Job Recommendations for Nicola after the SNP

Clarkston5

Doesn't surprise me.

They are probably so grateful to get a chance to speak something non-ridiculous they make more of an effort at English.

Did they ever find a gaelic speaking heidie for that Gaelic school up Inverness way? They were having some trouble with that.<_<

We should be learning Welsh down my neck of the woods anyway, as thats what was spoken here, not teuchter gaelic.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it wasn't for all those signs at the railway stations between Ayr and Glasgow being done in gaelic would any of us REALLY know where we were? Its been an important government intervention in the commuting experience

If it wasn't for all those signs at the railway stations between Ayr and Glasgow being done in gaelic would any of us REALLY know where we were? Its been an important government intervention in the commuting experience

They have this in the Central Belt too.

They have this in the Central Belt too.

Thats good. I'd hate to get lost. I wonder what percentage of gaelic speakers use these services, and what percentage wouldn't have a fucing clue where they were without them? Must be a lot to justify this surely?

We should be learning Welsh down my neck of the woods anyway, as thats what was spoken here, not teuchter gaelic.

Wrong. Unlucky.

Anyway that's not the point as you and the rest of the wums well know.

For those who might be interested the Gaelic Act has nothing to do with who spoke what where when but about recognising that Gaelic speakers in Scotland today have a right to live their normal everyday lives, as much as possible, in their language. Whether that is in Lewis or the Borders is irrelevant.

And before anybody starts the Urdu, Polish etc bullshit the Scottish Government has no duty of care to protect and promote Polish or Urdu.

Now you may take the view that is all a massive waste of time and resources. and that is your prerogative, but in most civilised countries protecting minorities and indigenous cultures is seen as a positive.

If seeing a railway sign in two languages really bothers you despite having no tangible impact on your life whatsoever I would suggest you might want to reflect on your own bigotted outlook.

Wrong. Unlucky.

For those who might be interested the Gaelic Act has nothing to do with who spoke what where when but about recognising that Gaelic speakers in Scotland today have a right to live their normal everyday lives, as much as possible, in their language. Whether that is in Lewis or the Borders is irrelevant.

And before anybody starts the Urdu, Polish etc bullshit the Scottish Government has no duty of care to protect and promote Polish or Urdu.

Now you may take the view that is all a massive waste of time and resources. and that is your prerogative, but in most civilised countries protecting minorities and indigenous cultures is seen as a positive.

If seeing a railway sign in two languages really bothers you despite having no tangible impact on your life whatsoever I would suggest you might want to reflect on your own bigotted outlook.

No. Its right actually.

Thats good. I'd hate to get lost. I wonder what percentage of gaelic speakers use these services, and what percentage wouldn't have a fucing clue where they were without them? Must be a lot to justify this surely?

What's to justify?

Scotrail had a major renewal of all station signage. When doing this they added Gaelic placenames. A sign costs the same whatever is on it they don't charge by the fucking letter.

Wrong. Unlucky.

Why not? More people in Scotland speak it than speak Gaelic after all. If they are going to spunk money about on a dead language they might as well spunk it around on a language that people actually use daily.

What's to justify?

Scotrail had a major renewal of all station signage. When doing this they added Gaelic placenames. A sign costs the same whatever is on it they don't charge by the fucking letter.

Why did that add this? Its never been required before. Ever.

Gaelic is a discussion for another day. but basicly no. we are not ireland

Can't argue with that.

1.2% at present. We must increase that number!

Personally I would have it compulsory to learn Gaidhlig in schools

Then let's hope the SG put that in their next manifesto.

Wonder where they would get the teachers from?

Wonder what would be removed from the curriculum to let this happen?

In 2013 101 pupils sat the Higher Gaelic exam

210 sat higher latin.

One of them is a dead language. :lol:

Archived