Question Time

Elixir

To be fair we would have done the same years ago (FPTP).

There is something fundamentally wrong when a party can get 4 million votes and only one MP.

He would be quite right (in his view) to complain that the Jocks got 56 MPs for a lot less votes.

We were saying the same years ago about the Tories, Labour & Liberals in Scotland.

That's because the SNP took 50% of the total votes available in seats they stood in.

If UKIP had they numbers in England, they'd wiped up.

To be fair we would have done the same years ago (FPTP).

There is something fundamentally wrong when a party can get 4 million votes and only one MP.

He would be quite right (in his view) to complain that the Jocks got 56 MPs for a lot less votes.

We were saying the same years ago about the Tories, Labour & Liberals in Scotland.

Yes ukip got more votes than the SNP but they stood in 600+ seats, SNP only 59.

But I do agree with Farage on this ONE AND ONLY POINT

That's because the SNP took 50% of the total votes available in seats they stood in.

49.999999999999999% of the vote but nearly all the seats. I support the SNP but the system is undoubtedly unfair.

Look at the Tories getting absolute control with just 37% of the vote.

[quote name="Mr Bairn" post="9470646" timestamp="

Look at the Tories getting absolute control with just 37% of the vote.

Which is fair enough IMO considering you could vote for about 8 parties, winning 37 percent is pretty good going

Which is fair enough IMO considering you could vote for about 8 parties, winning 37 percent is pretty good going

I still think that STV would be a better system, I don't see a hung parliament as a bad thing.

I think a party should only be able to get absolute control if they get a majority of votes, tbh I'm pretty happy that the SNP no longer have a majority at Holyrood.

Aye that's right enough but what about the years, decades even, where the SNP got a reasonable percentage of the votes and won f**k all.

I still think that STV would be a better system, I don't see a hung parliament as a bad thing.

I think a party should only be able to get absolute control if they get a majority of votes, tbh I'm pretty happy that the SNP no longer have a majority at Holyrood.

Don't the SNP still have a majority when you remove the presiding officer?

I dinnae see a hung parliament as a bad thing either.

If the voting means nae majority then so be it.

I am first and foremost a Democrat (and a Republican).

Where would I fit in in American politics?

But I wid put my principals aside until independence.

I want a full hoose at Holyrood, at Cooncils and at the EU elections.

When we get our independence then is the time tae talk of fair voting/elections.

Don't the SNP still have a majority when you remove the presiding officer?

Actually I forgot that they got their majority back when Margo died

They won 69 seats of 129, gave up one to the speakers chair, three of them defected and they lost a seat in a by-election

That gave them 64 of 128, enough to tie any vote but not to win it

Margo passing made it 64 of 127