deal between Poland, Ireland and ourselves, but I still say we are the outsiders of the three to qualify behind Germany (who, let's be honest, will get their arse in gear and win the group).

I do feel though, that we will upset the odds and finish above at least one of Poland/Ireland.

Wish we had the competition for defensive places like we used to back in the day

If we did we would be going to the finals when we could afford to keep a guy like Alan Hanson at home

And take a young Craig Levein to the finals instead with mainly Scots based guys Miller McLeish Malpas Narey Gough ect

We simply do not have the same strength and depth there and that is what is holding us back

Grant Hanley for me is our one shining light there and we mist him badly in this game

And for the record Martin has also done really well but who is fighting for there jersey light in the old days?

Is the pressure the same as it used to be to get a start,when even a guy like George Burley could not make the squad to?

Wish we had the competition for defensive places like we used to back in the day

If we did we would be going to the finals when we could afford to keep a guy like Alan Hanson at home

And take a young Craig Levein to the finals instead with mainly Scots based guys Miller McLeish Malpas Narey Gough ect

We simply do not have the same strength and depth there and that is what is holding us back

Grant Hanley for me is our one shining light there and we mist him badly in this game

And for the record Martin has also done really well but who is fighting for there jersey light in the old days?

Is the pressure the same as it used to be to get a start,when even a guy like George Burley could not make the squad to?

Couldn't agree more. The problem will probably lie with grass roots football. Oh your a big lad, centre half for you. Martin has been a good find and has played well in all the games i've seen. Hanley is still early 20s and should improve further.

Danny wilson is a disappointment as he had the potential to be great. Players like Souttar might make the jump if they screw the nut.

When your best first replacement is Gordon Greer at 33 (no offence to the big guy, he's played well when called upon) then you know its slim pickings.

It's one position where youngsters might get less first team experience. A mistake at the back can cost goals where one in midfield or uptop isn't as drastic.

Couldn't agree more. The problem will probably lie with grass roots football. Oh your a big lad, centre half for you. Martin has been a good find and has played well in all the games i've seen. Hanley is still early 20s and should improve further.

Danny wilson is a disappointment as he had the potential to be great. Players like Souttar might make the jump if they screw the nut.

When your best first replacement is Gordon Greer at 33 (no offence to the big guy, he's played well when called upon) then you know its slim pickings.

It's one position where youngsters might get less first team experience. A mistake at the back can cost goals where one in midfield or uptop isn't as drastic.

Kirk Broadfoot and this is coming from a Ayr fan,but somehow Strachan does not rate him still only 30

FWIW - I think we are better than Ireland and Poland and have the better players - if so be it marginally. The best squad of players in a long while regularly playing it a high level - most coming into their primes. That alligned with a Germany side who look a shadow of their formerselves. Their is no excuse for not finishing in the top 3 here.

There was a radio discussion the other day about how there is generally a lack of top centre halfs in world football right now. They cited Vincent Kompany as someone most consider a top cb, but doesn't really stand up to past defenders. Radio debates aren't necessarily gospel, but it's a fair point: Argentina, Brazil, France, Holland all lack what you might consider 'classic' central defenders. Germany are probably in that boat too now. Perhaps it's just a reflection of recent coaching trends that are coming to the fore now?

Archived