Dumbarton v Rangers

Its the potential for trouble... Yesterday was actually pretty calm other than a handful of verbals. However had the game not gone the way of Rangers....?

Picture it like this. The game is 1-1 with 5 minutes to go when Rangers/Us get a very soft penalty which is scored. The amount of anger and triumphalism would not mix well.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have thought Alan Findlay should know just how unhappy some fans were with the abuse of segregation yesterday. Therefore making his email available just makes this easier. There are a number of Directors with an email icon next to their name ; http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/management/ That said it wouldn't take a great degree of effort to look at club website where email icons are attached to a number of Directors names. Do you diasgree with the notion that fans should email club directors or just that I have posted online?

Your token suggestion is certainly an option which could be explored. Something needs to be done and theres lots of time before next league game in April... Fan safety is paramount, don't you think? If it is as you suggest that there is not way of stopping Rangers fans getting tickets then stewards and/or police must eject them once their identity is known. Many were wearing club colours indeed I saw a few with RSC tops.

As for giving tickets to third parties to distribute. As the third party would be selected and approved by club then they would be bound to ensure terms were adhered to. There is much less control over joe bloggs in a grey suit marching up to bet butler on a wednesday morning and buying 2 tickets for home end.

The scenario I suggest is just the sort in which trouble breaks out. Why is it that you think away fans should be tolerated in home support areas. Baffling...

I disagree with the notion that you actively share someone else's address and try to create some sort of flashmob-type campaign into this other individuals' inbox. if you had given your own contact details, encouraged others to use it and share your feelings, and then took them all forward as a collective document, I'd've had no issues with that.

Yes, fan safety is paramount, I never said it wasn't. All fans, not just home fans. That's where good policing and stewarding comes in. And that's what's behind a lot of the recent decisions and policies that has upset a few of our fellow Sons fans.

Some third parties will value the chance to distribute tickets, and will make sure they do it properly, yes, in the hope that they get more. Others won't give a flying one though, and will just sell/distribute to anyone.

Why should away fans NOT be tolerated? I know you're new here, but if you read back through our match threads, there's plenty of evidence of people enjoying pints and chats before, during and after matches, both home and away. I spent years going to Boghead and many away grounds where fans mingled and swapped ends at half time - I've never been involved in a bit of bother, certainly not physically. There can be exchanges of views cerainly, but it's just verbals, so what? Why should fans not be able to mingle? Most humans manage to exist beside other humans, even in heightened emotional situations like football matches. Yes, there are people out there you wouldn't want to be close to if you can help it - there are Sons fans that you wouldn't sit near either, given the choice. By sheer proportions though, we have less as we have a smaller support.

Good management of the entire crowd is what matters, not having big areas of empty seats (and therefore lost income) because we'd rather sell to nobody than Sons fans only. As said before, there is no reason to not admit an away fan to the ground if they're behaving themselves. By all means turf out anyone being a wido and risking fan safety, and that includes any Sons fans being dicks.

ETA - Alan will be well aware of the feelings of the fans, you don't have to flood his inbox to tell him. He'll be much more aware of the mood than you even are.

I disagree with the notion that you actively share someone else's address and try to create some sort of flashmob-type campaign into this other individuals' inbox. if you had given your own contact details, encouraged others to use it and share your feelings, and then took them all forward as a collective document, I'd've had no issues with that.

Yes, fan safety is paramount, I never said it wasn't. All fans, not just home fans. That's where good policing and stewarding comes in. And that's what's behind a lot of the recent decisions and policies that has upset a few of our fellow Sons fans.

Some third parties will value the chance to distribute tickets, and will make sure they do it properly, yes, in the hope that they get more. Others won't give a flying one though, and will just sell/distribute to anyone.

Why should away fans NOT be tolerated? I know you're new here, but if you read back through our match threads, there's plenty of evidence of people enjoying pints and chats before, during and after matches, both home and away. I spent years going to Boghead and many away grounds where fans mingled and swapped ends at half time - I've never been involved in a bit of bother, certainly not physically. There can be exchanges of views cerainly, but it's just verbals, so what? Why should fans not be able to mingle? Most humans manage to exist beside other humans, even in heightened emotional situations like football matches. Yes, there are people out there you wouldn't want to be close to if you can help it - there are Sons fans that you wouldn't sit near either, given the choice. By sheer proportions though, we have less as we have a smaller support.

Good management of the entire crowd is what matters, not having big areas of empty seats (and therefore lost income) because we'd rather sell to nobody than Sons fans only. As said before, there is no reason to not admit an away fan to the ground if they're behaving themselves. By all means turf out anyone being a wido and risking fan safety, and that includes any Sons fans being dicks.

ETA - Alan will be well aware of the feelings of the fans, you don't have to flood his inbox to tell him. He'll be much more aware of the mood than you even are.

Fair enough. I look forward to receiving a reply from Alan. Im not convinced Scottish football fans should be allowed to mingle especially those with a history of hooliganism (eg Manchester) It was 'just verbals' yesterday. The game went their way though they were lippy even as their thrid goal went in. As a matter of interest how close to them were you sitting? As for 'turfing' them out.. Do you want to be the steward with that task?

