Poland vs Scotland

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People talking about what will happen now are talking out of their arses. We've already seen how unpredictable this game can be. Germany COULD lose at Hampden and in Dublin and be in real trouble - doubtful, but still a possibility.

Who knows how many points Scotland, Ireland and Poland will take in Georgia? Poland could pump Ireland twice or vice versa!

I think we would all have taken 4 points from these 3 games, so I am happy. We now need to beat Ireland at home then take it from there. I'm optimistic.

my moneys on Ireland getting 3

My ratings

Marshall - 5.5

Looked a bit ropey all night for some reason and possibly could have done more for the second goal. Did make a cracking save late on though.

Hutton - 3

Mistakes at both goals, generally pretty poor tonight. Has done well for Scotland in the past, this must be his worst game to date.

Martin - 8

Our best player tonight and becoming one of our most important. Whether it's Hanley or Greer he is playing alongside he looks assured.

Greer - 7

Horror challenge early on that he arguably could have been sent off for. Aside from that can't think he did much wrong. I'm happy with him as third choice centre back.

Whittaker - 7

Wasn't happy with his inclusion pre-match however I don't think he did anything badly. He has a tendency to drift inside and get caught out but kept it simple and was defensively sound tonight.

Brown - 6.5

Fairly solid performance. Couple of wayward passes but did his job.

Morrison - 7

Considering he doesn't play defensive mid for his club, he has impressed me in this position. Kept it simple and got forward when he could without leaving defence exposed. Great cross for 2nd goal.

Maloney - 6.5

Composed finish for the goal. Some shocking crosses again tonight and can't think of much else he did right or wrong

Anya - 7

Fantastic control and cross for our first goal and almost did it again in second half. Tracked back and did a power of running throughout the night.

Naismith - 6.5

Did well to get in position for his goal but thought he was pretty anonymous for most of the night. Worked hard though

S.Fletcher - 7.5

Similar to Saturday, had some great touches and link up play with his midfielders. Fantastic ball to Anya for first goal and did it a few times throughout game.

Subs:

D.Fletcher - 6

Did what I expect he was told to do and help calm things down. Didn't give the ball away alot.

C.Martin - 5

Struggled to get into game given the backs to wall stuff.

Seems like one step forward and two steps back with Scotland atm. Germany might not even finish top now. No-one can call this group. Both Ireland games are must-wins.

I thought Greer played ok....am I wrong?

if so then we can dispense with Hanley?

Greer looked solid. Hanley is about the same level IMO, yet offers a decade or more of improvement and a run of consistent, long term selection - something the nat team would benefit from

Out of interest where are the Caldwell brothers? I'm sure one of them is on the MLS. Don't get me wrong I am not wanting their return, just making sure they are out of the picture.

Martin has really come onto a game at centre half and Greer was decent tonight too. I don't think Hanley is as that bad to be honest. With the Caldwell's you were constantly worrying they would make an arse of things and compound their mistakes with a red card.

Out of interest where are the Caldwell brothers? I'm sure one of them is on the MLS. Don't get me wrong I am not wanting their return, just making sure they are out of the picture.

Martin has really come onto a game at centre half and Greer was decent tonight too. I don't think Hanley is as that bad to be honest. With the Caldwell's you were constantly worrying they would make an arse of things and compound their mistakes with a red card.

Steven is at FC Toronto and Gary is getting back to fitness at Wigan. He was on the radio earlier today.

Gary was on the radio tonight. Essentially he admitted he's all but done with Scotland (training one day a week with Wigan) tho is always available if needed.

G.Caldwell has been recovering from hip surgery. Not sure he'll make it back into the Wigan team - he can't play or train very often. This his career is in its twilight years.

I'd imagine Reynolds will be alongside Greer and Berra on the bench for the next wee while.

What are the two steps back exactly?

'Seems like' was the key words that I used. It isn't, of course, but it almost feels like it is. We seem to get a brilliant result and then Ireland and Poland go and do one better by beating and drawing with Germany, respectively.

But doing it the easy way certainly doesn't come in to the equation with Scotland, ever. I'm fully confident we'll beat Ireland twice, btw.

One of the best away performances I can remember from Scotland, if not the best. Two quality strikes from them but personally I think our second was the pick of the four, two superb passes leading up to a cracking finish. The equaliser was gutwrenching, and the last ten minutes even moreso, but we've picked up a very valuable and impressive away point. Poland and Ireland have obviously picked up great results for themselves so far, but the most important games are still to come. Having a competent manager who isn't scared to show faith in his team and imagine ways for us to score goals is such a breath of fresh air, and I can't see us blowing it for ourselves in our two encounters with Ireland with Strachan in charge. I'm still very confident in us taking 3rd place.

By the way, how good does it feel going into away games against the likes of Poland without it being a nailed on certainty that you're going to see a joyless 2-0 defeat? I can't remember ever feeling that way under previous managers. Even Smith and McLeish.

By the way, how good does it feel going into away games against the likes of Poland without it being a nailed on certainty that you're going to see a joyless 2-0 defeat? I can't remember ever feeling that way under previous managers. Even Smith and McLeish.

Well said

Spot on.

Archived