The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

According to the Met Office today for us in Scotland its late afternoon, evening and right through until midnight. Throughout today main focus will be on the storm system now reaching up into Southern England from France.

Right now there are a few showers out over the west Highlands and Western Isles, one or two were giving off lightning a couple of hours ago and that cluster of thundery showers that crossed through Scotland last night and the early hours is now out in the North Sea 100 miles or so north-east of Wick and Aberdeen.

Plenty happening last night, no idea yet if we had thunder and lightning in Inverness in the early hours (slept right through until 7). Aberdeen could be the place to be today being the warmest place in Scotland could fuel some major stormage. I read they had a good TS over there at about 2am last night which lasted nearly an hour.

Some brilliant stuff in Aberdeen during the wee hours, comparable to stuff I'd only ever seen abroad. I ended up watching sheet /forked lightning from the window for about 15 mins. Went back to bed and could still 'see' the whole room illuminate even with my eyes closed. Strangely very little noise though (sound proofed windows though) - estimated to be around 5 miles away given the thunder delay, which made it much better not worrying about anything of mine getting zapped.

Blue skies all around just now though. :)

Edited by Hedgecutter

According to the Met Office today for us in Scotland its late afternoon, evening and right through until midnight. Throughout today main focus will be on the storm system now reaching up into Southern England from France.

Right now there are a few showers out over the west Highlands and Western Isles, one or two were giving off lightning a couple of hours ago and that cluster of thundery showers that crossed through Scotland last night and the early hours is now out in the North Sea 100 miles or so north-east of Wick and Aberdeen.

Plenty happening last night, no idea yet if we had thunder and lightning in Inverness in the early hours (slept right through until 7). Aberdeen could be the place to be today being the warmest place in Scotland could fuel some major stormage. I read they had a good TS over there at about 2am last night which lasted nearly an hour.

Excellent stuff Dave. Keep the reports coming

Some brilliant stuff in Aberdeen during the wee hours, comparable to stuff I'd only ever seen abroad. I ended up watching sheet /forked lightning from the window for about 15 mins. Went back to bed and could still 'see' the whole room illuminate even with my eyes closed. Strangely very little noise though (sound proofed windows though) - estimated to be around 5 miles away given the thunder delay, which made it much better not worrying about anything of mine getting zapped.

Blue skies all around just now though. :)

Scary thought of the day. :lol: Lightning can travel 10 miles (16km) away from the actual storm. Many a golfer has made that mistake thinking the storm is too far away, 'there's plenty of time'. The rule is 'If you can hear the thunder, you are at risk'.

Yesterday I was watching lightning almost right above me and it took about 5 seconds to hear the thunder from it.

Edited by CityDave

I live on the other side of Arthur's Seat from that photo- I thought the hill was getting zapped quite a bit watching the flashes of lightning from the kitchen window.

There were some good flashes to the south of the house- might have been the towerblocks at Craigmillar were getting it, I wasn't sure. The storm had the peacocks at Prestonfield House upset- they were mewing away.

It was good to watch- free entertainment. My one thought was "I hope this isn't an omen for an England football team getting to a World Cup Final" but fortunately Japan won..

Showing up a strike near Denny.

A few isolated showers about some not showing precipitation on the radar, but this one (Denny) giving off the atmospheric static (sferics) that show up on lightning detectors.

Very humid in Inverness, my indoor weather station has outside temperature at 26.6c. Hoping for a storm this evening for entertainment but also to shift this heat.

As much as I like trying to get a spectacular photo I'm not particularly sure I'd be standing on Portobello Beach in the middle of a thunderstorm waiting for a good shot..

... it might be dangerous considering the tinfoil hat I'm always wearing to stop them reading my thoughts...

The east side of this rain band looks more interesting, from Lincoln up to Edinburgh storm cells appearing but the rest of it, meh nothing. Air is cooling with this cold front going through so a bit of relief for some tonight getting some sleep.

Many of the forecasters looking forward to tomorrow to see what happens, Wales, the south west of England and the south east of England, no mention of Scotland.

Still waiting to see what will happen this evening, might still be good for night time storms. See what builds.

Below video of the golf ball size hail from the storm that went through Swaledale, Yorkshire Dales yesterday and the damage it caused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRT-u3pMAes

Link to live cam from Arnham. Nice and clear pictures and absolutely chucking it down. https://webcam.nl/a325_gelredome/

The Netherlands had been hitting 500 lightning strikes per min . :huh:http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime

The UK nil.

Edited by CityDave

The east side of this rain band looks more interesting, from Lincoln up to Edinburgh storm cells appearing but the rest of it, meh nothing. Air is cooling with this cold front going through so a bit of relief for some tonight getting some sleep.

Many of the forecasters looking forward to tomorrow to see what happens, Wales, the south west of England and the south east of England, no mention of Scotland.

Still waiting to see what will happen this evening, might still be good for night time storms. See what builds.

Below video of the golf ball size hail from the storm that went through Swaledale, Yorkshire Dales yesterday and the damage it caused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRT-u3pMAes

did anyone else think of the opening scenes in Flash Gordon watching that? Only Dr Hans Zarkoff, lately of NASA, has provided any explanation for these phenonema...

post-12982-0-97775900-1435878188.jpg