Scotland v Republic of Ireland

Lyle Lanley

Does Mulgrew really have to play? His set-piece ability is an obvious asset but I don't believe it is worth dislodging either Morrison or Robertson to accommodate it, who are superior players in their position. The only other option would be to put him in in place of Maloney with Morrison pushing out wide, but that moves Morrison from his preferred position and leaves us a bit short going forward.

The Morrison-Brown partnership has looked promising in the past couple of games, and Mulgrew is paying the price for his silly sending off against Germany.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Morrison-Brown partnership has looked promising in the past couple of games, and Mulgrew is paying the price for his silly sending off against Germany.

Yeah exactly. I don't think there's any real chance of WGS breaking up that Brown/Morrison partnership in central midfield.

IMO this is a game where big game experience will be a factor. Its going to be a hell of an atmosphere and calm heads will be an asset. I am a fan of Robertson, but I hope and think Mulgrew will start in his place tomorrow.

A win would be bloody lovely.

I keep telling myself I don't care for the National team too much anymore but I want these Irish pumped tomorrow.

Same. Wasn't that fussed for the recent games against England and Germany. But I really, really want Scotland to destroy South Ireland tomorrow night.

Much has been made of this in recent days. the reality is that ireland are not much different from other diddy wee nations who cant afford to be picky about who qualifies for nationality. what anoys me is that 1 ireland actively seek out foreign players like mccarthy at a young age when they should be trying to improve the quality of players in ireland. and 2 mcgeady has clearly went down the celtic / irish west coast pish road . theres something infuriating in that video with his dad talking in his weegie accent saying" we've always considered ourselves irish" it perpetuates sectarianism this attatude and p***ks like george galloway need to f**k up.

Anyway thats the last i want to talk about nationality. ive a feeling ireland are going to come and try to hit us on the counter attack becuase we are pish at defending such plays, same with set pieces . i think we are going to dominate the game but fail to take our chances and end up losing 1 or 2 nil. i think it could be a night of missed chances and what ifs for scotland. hope to f**k im wrong tho

I can understand folk wanting Mulgrew in for the set pieces. Past few games Maloney has taken our corners/freekicks and, particularly in the Georgia game, they were stinking. Barely ever made it past the first man (my absolute pet hate in football).

I can understand folk wanting Mulgrew in for the set pieces. Past few games Maloney has taken our corners/freekicks and, particularly in the Georgia game, they were stinking. Barely ever made it past the first man (my absolute pet hate in football).

Aye weve been shite fae corners for a long time, big McManus was usually good for a goal from Hartley set peices but not looked threatening in a while, last corner goal I remember was Hanleys v Wales and then before that Fletcher/Broadfoot v Iceland?

Any I am forgetting?

Edited by 1320Lichtie

He's more experienced and more defensive than Robertson. Plus he's playing at home and his set pieces could be a factor. When up against McGeady and Coleman on the right - which seems to be the strongest area of the Irish team - it's the more prudent move.

That's the only position that's up for debate IMO. The rest of the team picks itself.

More defensively minded, but not a better defender IMO. The most prudent thing to do when considering Ireland's attacking threat down our left is to put our best left back there, and that's Robertson.

I'd like to see Morrison moved forward to play behind Naismith with Mulgrew beside Brown, but I expect Steven Fletcher to start.

Edited by Dunning1874

I went from being someone not particularly interested in the North British football team anymore, to practically renewing my travel club membership in the process of reading Galloway's guff. What a complete welt.

Then I read this thread and the thought of most of the seethers on here greeting about Ireland winning returned me to pretty much neutrality.

Tbh I'm just enjoying the hostility. Governing bodies, players, fans, assistant managers. Literally everyone raging at someone else. Glorious.

Gk: Marshall or Gordon

RB:Whittaker

CB:Martin

CB:Hanley

Lb:Robertson

LDM:Mulgrew

RDM:Brown

LAM:Anya

CAM:Morrison

RAM:Naismith

CF:S.Fletcher

Mulgrew can cover either the LB or LAM going forward so we are pretty much sorted that side, I honestly can't see why there's a debate about this.

I'm actually more worried about McClean on the opposite side, that's where most of Ireland's joy will be found IMP

Aye weve been shite fae corners for a long time, big McManus was usually good for a goal from Hartley set peices but not looked threatening in a while, last corner goal I remember was Hanleys v Wales and then before that Fletcher/Broadfoot v Iceland?

Any I am forgetting?

Caldwell against Holland? Was disallowed but i still consider it a legitimate goal.

Lex has stated repeatedly he isn't interested in the Scottish national side, or even actively dislikes them.

Given this, I'm not surprised he is pushing for Mulgrew to start ahead of Robertson at full back.

Delighted that McCarthy is out of this game. Hope McGeady follows them. Hardly fair to use Scottish players against us.

Lex has stated repeatedly he isn't interested in the Scottish national side, or even actively dislikes them.

Given this, I'm not surprised he is pushing for Mulgrew to start ahead of Robertson at full back.

Delighted that McCarthy is out of this game. Hope McGeady follows them. Hardly fair to use Scottish players against us.

He spent the first game of the campaign live posting the match, trying a bit too much to get it out there how much he cares about the team. Presumably as some kind of trolling exercise in response to people saying they couldn't support Scotland whilst No-voting Hamish types had the temerity to support them too.

Then by the time it became clear than 99.9% of people were supporting Scotland just as before, he went back to slagging them off. A truly desperate character.

Left it too late before deciding i was going and not finding any luck finding spares, could anyone recommend my chances of getting a ticket if i head to Glasgow for about half 3? Most people saying to just go for it but i might get ripped off or even worse not get one and make a wasted journey

I've went to a good few Scotland games home and away without a ticket but I've always managed to get one. I'd head down to the ground ( normally Hampden ) about 1 hour before kick off and always find someone outside the ground selling a ticket for face value. I have never been ripped off. Even if someone tries to charge you extra tell them to bolt.

He spent the first game of the campaign live posting the match, trying a bit too much to get it out there how much he cares about the team. Presumably as some kind of trolling exercise in response to people saying they couldn't support Scotland whilst No-voting Hamish types had the temerity to support them too.

Then by the time it became clear than 99.9% of people were supporting Scotland just as before, he went back to slagging them off. A truly desperate character.

I think anyone who mixes politics and football is a moron.

That will be you then :)

More defensively minded, but not a better defender IMO. The most prudent thing to do when considering Ireland's attacking threat down our left is to put our best left back there, and that's Robertson.

I'd like to see Morrison moved forward to play behind Naismith with Mulgrew beside Brown, but I expect Steven Fletcher to start.

Starchan clearly has reservations about Robertson's defensive prowess. That's why he started him at home against Georgia where we'd not be doing much defending, but dropped him for Warsaw when we would be. He chose Whittaker to play out of position at LB instead of playing Robertson in his natural one.

Like I said I do like Robertson and I fully expect him to be our long term left back. Don't think tomorrow is for him though, and knowing what Strachan is like as a manager I think he will agree.

As has been mentioned Charlie's set pieces will be a huge improvement on Maloney's from last time out, and tomorrow will be a game with plenty of free kicks and corners.

I think the only changes from Warsaw will be Mulgrew for Hutton and Hanley for Greer.

Edited by Lex