Job Recommendations for Nicola after the SNP

Clarkston5

For those who might be interested the Gaelic Act has nothing to do with who spoke what where when but about recognising that Gaelic speakers in Scotland today have a right to live their normal everyday lives, as much as possible, in their language. Whether that is in Lewis or the Borders is irrelevant.

And before anybody starts the Urdu, Polish etc bullshit the Scottish Government has no duty of care to protect and promote Polish or Urdu.

Now you may take the view that is all a massive waste of time and resources. and that is your prerogative, but in most civilised countries protecting minorities and indigenous cultures is seen as a positive.

Racist, plain and simple. Are you nigel farrage?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it still true that 30% of the BBC Scotland programme budget is spent on BBC Alba.

Nope, about 10%.

Well worth it too.

Would be interested to see if there's any creative accountancy involved in that. Seems to me the resources should be targeted at the people who actually speak the language natively in the Highlands and Hebrides rather than maintaining the pretence that it is a second national language.

Dont bother arguing with them 2 p***ks its a waste of time. FWIW i want gaelic to survive and flourish, im not a speaker but i do apreciate its uniquenes. The reality doesnt look so promising however, having spoke to some people from thee areas the story ive got is that its mostly elderly people who natter away in gaelic all day every day to each other. youngsters may have some knowledge all the way up to full fluency but tend to speak a b*****dised english/scots with a few gaelic words chucked in. IF this is true then as a linving breathing language its fucked!

The same story with urban children in ireland going toall irish speaking schools. they were 100% fluent and done all their lessons in irish. but at dinner time at night time and at the weekends with their mates they spoke english. Thats not realy much use for the language.

Dont make the mistakes of ireland. dont uset to pull english speakers heart strings dont use it for political point scoring and dont do it as a "look how un english we are with our own wee language hardly anyone uses " use it for what it is. a way of talking to each other

Dont bother arguing with them 2 p***ks its a waste of time. FWIW i want gaelic to survive and flourish, im not a speaker but i do apreciate its uniquenes. The reality doesnt look so promising however, having spoke to some people from thee areas the story ive got is that its mostly elderly people who natter away in gaelic all day every day to each other. youngsters may have some knowledge all the way up to full fluency but tend to speak a b*****dised english/scots with a few gaelic words chucked in. IF this is true then as a linving breathing language its fucked!

The same story with urban children in ireland going toall irish speaking schools. they were 100% fluent and done all their lessons in irish. but at dinner time at night time and at the weekends with their mates they spoke english. Thats not realy much use for the language.

Dont make the mistakes of ireland. dont uset to pull english speakers heart strings dont use it for political point scoring and dont do it as a "look how un english we are with our own wee language hardly anyone uses " use it for what it is. a way of talking to each other

Gaelic is growing amongst younger people and initiatives like BBC alba and public bodies using the language help young people live their life in their language.

It's a very lazy accusation thrown about by the ignorant that there is some link between Gaelic and nationalism. I'm sure that would be news to brian wilson and the rest of the west highland free press crowd and even the ultra conservative God squad in the isles.

The Gaelic act was brought in in 2005 by the lib/ lab coalition and had cross party support.

I personally see no need whatsoever to try and establish it as a national language or make it compulsary like the Irish did but if you want to speak it you should be able to do so.

It is unfortunate that Gaels are an easy target for bigots in the central belt but it was ever this.

It's also heartening to see reynard and Hb concerned about minority languages. Maybe the Tories will have an Urdu or Polish act in their next holyrood manifesto.

You should attempt to master English first before you make an arse of yourself attempting something else.

Gaelic is growing amongst younger people and initiatives like BBC alba and public bodies using the language help young people live their life in their language.

It's a very lazy accusation thrown about by the ignorant that there is some link between Gaelic and nationalism. I'm sure that would be news to brian wilson and the rest of the west highland free press crowd and even the ultra conservative God squad in the isles.

The Gaelic act was brought in in 2005 by the lib/ lab coalition and had cross party support.

I personally see no need whatsoever to try and establish it as a national language or make it compulsary like the Irish did but if you want to speak it you should be able to do so.

It is unfortunate that Gaels are an easy target for bigots in the central belt but it was ever this.

It's also heartening to see reynard and Hb concerned about minority languages. Maybe the Tories will have an Urdu or Polish act in their next holyrood manifesto.

Yes. Its absolutely rife with the young people. They are falling over themselves to learn this incredibly useful life skill.

No I don't.

What do you think though.?

Do you think scotrail get an invoice for a tenner for the sign at Ayr and 30 for the sign at Invergowrie or do you think they get a price for the job for fitting out the station's nationally?

So you were basically talking utter horse shite?

Archived