Aye, the guy with the camera should surely at least have had it confiscated? Firstly, I believe you're not meant to film games. I'm aware that phones can hardly be taken off you but a camera is a bit different. Secondly, filming the home fans without any permission, also in an attempt to wind us up as it was after a Rangers goal, is not on.

Why is there any need for that? Still can't understand how so many got away with sitting there shouting nonsense like 'sons of William' etc...

Aye, the guy with the camera should surely at least have had it confiscated? Firstly, I believe you're not meant to film games. I'm aware that phones can hardly be taken off you but a camera is a bit different. Secondly, filming the home fans without any permission, also in an attempt to wind us up as it was after a Rangers goal, is not on.

:lol:

Too far!!!

So if I was in the Rangers end at Ibrox and Dumbarton scored, I take out a camera and start filming the home fans whilst giving several hand signals etc, I'd just be left to it? Don't think so.

Depending on the types around you, you'd probably get a sore face aswell as your camera taken.

So if I was in the Rangers end at Ibrox and Dumbarton scored, I take out a camera and start filming the home fans whilst giving several hand signals etc, I'd just be left to it? Don't think so.

Last season a drunken Arbroath fan was lost in the Copland Road end and we helped him find his seat and he had a great time. I cant remember the result but i do remember him trying to explain he was a Rangers supporter...If only he had remembered to take off the Arbroath scarf we might have believed him. I am pretty sure they scored in that game.

You are making a helluva lot of assumptions based on absolutely nothing. I ll tell you something else...I found the whole Arbroath fan thing funny and it never even crossed my mind to rush home and come on here to complain about it.

Last season a drunken Arbroath fan was lost in the Copland Road end and we helped him find his seat and he had a great time. I cant remember the result but i do remember him trying to explain he was a Rangers supporter...If only he had remembered to take off the Arbroath scarf we might have believed him. I am pretty sure they scored in that game.

You are making a helluva lot of assumptions based on absolutely nothing. I ll tell you something else...I found the whole Arbroath fan thing funny and it never even crossed my mind to rush home and come on here to complain about it.

Bit of a difference one guy in a stand that holds 7000? This was a group of about 50 in a side that holds around 800.

It had potential to kick off like others have said if a dodgy last minute winner had went in.

Hope people can get in touch with the club to sort it for next Saturday.

Bit of a difference one guy in a stand that holds 7000? This was a group of about 50 in a side that holds around 800.

It had potential to kick off like others have said if a dodgy last minute winner had went in.

Hope people can get in touch with the club to sort it for next Saturday.

Had a few stenhousmuir fans near me last year aswell and nobody seemed bothered in the slightest. Only fans who will receive a hostile reception from rangers fans if sitting amongst them will be celtic, Aberdeen, Dundee United ,hibs and hearts and maybe a few other premier league teams. Although I can understand Dumbarton fans frustrations.

I can understand if the auld creep was using the camcorder to cherish the memories of his beloved sons of william before they go bust again. However, the sons supporters were the focus of the p***ks attention. Which is just bloody weird.

Congratulations on behaving like a civilized human being. Whats any of this got to do with someone pointing a camera in your face?

Yet again a topic gets taken over by the non football matters. Rangers won the game and were assisted by the referee to a certain extent. Firstly he gave a soft penalty (one of the Sunday ones mentioned it). McCulloch and Boyd constantly elbowing players in the back and getting away with it. The so called foul on Smith which got one of our players booked. Smith should have been sent off for it was a two footed tackle he put in and claimed he injured himself to avoid the booking - that's cheating in my opinion and the ref fell for it. The BBC's Derek (unbiased against Rangers) Ferguson said our player should have been sent off - what a joke he is,must have his blue tinted specs on. The foul on Kirkpatrick went unpunished and it is unknown how long we may be without his services. I will not be going to next week's game but I will continue to support my team from afar.

I will leave the comments of the away fans behaviour, policing and stewarding to others and will comment that the sooner they are not in the same league as us the better.

It is completely impossible to stop away fans getting tickets for the home end. The best the club can do is manage it and tbh they did that yesterday. There was no trouble and the game passed without incident. Trying to eject 40 or 50 fans is only going to exarcebate things. As for Dumbarton fans not getting tickets the crowd was only 1850 so that would suggest that any Dumbarton fan who wanted a ticket got one.

Yep, pretty much sums it up, and I do think that there a few Sons fans on here very happy to stir shit. An element of the Rangers support is distinctly unlikeable but trying to create imaginary scenarios in which something may or may not occur is frankly silly.

The word I have is that the police 'advised' the stewards to let peaceful away fans remain in place yesterday and that seems a sensible course of action. I actually found the occasion extremely tame, the game was only ever heading towards one outcome and that had the effect of pacifying everyone.

Perhaps Sons fans should de-twist their knickers and demand to know when our players are going to put in challenge outside of their own box - starting next Saturday.

Archived