The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

Last night's storm over the Clyde - That must have been amazing and yet annoying if you needed to get your head down with having to get up for work in a few hours. Doesn't seem to be as many night time storms in recent years as there used to be.

Edited by CityDave

• 1 month later...

These maps showing the sea ice and large snowfalls are a good indicator to how far away the snow is from us and when we could expect winter to arrive. I'll put another one of these up in a month's time and see the difference.

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Right now the eyes are watching the Atlantic for the first of these autumn storms to reach us with some bite. So far its just low pressure systems and troughs like the one across Northern Scotland.

The Met Office have given yellow warnings for strong winds across most of Scotland for Thursday.

Met Office still has this yellow warnings for strong winds across the country. Up here in Inverness its just soaking wet with a slight breeze.

Do the Met Office do warnings for low flying broken yellow seats? Maybe you need to be down wind for that.

• 2 months later...

1 hour ago, shootingboots said:

Anyone on here familiar with the crossings from Cairnryan to Northern Ireland and the likelihood of it being cancelled on Friday afternoon/evening?

I'm in the same boat, so to speak. Hoping to travel on the Friday night, so fingers crossed the worst of the storm passes further north 

2 hours ago, endieinreekie said:

I'm in the same boat, so to speak. Hoping to travel on the Friday night, so fingers crossed the worst of the storm passes further north 

Looking at gusts of 50-60 mph for Stranraer area on Friday.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcu2mdydb#?searchLocation=Cairnryan&fcTime=1482451200

3 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It looks like I'll be ok for getting the train up to Dingwall this evening. I'm starting to get the fear about being stuck there if the 10.55pm train back is cancelled though.

There's a few buses. Not sure what happens if the bridge is closed though, cancel or go via Beauly? Grant Street is having a pitch inspection about now, if it's postponed I might be tempted by the County game.