The Missing - BBC1

Clarkston5

Absolutely loved the first series, and series two is shaping up nicely.  The first three episodes have been all about laying the foundations of the story, drip-feeding us the events of 2014 with the devastation they caused being shown in the 2016 timeline.  Given the ending this week (in both timelines) we're all set for things to really progress in 2016.

Baptiste is one of my favourite fictional detectives.  He's some guy.  And I've been really impressed by how they've shown the way people have changed in the two years between timelines.  It's obvious for Sam and Baptiste, and easy for Matthew, but even Gemma looks noticeably more haggard.

Bit of a slower episode this week I thought. Spoilered thoughts on it below -

Spoiler

So I assume after last night that Alice is dead - and her and the other girl switched round before the fire started? The girl sat behind must have been Sophie.

All the scenes with the old guy with dementia are pretty tense, you never know when he is going to haplessly admit to something.

In terms of the poor butcher - his wife was a mate of Henry Read - she must be involved somewhere with the peadophile ring too.

2 hours ago, juansebastianvernon said:

Bit of a slower episode this week I thought. Spoilered thoughts on it below -

Hide contents

So I assume after last night that Alice is dead - and her and the other girl switched round before the fire started? The girl sat behind must have been Sophie.

All the scenes with the old guy with dementia are pretty tense, you never know when he is going to haplessly admit to something.

In terms of the poor butcher - his wife was a mate of Henry Read - she must be involved somewhere with the peadophile ring too.

Slower perhaps, but still fascinating.  Some thoughts of my own below.

I've been spinning different theories around my head since last night, and have come to the sensible conclusion that Alice

is dead.  The girl who returned is Sophie but with a serious case of Stockholm Syndrome.  She planted dead Alice in the shed, presumably with the help of Stone.

The thing that doesn't quite add up to me there is that Baptiste still thinks in 2016 there's a chance Alice is alive, despite the fact he must know about the DNA test that proved Sam was the father of the body in the shed.

Therefore, assuming Baptiste isn't wrong, either that test was manipulated by Stone or Sam is also the father of this mysterious third girl from the picture and now the shed.  The potential implications of that really stretch the bounds of credibility, but given the entirely unpredictable sequence of events that befell poor Ollie in series one, I wouldn't rule it out.

Agree there's more to the attack on Mrs Hertz.  It doesn't really make sense that she'd be so viciously targeted just because her husband had been arrested for abducting kids.  She evidently doesn't like Stone, and I'll bet she was in Iraq with them during the first Gulf War.

8 hours ago, Radford said:

Hide contents

How did she get out of the locked shed?

She must have had an accomplice, presumably Stone. I can't remember if we saw it the second time or not, but certainly the first time Matthew locked her in, he left the key in the padlock. I remember thinking that was a bit odd at the time, but adds up now. (not suggesting he's in on it, just that it needed to be done for the narrative).

I'm four episodes into season one and really enjoying it. I had to stop at 1245 last night.

Season two is happily piling up in my Sky+ box. I'll get round to it eventually. 

Now it's picking up pace quite nicely, when Baptiste said three men killed the girl in Iraq me and the wife were convinced it was going to be Sam involved and it was some kind of karma. So many loose ends to tie up and think will be plenty of twists between now and the end. 

Spoiler

They have mentioned a couple of times that the DNA of the girl in the shed matched Sam's (no mention of the wife)- once in the actual episode, and again in a 'last episode review' at the start of the episode just past. I am thinking that might have something to do with it.

Bit gutted that is the end of the Baptiste/young German cop bromance. Baptiste's comment 'But it was still on the list eh' was excellent.

28 minutes ago, Bearwithme said:

This has been terrific, so many twists and turns. Not so great last night imho but hopefully it'll pick up again.

Last night felt like the calm before the storm.  Only two episodes to go.  Next week Baptiste will work out what happened, and the final one will be bringing it all to a conclusion.

But if Baptiste dies before he can tell anyone what happened, it'll be the most 2016 thing to happen in 2016.

23 minutes ago, Forfinn said:

Last night felt like the calm before the storm.  Only two episodes to go.  Next week Baptiste will work out what happened, and the final one will be bringing it all to a conclusion.

But if Baptiste dies before he can tell anyone what happened, it'll be the most 2016 thing to happen in 2016.

I take your point. I hope it comes to a clear conclusion. It can be frustrating when this type of thing still isn't resolved after a fairly lengthy series full of puzzles.

4 minutes ago, Bearwithme said:

I take your point. I hope it comes to a clear conclusion. It can be frustrating when this type of thing still isn't resolved after a fairly lengthy series full of puzzles.

Especially if it's something we could never even have had an inkling about.  The sequence of events that led to poor Olly's demise came entirely out of left-field, even if the perpetrator/s himself/themselves were reasonably predictable.

For the first time in the series I found myself getting bored last night. can't be bothered with the relationship stuff with the husband and the army girl or the son and his crazy pals, just want Baptiste to the end solving the case, didn't really think much was added to the story until the last 5 mins 

That army lassie permanently looks like someone has rammed a hot poker up her arse. Particularly annoying.

She was fantastic in Breaking Bad and Kevin and Perry in equal measures, wouldn't mind being a hot poker in my next life though.

I kind of wish the mother would team up with Baptiste, I would move heaven and earth if it was my kid. Maybe that is the reason why I am not a screen writer though.