Do You Know How To Cook?

buying a set of digital kitchen scales is a worthwhile investment for portion control, that stat about pasta above is true enough for me.

I just put the pasta into the bowl I'm going to eat it from before cooking. If you allow for a bit of expansion it's usually a no bad way of cooking a reasonable sized portion.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I make damn fine omlettes, all the Mrs. RNs have told me, plus all 3 stepdaughters, so must be doing something right.

Can't bake though. and desserts are not my thing either, never really wanted to make them as I rarely/never eat them (don't have a sweet tooth)

Baking is much more rigid as timing and temperature can be critical in deciding whether you have a cake or a piece of carbon or a piece of goo.

What I will say (this goes for professional chefs) we work through service obviously (so don't get normal meals at normal times); but we end up eating shite fast food just to get calories cos we are on our feet 10+hrs a day.

Have only ever managed to put together fry-ups and very basic pasta dishes. After that everything else is frozen food getting banged in the oven.

Would love to be able to cook proper food, but like others I simply can't be arsed and buying all the different ingredients would cost too much money for my liking.

Other than a couple of sausages, what is actually on that plate??

I can spot carrots, potatoes and parsnip (I think). Edit onion, chicken breast (maybe) bacon (maybe) Edit II: Make that red onion.

Not sure about the rest.

Tonight I am cooking spaghetti carbonara which is possibly the easiest dish ever.

Other than a couple of sausages, what is actually on that plate??

I can spot carrots, potatoes and parsnip (I think). Edit onion, chicken breast (maybe) bacon (maybe) Edit II: Make that red onion.

Not sure about the rest.

Tonight I am cooking spaghetti carbonara which is possibly the easiest dish ever.

Chicken, Bacon (hidden underneath the bacon is stuffing), Sausages, Red onion, Parsnips, Carrots, Butternut squash and gravy. Was a dece end to a shitty Monday :thumsup2

Nae potatoes though

When I was young I worked for a guy who, despite being in his mid-fifties, hadn't the faintest idea how to cook anything. Anything at all. His mother and then his wife had made every meal for him. At one point, his wife had to go into hospital for an emergency operation and I genuinely think he would have starved to death if it hadn't been for the kindness of their friends who took turns feeding him. I don't think he even knew how to work a tin-opener.

What was pathetic was they'd raised a teenage son to be just as useless. The first time they went on holiday and left him alone, he lived on cornflakes and crisps for 2 weeks and wondered aloud why he had no energy.

No way did I want to be like that.

If you can put ingredients in a pot and stir them, you can cook. And there are a million books aimed at beginners which will allow you to expand your horizons beyond that. Pizza and takeaways are fine occasionally, when you're in a rush or working late but if you're just going to be at home for the evening, why wouldn't you want to make something good to eat?

If anyone is reading this thread thinking, 'I can't cook to save my life!' but would like to try something very simple. Try making soup. Just throw things together and it usually works as long as you have the basics right.

Here's an awesome spicy Mexican bean soup dish you can make simply by using the micro. Link.

When I moved into a flat and had to cook for myself I just ate instant junk as did the other guys but someone suggested that we take turns to scale up and cook the same rubbish for four, thus only having to cook one day in four, and out of nowhere we designed the blueprint for Come Dine With Me and it became ultra-competitive. We all learned from each other, including what not to do, and in a kind of upwards spiral all became adventurous cooks and even looked forward to our turn to cook.

Archived