The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

18 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Whats the script here though, do they put you up in a hotel somewhere if you've nowhere to go? 

The elderly and vulnerable are being put up in hotels. Everyone else is being told take a sleeping bag and or blankets and head for the rest centres which are community centres, leisure centres and the like. 

It is mad that people are refusing to leave their homes. There is f**k all they can do about the flooding and if their house does get flooded they are better off out of it than in it. I mean, what are they going to do in the morning. Stick the baffies on and head down stairs and make a cup of tea in 2 feet of water. Oh that's right, the electric will likely be knackered, heating probably goosed too but then it'll be everyone else's fault when they are freezing cold and can't go downstairs. I get its a wrench to leave the house but when there's literally nothing you can do about it, I don't see the benefit of staying at home. 

16 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I don't mean to make light of it, but I never understand why so many people get swept away by rivers in storms.  Why are they near a torrent in a storm and can't they see it getting bigger?

Trying to get a dog walk in before things get worse and the dog goes in? Who knows.

4 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I don't mean to make light of it, but I never understand why so many people get swept away by rivers in storms.  Why are they near a torrent in a storm and can't they see it getting bigger?

Seriously underestimating the power of water.  Three inches is enough to knock you off your feet. 

That was shown in a BBC program called "Extreme Weather". IIRC