Jim Murphy

ForzaDundee

Jesus, I'm not comparing Murphy to a rapist. Im using another example to break it down into the most simple terms possible for you, the idea that charities aren't obliged to take money from anywhere.

It's not a case of "different opinions", Jim Murphy won't have seen the inside of the launderette that does his suits in years, he doesn't have to nip down the foodbank to drop in his donation. He's there to use the place to legitimise himself and the charity has decided helping him do this is unacceptable.

Completely fair enough.

Of course they aren't obliged to take a donation. I'm just commenting that they're utterly pathetic for not doing so.

The same if the person below was a No voter and refused a donation from Salmond because he thought an independent Scotland would be an economic disaster and increase poverty.

post-673-14147843476531_thumb.jpg

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still doesn't get it.

Political 'opinions' and literally having voted for policies which a range of charities have directly attributed to the need for foodbanks in the first place, are not the same thing.

If someone running a foodbank felt it was Alex Salmond's fault that they're so busy, then aye they should probably tell him to bolt. That person would be an absolute moron though.

Jesus, I'm not comparing Murphy to a rapist. Im using another example to break it down into the most simple terms possible for you, the idea that charities aren't obliged to take money from anywhere.

It's not a case of "different opinions", Jim Murphy won't have seen the inside of the launderette that does his suits in years, he doesn't have to nip down the foodbank to drop in his donation. He's there to use the place to legitimise himself and the charity has decided helping him do this is unacceptable.

Completely fair enough.

He wasn't anywhere near the actual foodbank though. There was a collection directly outside where he was and he stopped to drop off a bag of food. I don't really see where the hypocrisy comes in.

No doubt if he ignored it these same idiots would be shouting him down for that.

Unite are opposed to Jim Murphy becoming leader. Always a positive sign (despite being a member of Unite they do basically disagree with me on everything when it comes to Labour Party politics).

Jim Murphy could be our Tony Blair!

I work as a housing officer and sit down and help people on benefits with their household budgets. I have to say, I don't agree with all of the governments welfare reforms especially the effects on the disabled, but it would be stupid to claim everything is bad about it.

I know a number of families effected by the bedroom tax where members of the household have had to go out and get work, whereas in the past they were happy to sit on benefits. I don't think they'd go back to the rut they were in now. Our arrears have actually went down amongst those effected by the bedroom tax, which we didn't expect.

There is a lot of short term pain, don't get me wrong and unfortunately food banks are needed because of the shortfall in people's incomes, but I can still see that in a few years time, overall, the balance could be better between sitting on benefits and work paying. It isn't hypocrisy for someone to believe this, but also thinking helping those in need at the moment is a good thing to do.

I'm sure these are your genuine beliefs but you do need to appreciate that your take on the situation isn't necessarily the truth. Working as a housing officer you are part of the system and are directly instructed to push a particular line. You're not an impartial observer.

I'd like to see some verifiable statistics that rent arrears have gone down amongst tenants affected by the bedroom tax. It sounds like total shite.

I'm sure these are your genuine beliefs but you do need to appreciate that your take on the situation isn't necessarily the truth. Working as a housing officer you are part of the system and are directly instructed to push a particular line. You're not an impartial observer.

I'd like to see some verifiable statistics that rent arrears have gone down amongst tenants affected by the bedroom tax. It sounds like total shite.

I'm not instructed to push any line at all. My company, like most RSLs are totally against these reforms.

I have the figures, but I can hardly link you to them on here.

Btw, we did loads of preparation in the build up to the introduction of the bedroom tax. That probably helped and a lot more people on benefits now have a grip on their finances compared to before. Here is an example from another HA.

http://www.24dash.com/news/housing/2014-04-16-Bedroom-tax-preparations-pay-off-for-social-landlord-as-arrears-drop

I'm not instructed to push any line at all. My company, like most RSLs are totally against these reforms.

I have the figures, but I can hardly link you to them on here.

Ah right. I assumed LA rather than RSL. Fair enough, perhaps you aren't being fed a particular line. You're still a landlord though and therefore not an impartial observer.

Your suggestion that rent arrears have gone down amongst tenants affected by the bedroom tax is still total pish.

http://Bedroom tax: one in seven households 'face eviction' - The ...

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/bedroom-tax-tenants-hit-by-rising-rent-arrears/6529176.article

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/exclusive-50000-people-are-now-facing-eviction-after-bedroom-tax-8825074.html

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bedroom-tax-tenants-Bristol-rent-arrears-reach/story-22041638-detail/story.html

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2013/07/welfare08072013

If you have figures which contradict these and the thousands of other published accounts online feel free to share them. Perhaps your anecdotal experience is a statistical fluke or maybe you're seeing what you want to see.

Btw, we did loads of preparation in the build up to the introduction of the bedroom tax. That probably helped and a lot more people on benefits now have a grip on their finances compared to before. Here is an example from another HA.

http://www.24dash.com/news/housing/2014-04-16-Bedroom-tax-preparations-pay-off-for-social-landlord-as-arrears-drop

That's a PR puff piece for an RSL and singularly fails to state that those affected by the bedroom tax have seen their arrears reduced.

It isn't total pish. It's exactly what has happened at my housing association and the one I linked you to. I know some RSLs have had less success, but it probably has a lot to do with the preparation work (or lack of) as much as anything else.

It isn't total pish. It's exactly what has happened at my housing association and the one I linked you to. I know some RSLs have had less success, but it probably has a lot to do with the preparation work (or lack of) as much as anything else.

The article you linked to does not state that those tenants impacted by the bedroom tax have seen arrears drop. It states that overall from a stock of 38,000 arrears have dropped by £210,000. There is no reference to what has happened to those affected by the bedroom tax. You can claim what you like about your own HA but if arrears have dropped amongst tenants affected by the bedroom tax at your Association (because they were previously too feckless to work :rolleyes: ) then it's a statistical anomaly and of no real relevance to the argument.

There's no shortage of actual statistics readily available and the impact is incontrovertible.

I attended a recent CIH training day in Spennymoor where both the Home Group and Livin (formally Sedgefield Borough Council) said similar. I am actually impartial, unlike you, as I actually visit tenants effected and I have a bit of expertise unlike you.

I don't agree with the Bedroom Tax actually. I think the negatives, especially for disabled people who aren't exempt, outweigh any positives, but it annoys me when I see people on threads like this with narrow political views spouting bollocks because they read propaganda and shit to back up their politics. I can quite easily see the positives and negatives of all the welfare reforms. I can see why the parties believe what they do on it. I analyse this, plus use my experience to draw my conclusions. I don't need to read a political manifesto or listen to a speech from Alex Salmond to tell me what my opinion should be.

You seem to be confusing personal experience with objectivity. You also seem to be assuming that just because I've not disclosed any personal experience myself that I have none. Or 'expertise' as you so humbly put it.

Anyhoo, I'll leave you with your presumptions in peace now. If you find any actual facts to back up your presumptions do please post them.

Salmond has donated a third of his First Minster salary to charity. Would Jim Murphy?

Only if he thought hea could claim it back in his expenses.

The Labour Party in Scotland have a wonderful choice, either a right-wing, pro-Westminster clown with some easily attackable personal history whos leadership will further divide the Scottish party and reinforce Lamont's valid criticisms; or, another nonentity in the Gray, Lamont mould who will make Milliband look like Mr Personality.

Archived