The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

8 hours ago, throbber said:

Why would you use that method if that's not how fast sound travels?

Sound travels faster when it's coming down the way. Gravity.

never noticed how it's easier to shout down to your pals from a multi-storey than it is for them to shout up?

Edited by NewBornBairn

never noticed how it's easier to shout down to your pals from a multi-storey than it is for them to shout up?

I don't have any pals and even if I did I wouldn't be shouting at then from a multi storey.

Suspect in 3 Aberdeen deaths IMO.

24 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

What the f**k was that in Dundee's leafy west end? Just spent 20 minutes defending my grandads front door with a brush and the contents of blue bin after water started pouring into porch.

He said that hasn't happened in the 70 years he has lived there.

The brush I understand, but why were you also using the bin contents to try and keep the water out?

;-)

10 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

The brush I understand, but why were you also using the bin contents to try and keep the water out?

;-)

The Blue Bin is where one keeps their Couriers, Telegraphs and various Sundays.

It's like a sandbag for Dundee Tories.

Lightning travels almost instantly and sound travels at 333m/s so you can do the maths from there on if you want it in km or miles.

I was working this out with the other half at the time and said "don't worry, that's a good couple of miles away". Immediately after I said that, a huge flash lit up the room with a roar of thunder less than a second later, the sound of what I'd imagine a plane flying just over your roof would sound like. A face of shock & terror would have described her expression quite well.

• 2 weeks later...

An absolutely batshit mental, severe thunderstorm is moving through the Clyde Riviera at the moment for no apparent reason. At least a hundred claps of thunder in the last half hour, hailstones and torrential rain.

Corker of a storm. Been regular flashes of lighting and claps of thunder for at least the past half hour. Big ones too. Isnt moving through at any kind of speed. Tv is down so im guessing that the Milburn Muir transmitter took a hit. Had a spell of about 15 minutes of torrential rain. Pretty cool to listen to and it'll hopefully freshen things up.

2 hours ago, SuperTon said:

Aye storm just woke me up from what was a fairly enjoyable kip, mental storm with flashes of lightening & grumbles of thunder every few seconds.

Same here, around 2am,  the clap of thunder that woke me up was extremely loud - am I still in a dream I thought then I looked outside and it was like a monsoon with loads of lightning.

Edit to add: Rainfall radar from 2:15am showing >32mm per hour of rain (downpour level, white on the radar - the heaviest)

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/rainfall-radar#?map=Rainfall&fcTime=1470143700&zoom=8&lon=-4.28&lat=55.99

Edited by FlyerTon