The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'm seeing as a new additional red warning for the same area.

image.png.782f34464f80f2c0cb5317d3e6705159.png

Sky News now going for the 'Break-in' pronunciation I see.

Aye crazy, not had a rain storm like this for a very long time.

Apparently the Brechin flood defences were built to stand up to anything other than a once in 200 year flood event. 

On 19/10/2023 at 08:34, Musketeer Gripweed said:

See these stay at home warnings that we seem to get on a regular basis these days, does the Met Office think all our employers are soft in the head, or do they think everyone works for a local council?

That's lasted well. Two people, so far, in Angus dead because they didn't stay at home.

30 minutes ago, RH33 said:

This eejit tops the other eejit for not only not evacuating but trying to drive through flood water.

It puts other people who have to come and get them lives at risk. 

Screenshot_20231020-115756.png

Exhibit C

I'm fairly sure I'll run out of letters by the end of the weekend. 

Edited by 10menwent2mow

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I know folk have obviously stayed when they shouldn't have but the number of abandoned cars in these pictures and videos is mental. Are they just intentionally leaving cars out in the hope insurance buys them a new one? 

And everyone's premiums go up, well not mine as I don't have a car. 

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Looking like the Marykirk option is open for crossing the North Esk, even if it's shut the A92 at North Water Bridge (nr Montrose).  Should be a way around without too much added milage for the determined?

(unless you're a lorry driver)

An hour ago the road into Marykirk was closed at the bridge coming in from Montrose and the bridge at North Water Bridge has been closed since yesterday. 

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I know folk have obviously stayed when they shouldn't have but the number of abandoned cars in these pictures and videos is mental. Are they just intentionally leaving cars out in the hope insurance buys them a new one? 

Families with more than one car just evacuating in one car?

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Are most of them not just parked outside their own homes? Has there been advice that people should move their cars to higher streets? I think it's just one of those things in these circumstances. 

Yesterday the Met Office was certainly not panicking, their rivals in accurate weather prediction The Daily Express took full advantage of the situation to inform their readers in their usual calm manner using their interpretation of the Met Office map of Scotland without the zoom in button to provide reassurance to the Scottish public that there is absolutely nothing to worry about. 

image.jpeg.aa12445aee911cd4c2d3cbd56b20af5f.jpeg

Then others on social media started getting in on the act.

image.png.eb158b18d8c81175c06f80f5374be875.png

image.png.590087e34239e9cf7f469c4499fbac27.png

image.jpeg.25cfbb49afb2cee06ad270b160c13bfc.jpeg