Top 3 Scottish League Club Names

Other 'shipyarders' / 'ship-owners' names include Hall Russell Utd and Salvesons BC.

Royal Albert and Hawick Royal Albert both take their names from a ship owned by a Lanarkshire coal magnate, IIRC.

How many different units of geographic division can we come-up with?

Preston North End (and various others)

Knockbreda Parish

Dulwich Hamlet

Northampton Town (and many others)

Stevenage Borough / Johnstone Burgh

Brechin City (and many others)

Ross County

Edited by HibeeJibee

Re: Albion Rovers. Isn't albion a former name of the main island of the British Isles?

My favourites in no order and leaving my own team out in case of bias; Queen of the South, Gala Fairydean and Benburb.

I thought it was the Latin word for England?

Albion originates from Greek: and it was used to refer to what we today call Britain, or the north, or Scotland. Derivatives of it include Alba, Alban (e.g. St Albans), Albany, and Albania. However in football terms it's simply used as a suffix like Thistle, Athletic or whatever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albion

Albion Rovers were formed by the merger of local clubs Albion and Rovers... Instead of the sensible thing of calling themself Whifflet United they went for 'Albion Rovers'.

Albion originates from Greek: and it was used to refer to what we today call Britain, or the north, or Scotland. Derivatives of it include Alba, Alban (e.g. St Albans), Albany, and Albania. However in football terms it's simply used as a suffix like Thistle, Athletic or whatever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albion

Albion Rovers were formed by the merger of local clubs Albion and Rovers... Instead of the sensible thing of calling themself Whifflet United they went for 'Albion Rovers'.

Worst name ever, was there not talk of changing the name to include Coatbridge in it? As I said earlier I doubt Ross County would be as successful if just called Dingwall and a PT fan saying he thinks that if they'd named thereselves differently they might of attracted more folk.

Scottish football always seems to have loved its horticultural connections. Can people think of more flowers/plants/trees?

Partick Thistle

Linlithgow Rose

Broxburn Shamrock

Dundonald Bluebell

Ormiston Primrose

Easthouses Lily

Dundee Violets

Royal Oak

There must be others.

Scottish football always seems to have loved its horticultural connections. Can people think of more flowers/plants/trees?

Partick Thistle

Linlithgow Rose

Broxburn Shamrock

Dundonald Bluebell

Ormiston Primrose

Easthouses Lily

Dundee Violets

Royal Oak

There must be others.

Portland Timbers.

FC Honka of Finland. Honka is Finnish for Old Pinewood.

ETA. Apparently I am not aware as to what the term "Scottish football" means, hence me taking this thread internationally. :lol:

Edited by TheCelt67

Partick Thistle

Linlithgow Rose

Broxburn Shamrock

Dundonald Bluebell

Ormiston Primrose

Easthouses Lily

Dundee Violets

Royal Oak

There must be others.

We also have Firhill and Fir Park as grounds and lost Firs Park too.

Other 'shipyarders' / 'ship-owners' names include Hall Russell Utd and Salvesons BC.

Royal Albert and Hawick Royal Albert both take their names from a ship owned by a Lanarkshire coal magnate, IIRC.

Knockbreda Parish

Dulwich Hamlet

Ross County

Aberdeen East End

South Liverpool

I'll throw in another couple that I like. Glasgow Perthshire always appealed to me being from Perthshire and living in Glasgow for a while. Dennistoun Waverley is another good one as I lived there as a student - they're no longer on the go I'm afraid.

Great thread.

There was also a Bridgeton Waverley! Maryhilll Harp and Ardeer Recreation

Partick Thistle

Linlithgow Rose

Broxburn Shamrock

Dundonald Bluebell

Ormiston Primrose

Easthouses Lily

Dundee Violets

Royal Oak

There must be others.

Hill of Beath Hawthorn unintentionally mentioned above.

Knockbreda Parish

Dulwich Hamlet

Ross County

Aston Villa(ge)

maybe not