The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

6 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

RNLI have warned about not going near Cliffs. Thanks guys, would never have dreamt of getting with 100 miles of him in the first place.

I get your point but don’t be surprised by someone getting hurt or seriously injured by doing something monumentally stupid during this storm.

All helicopters grounded from Aberdeen airport, which means after 10 (ten) weeks off work, it looks like I'll be getting another day or two off.  Long may this storm continue.

ETA... Looking out from the safety of my hotel room in Dyce, I can see that a small tree and a lamppost have fallen over.  Can't be too bad though, as there are still some smokers huddled outside the main entrance getting their nicotine intake.

ETA (II)... Just received confirmation that there will be no flying offshore from Aberdeen tomorrow, so that is another day off work for me.  Long may storm Babet continue to wreak it's destruction. 

Edited by MONKMAN

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I get your point but don’t be surprised by someone getting hurt or seriously injured by doing something monumentally stupid during this storm.

Why, is it going to hit Florida?

57 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Scotrail are absolute pussies these days.  Not risking anything for a gust of wind or an inch of rain.

Not sure Scotrail can do much when Network rail order the railway to shut.

1 hour ago, superbigal said:

The Tay Road Bridge has not been closed today, and it normally only needs someone to Fart.

Scotrail are absolute pussies these days.  Not risking anything for a gust of wind or an inch of rain.

I'm not sure if you are being serious or not, but three folk lost their lives on an almost empty train three years ago, due to utter incompetence during dangerous weather. 

1 hour ago, superbigal said:

The Tay Road Bridge has not been closed today, and it normally only needs someone to Fart.

It is only a couple of years since a track got destabilised by a landslip caused by heavy rain, they ran the trains anyway and people were killed.

fucksake @Cosmic Joe!  

Edited by coprolite

5 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I'm not sure if you are being serious or not, but three folk lost their lives on an almost empty train three years ago, due to utter incompetence during dangerous weather. 

Network rail's drainage works just didn't work as they ought to have and they didn't have adequately trained staff. Far more into negligence than incompetence on the part of Network rail.

Lack of long term planning and budget cuts in part to blame but it really doesn't help when there is a constant reshuffle, look at the Secretary of State in charge during the crash, he is now the defence secretary having been in 3 other posts since being transport secretary in 2022. Mental.

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

It is only a couple of years since a track got destabilised by a landslip caused by heavy rain, they ran the trains anyway and people were killed.

fucksake @Cosmic Joe!  

Should we shut all regional roads whenever the weather matches up with a previous, fatal accident in the area? 

The Helen Lovejoy approach doesn't actually make sense when evaluating overall risk. 

18 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Older loon from our supporters club on Sky News earlier saying he was going to stay at home.  "Seen this before", "should be gone tomorrow"

:unsure:

Meanwhile, I thankfully took dibs on walking the dog earlier on before the wind picked up.  I suspect my other half might be on the news later:

tumblr_n2h3atuXWA1qc8jh0o2_500.gif