Neil Lennon

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given that most of the Celtic fans I know agree he left because they wouldn't give him any money to spend, is it not strange to then join a club who are a reported £160m in debt?

I think more specifically the reason he left was that he wasn't going to get enough money to improve on his 'achievements', so basically there was no point in staying as he had achieved all he had and could only really go backwards - which would make him less attractive to other clubs.

I think Bolton are about as good as he can get, if you stay ouy of work for more than 6 months you risk becoming yesterday's news, at some point he had to just take a chance.

He was never going to get a Premiership job - or at least not one that wasn't scrapping for relegation. I'm in the minority in that I think he comes across well when not directly involved in the game, and of all the MOTD mediocrities he's the most intelligent and informative. There's virtually nothing from his time in charge at Celtic however to suggest that he's a good manager. Reaching the last 16 was an achievement, domestically he was a failure though, his cup record was abysmal, especially given the state of Rangers.

Will be interesting to see how he does, particularly as Bolton are f**ked financially.

Fully agree.

He comes across much better than I expected and I've actually enjoyed his commentaries on 5Live and the like.

Tough job for him - and has been mentioned this is pretty much make or break time for him. After the shit he had to put up with up here I actually hope he gets on well down there.

Yes he brought a lot of the nonsense on himself - but the level of abuse he took is quite simply unacceptable.

Fully agree.

He comes across much better than I expected and I've actually enjoyed his commentaries on 5Live and the like.

Tough job for him - and has been mentioned this is pretty much make or break time for him. After the shit he had to put up with up here I actually hope he gets on well down there.

Yes he brought a lot of the nonsense on himself - but the level of abuse he took is quite simply unacceptable.

This. Lennon is no worse than any of the other gobshites that have managed in Scottish football. The level of seethe that he generated was out of all proportion. I actually really like him when he's doing punditry---he's normally pretty insightful and interesting to listen to.

Will be interested to see how he does down there. His record at Celtic is dubious at best, but the European runs suggest there's a competent manager in there somewhere and he might cope better with the off-field pressures because they won't be anything like as nuts as they were up here.

He was never going to get a Premiership job - or at least not one that wasn't scrapping for relegation. I'm in the minority in that I think he comes across well when not directly involved in the game, and of all the MOTD mediocrities he's the most intelligent and informative. There's virtually nothing from his time in charge at Celtic however to suggest that he's a good manager. Reaching the last 16 was an achievement, domestically he was a failure though, his cup record was abysmal, especially given the state of Rangers.

Will be interesting to see how he does, particularly as Bolton are f**ked financially.

You're not in the minority at all. Most here recognise that off the pitch, in a media role or non footballing, he comes across very well. He was just completely ungracious in defeat and turned into a snarling cock whenever he was in the dugout.

As RandomGuy has stated, this job is truly what will define him as a manager. The Bolton job looks exceptionally difficult and unsure they will be able to pull in any decent players. Man management and getting the best out of a pretty guff squad is the key here.

Tbf to Lennon I think he actively tried to instill a "them against us" nature into his Celtic squad to try and motivate them against the "diddy" sides. So he almost went hunting for evidence to show his players that everyone hated them

Doesn't need to do much hunting tbf.

It was maybe the wrong word tbh, I meant he acted in such a way that he could draw a reaction from others and use that reaction as motivation

Archived