The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

Of all the day for the fucking binmen to miss mine out (and my neighbour's) they choose today. Wee lassie on the phone at the council told me to put them back out and another lorry would be along at the end of their shift. No real surprise when no-one showed and their contents were blown down the street in seconds.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thursday night here in Denmark was the worst lightning I've ever experienced. You could hear the lightning rip through the sky before it hit like someone tearing a cotton sheet in half. Walking through a field on my way back from the train station one strike hit about 250m from me and I fucking shat it. It continued all night and I could barely sleep. 

It was as if the UK really was being rent from the rest of Europe. I've never experienced such power in nature.

• 4 weeks later...

Intense lightning going on Inverness - Aberdeen at the moment.

You can see current lightning on the link below.  More should be arriving at Central Belt area around 7 - 9am.  Looks like a fecking monsoon with lightning due in.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/rainfall-radar#?map=Lightning&fcTime=1468947600&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.45

Edited by FlyerTon

Thunder cloud went by the the house sparking lightning but no rain until just now. Bit more spectacular up north. From Croy in the Highlands. 

FB_IMG_1468996385060.jpg

Am I right in thinking that if you count from when you see lightning, to when you hear thunder, that is how far away in miles approximately the eye of the storm is? Or is that an urban myth?