Jim Murphy

ForzaDundee

No surprise to see you calling someone a scumbag from the safety of your mum's attic. Anytime you feel like calling me a scumbag to my face just let me know.

I'd quite happily call you a scumbag to your face and tell you exactly what I think of your type of horrible politics.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be interesting to see how many more of the serving Scottish Labour MP's and MSP's decide to stand down and leave front line politics before the next set of elections. It appears that they agree with the current line being pushed that they are f*cked in Scotland, and want to get out of their own accord rather than risk being pushed. I actually don't think the situation will be as bad as is currently being predicted for them, but they are doing their best to make it worse.

I'm concerned that there may have been a pejorative motive underlying the use of the word "old".

There is.

Trying to arrange fights with strangers on the internet of course shows that you have utterly lost both at the internet, and in life in general.

For young people, it's embarrassing. But for old codgers it's way beyond that. A bit like the toothless simpletons you see on "Britain's Hardest Pubs".

Because they don't like him so they're desperately trying to sling any mud his way out of sheer panic.

Why would we panicking about a right winger who won't appeal to voters in Labour heartlands in the slightest ?

Scotland's spends millions a year on the priority of giving the middle classes free prescriptions.

How about spending that money on the poor instead. Just a thought.

Prescription Charges if every single person in Scotland got a free prescription

every month

£8.05 x 12 prescriptions x 5 million ~ £0.5 Billion

Eye tests if every single person in Scotland had a free eye test

£20 x 5 million ~ £0.1Billion

University tuition if every university student gets free education for

4 years

£9000 fees x 4 years x 28000 students ~ £ 1 Billion

High Speed Rail HS1, HS2 & now HS3 to cut primarily business people’s

journeys to/from London down by on average 20 minutes ~ £ 100 BILLION

Cross Rail (x2) saving Londeners around 17 minutes ~ £ 25 BILLION

...and we're paying for 10% (£12.5 BILLLION) of that despite it having minimal impact on us !

I am quite happy with the Scottish Governments priorities !

Free prescriptions cost around £60m a year.

I'm always amazed that free prescriptions gets peoples backs up when we 've just spent £37 BILLION on a pointless war in Afghanistan and will be spending £100 BILLION on Trident.

Hardly a peep on war and WMD's but mention free prescriptions and those who didn't pay their Poll Tax and some are apoplectic with rage.

Why would we panicking about a right winger who won't appeal to voters in Labour heartlands in the slightest ?

Labour didn't do too bad in Scotland during the Blair years, did they?! The SNP are hardly left wing either.

There's a lot of myths floating around about the left wing nature of the Scottish electorate and the supposed rejection of Blair. Election results are what truly measure opinion, not polls or commentators. Worth noting more people voted for Labour under Blair in 2005 than for the current Scottish Government. And that was two years AFTER Iraq had been invaded.

There's a lot of myths floating around about the left wing nature of the Scottish electorate and the supposed rejection of Blair. Election results are what truly measure opinion, not polls or commentators. Worth noting more people voted for Labour under Blair in 2005 than for the current Scottish Government. And that was two years AFTER Iraq had been invaded.

Indeed.

As I said on another thread, a Blair-led Labour would comfortably win the next election, both in the UK in general and in Scotland. He was a very popular PM up here.

Indeed.

As I said on another thread, a Blair-led Labour would comfortably win the next election, both in the UK in general and in Scotland. He was a very popular PM up here.

Except that 7 years later, I'd say perception of the man has changed a bit.

Indeed.

Many people can't see beyond the end of their own nose. When they've liked about everyone propaganda site on Facebook and are constantly bombarded with the shit, it's no surprise they have a warped view on what they think society is actually like. I've no doubt they actually believe the shit they claim to, which is why many were genuinely shocked at the referendum result.

Arguably it was 2005 before folk started to realise exactly how bad things were getting in Iraq, and when thigns started to heat up in Afghanistan as well. Rejection of the 03 invasion was constrained to the usual social and political coalitions, it wasn't until the lack of WMDs allied to the gridning attritional quality of policing Iraq in later years that the unpopularity of the action really set in. Add to that another 9 years in Afghanistan achieving not a hell of a lot. Then of course, the crash in 2008 which happened, if not on Blair's watch directly, but certainly he had played his part in manouvering the UK banking sector into a vulnerable position when the crash hit.

So, really, in 2014 would Blair, or a Blairite candidate meet with the same kind of popularity as he would've in 2005. I doubt it.

Many people can't see beyond the end of their own nose. When they've liked about everyone propaganda site on Facebook and are constantly bombarded with the shit, it's no surprise they have a warped view on what they think society is actually like. I've no doubt they actually believe the shit they claim to, which is why many were genuinely shocked at the referendum result.

Do you really think that the alternatives from the UK MSM are much better, less skewed and less filled with propaganda? Really?

Except that 7 years later, I'd say perception of the man has changed a bit.

Well, Blair's Labour did brilliantly in Scotland. Even after the whole "warmonger" stuff.

He's yesterday's man now, so it's a completely moot point.

which is why many were genuinely shocked at the referendum result.

I think some have admitted to this.

They got their "reality" from sites like this and horrific Nat blogs on the internet that told them there were these Damascene conversions to Yes all over the country and they were going to WIN!!!!!

There was a kind of stunned "WTF" reaction from a few of these types. The Colkitto/ayrmad characters that bought into this hook line and sinker and didn't realise that out in the real world people were voting No in their droves, but seemed to manage to do this without an accompanying car sticker or wee badge.

As I said somewhere else it is the perception of being an anti-scottish party that is threatening labour with electoral disaster. The Tories had healthy numbers of seats in scotland up til the early 80's from when on they were seen as particularly anti-scottish, this caused the collapse of their vote, not a sudden shift to the left.

Well, Blair's Labour did brilliantly in Scotland. Even after the whole "warmonger" stuff.

He's yesterday's man now, so it's a completely moot point.

As I pointed out, it's 2005 before the wider public turns against the Iraq occupation: The 2003 invasion was not liked by the active political left, but in general the public were, if not supportive, then indifferent so long as it was the usual short 'liberal intervention' with an easy victory and no blood to show. Brown, to an extent got the backlash for that rather than Blair.

Archived