The NFL 2015 Draft Thread

lichtie23

The college regular season has come to an end and now eyes will turn to the 2015 NFL draft. Over the next month players will declare for this upcoming seasons draft putting more scrutiny on there bowl performances.

The "experts" expect Oregon QB Marcus Marriota to be the number 1 overall pick. The Hawaiian native has lead the Ducks to a Pac12 championship and a place in the inaugural College Football Playoff and his escapability and improvisional skills have made him a very highly rated talent. Another QB who could be in the mix for the 1st pick is Florida State's Jamies Winston. Winston is undefeated as a starter (27-0) in the last 2 seasons and won the 2013 Heisman as well as leading the Seminoles to a National championship. Winston is still a Sophomore though and may decide to stay in college for at least another year. Teams in need of a QB include the Buccaneers (who currently sit with the number 1 pick with 3 games remaining), the Titans, (4th pick), the Jets (5th pick) and the Redskins (6th pick).

Other top talents expected to declare include Alabama's stand out WR Amari Cooper, LSU stud DE Leonard Williams, Missouri DE/LB Shane Ray, Oregon CB Efo Ekpre-Oluma and Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon who I personally believe is the best college running back in the country....closely followed by Todd Gurley out of Georgia.

I love the look of Amari Cooper. He continues to improve every game and has put up great numbers this season averaging over 130 yards a game receiving. I don't think he is quite as good as Mike Evans from last season but is certainly on par with Sammy Watkins and OBJ. Leonard Williams has a unique mix of size and speed that has seen him compared to players like Julius Peppers. Shane Ray was kicked out of the SEC championship game for "targeting" but he is a definite talent that has the flexibility to play either DE or outside linebacker. Ekpre-Oluma is rated as probably the best corner in the draft. He might not be the tallest at under 6 foot but his is very quick and seems to be a ball hawk. Looks to have the flexibilty to play safety as well. Melvin Gordon and Todd Gurley have put up scary good rushing totals this season (Even with Gurley missing 1 game due to suspension) but I can see at least 1 of them dropping into the 2nd round as I dont believe the demand for RBs is as high as it use to be and teams are willing to wait to draft one in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Also look out for OT Andrus Peat (Stanford), DE Dante Fowler Jnr (Florida) and CB Trae Waynes (Michigan State)

Im sure some of the juniors that are expected to declare will indeed decide to stay in college another season.

Lets keep all our draft talk in here up until and during the draft.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if Amari Cooper is as good as the top 3 receivers last year. His route running is so good and his cuts are made at full speed without tipping off the DB. He can use that same shiftiness to get off press coverage and has the speed and acceleration to be a great deep ball threat. However, I think he lacks ball skills, often drops contested catches/catches in traffic and doesn't have that X factor in the open field despite being able to out run defenders at times.

At this very early stage of the process I actually prefer Dorial Green-Beckham who is worthy of a thread of his own. Let's forget the off the field issues for a minute. He's definitely not the perfect receiver and struggles with route running and separating from defenders. But you can just throw the ball to him regardless and he will catch it and make a play. He's 6'6" and uses every inch to gain leverage over the defender to out muscle, out leap and out play in contested situations. He has great ball skills and uses his soft hands to catch everything thrown his way and also has the speed to make plays in the open field and has some elusiveness to him in a similar way to Mike Evans (although not to that level).

greenbeckham.gif

I like Hundley, where is he slated to go? The Rams will be in the QB market I'd expect.

The way I see it, there's only Mariota and Winston in the 1st (in that order). I think Hundley is a 3rd Rounder but he is largely projected (at this early stage) in the 2nd Round.

Trevone Boykin is a guy I really like too but I don't know if he's declaring or what.

Say it again, Redskins won't draft a QB. Certainly not in the first round. We have three on the roster, and RG3 and Cousins will certainly be back unless someone offers us a decent trade.

OL and a S is what we will look for if possible in the first and second, even if that means trading down.

• 2 weeks later...

Love love love Duke. He has vision, balance agility, speed and enough functional power to be a 3 down back in the NFL. His lateral quickness reminds me of LeSean McCoy.

I actually prefer him to Melvin Gordon at the moment.

NFL Draft Order:

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

2. Tennesse Titans

3. Jacksonville Jaguars

4. Oakland Raiders

5. Washington Redskins

6. New York Jets

7. Chicago Bears

8. Atlanta Falcons

9. New York Giants

10. St Louis Rams

11. Minnesota Vikings

12. Cleveland Browns

13. New Orleans Saints

14. Miami Dolphins

15. San Francisco 49ers

16. Houston Texans

17. Kansas City Chiefs AND San Diego Chargers - A Coin toss will decide the order of pick

19. Cleveland Brown (from Buffalo Bills)

20. Philadelphia Eagles

-------------------------------------

21-32 PLayoff Teams

So what is everyone looking for from this draft, and the next FA list?

'Skins badly need OL - in fact every position on the line that is right of Trent Williams.

We need 2x C/G, competition for Bradford at QB and an OLB. We also need a TE, since Jared Cook is awesome at running fast for a big guy but useless at the rather fundamental catching/blocking thing.

Wouldn't say no to an elite wideout should one be kicking around too.

We need 2x C/G, competition for Bradford at QB and an OLB. We also need a TE, since Jared Cook is awesome at running fast for a big guy but useless at the rather fundamental catching/blocking thing.

Wouldn't say no to an elite wideout should one be kicking around too.

Cook was your leading receiver this year wasn't he?

Archived